PDA

View Full Version : New to Glocks...what is reliable?

Red Leader
04-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Hey guys,

I'm starting to look into Glocks a little more. I like the capacty-size-reliability ratio. Considering possibly picking one up in the future. I'm looking to stay with 9mm, and have been trying to do some research on the G17/19.

I don't know much about the different generations, other than Gen 4 has been having those issues with recoil springs and extractors and possibly more.

What would you consider to be the most reliable Glock platform and why? I've heard the Gen 2/Gen 3 G17 is about as close as you can get. Any particular reason? Gen 2 more reliable than Gen 3? Other way around? How about Gen 1? What about the LCI extractors? When did those start appearing on Glocks? Any sense in staying with the flat-style extractor?

I like the idea of the G19 size pistol. However I've heard that even some of the late gen 3 G19s have some problem parts. Also heard that some of the Gen 2s have the old style extractor (non angled?) and no chamfer to the barrel hood and no chamber relief. So, with all this...I'm kinda clueless as to where to go. Maybe there's a sweet spot right in between the two?

If I got a G17 I would probably get a grip chop and reduction - I really like the size of the grip on the G19. However, is there a consensus on the longer slide having a more reliable recoil stroke than the shorter G19? Between the two (G17 and G19) is one more susceptible to the a weaker grip than the other?

The Gen 2 G17s I've seen seemed to be priced pretty well. What about the 6 part upgrade? How would I tell if the pistol had that? Is there something that identifies it by serial number?

I know there are a lot of Glock gurus here, so I'm asking at the right place. I would like to request a some guidance from those who have a little bit more experience than I do. Okay, a lot more:D

Thanks for any input guys! It is much appreciated:cool:

BigT
04-22-2011, 12:35 AM
The LCI extractors have been around for almost a decade. Don't stress about it.

My default suggestion is the Gen3 G19 as a outstanding do anything gun. My preference personally if the Gen3 G17 as I really believe it's GLOCK's best gun. There have been some some occasional issues mentioned on this and other sites but the vast majority of those guns out the box will run like a raped ape. And the small glitches have afaik all been easily fixable.

While I know RTF2 is very popular at the moment bear in mind my experience has been that it is rough against bare skin and grabby on some materials. If I had to do it again I wouldn't personally select a RTF2 gun for CCW. As a range or duty set up it is awesome though. My G 17 with it's RTF 2 frame is moving over to be a range only gun and my new G30 obviously isn't an RTF.

JConn
04-22-2011, 06:43 AM
I'm probably not the most qualified to answer this, but I think most people would agree if you buy a gen 3 Glock you will most likely have a great gun. Keep in mind the internet is a weird place and a lot of these problems probably only effect a very small number of people. I would go out on a limb and say buying a gen 3 Glock gives you the same "success" rate as buying ah h&k, s&w, etc...

For what it's worth, I own a gen3 Glock 19 bought in 2010 and I love it. I managed to make myself paranoid reading all this stuff about extractors but the reality is, for about 3250 rounds, its been a very reliable weapon.

John Ralston
04-22-2011, 10:02 AM
My Gen 3 G19 has never had a malfunction (granted, I don't shoot the copiuous amounts of ammo that others here do), and it has an LCI Extractor.

LittleLebowski
04-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Gen3 19 or 17.

LittleLebowski
04-22-2011, 10:11 AM
If I got a G17 I would probably get a grip chop and reduction - I really like the size of the grip on the G19. However, is there a consensus on the longer slide having a more reliable recoil stroke than the shorter G19? Between the two (G17 and G19) is one more susceptible to the a weaker grip than the other?

I believe that you are overthinking this. I'd get a Gen3 19 and take it to a class first. I doubt that your accuracy is better than either the 17 or 19.

Red Leader
04-23-2011, 12:20 AM
I believe that you are overthinking this. I'd get a Gen3 19 and take it to a class first. I doubt that your accuracy is better than either the 17 or 19.

I don't doubt it;)

I was referring to the slide length differences affecting reliability, much how like a shorter 1911 can affect reliable function. With Glocks having somewhat of a sensitivity to limpwristing, I wasn't sure if slide length was some type of factor in that equation.

DocGKR
04-23-2011, 08:44 AM
The pre-2011 gen 3 G17's are the most reliable, bomb-proof pistols Glock has made, closely followed by G19's of the same era. Assuming you change your recoil spring when needed and are using standard capacity OEM Glock mags, you should be able to shoot 10,000's of rounds without ever having a gun related malfunction.

Texcowboy
04-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I have 9 Glocks, none of which have ever given me any problems. I have GEN 2.5, GEN 3 and GEN 4.

As stated in a post above, dont overthink the purchase, buy a Glock and enjoy it regardless of caliber or Generation. Glocks are very relaiable and are accurate, is any brand of handgun perfect? No, but in my opinion Glock is at the very top of the list.

JHC
04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I have 9 Glocks, none of which have ever given me any problems. I have GEN 2.5, GEN 3 and GEN 4.

As stated in a post above, dont overthink the purchase, buy a Glock and enjoy it regardless of caliber or Generation. Glocks are very relaiable and are accurate, is any brand of handgun perfect? No, but in my opinion Glock is at the very top of the list.

+1
Ten here. One Gen 2, five Gen 3's, and four Gen 4s and they all run the same. Great.
The G26, RTF2 G17, and RTF2 G21 SF are 2010 time frame guns that have run as well as earlier guns but seem a little more accurate than the older ones.

Pennzoil
04-23-2011, 05:06 PM
I've been a Glock guy for awhile but from my recent experience I would personally avoid GEN3 made in second half of 2010 and the GEN4. It's easy enough to find one made earlier so why chance it in my eyes. I have 7 Glocks but the most recent one Gen3 26 (PXU 10/2010) is the worst gun I've ever owned by a long shot.

WDW
04-26-2011, 04:30 AM
You will not go wrong with with any of the Gen 3 9mm's. As far the grip and all that jazz, most shooters prefer the G19, as the little Glock hump on the backstrap fits nicely into the center of the palm, whereas on the G17, the hump hits the outside of the palm and causes an uncomfortable grip. Before I switched to a Sig P226, I was a G19 guy all the way.

NGCSUGrad09
04-26-2011, 07:52 AM
It's hard to beat a Gen 3 19 for what you're looking for.

Red Leader
04-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys for your input, its much appreciated.

TheNewbie
04-28-2011, 04:51 PM
So should I be worried about the newer Gen 3 Glocks?

I can get one at GT's for $400 new, but I am not sure if they have older ones in stock since they are an LE dealer.

Red Leader
04-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Guys,

Any thoughts on the RTF2 glocks that came right before then Gen 4s? I heard the fish gills were discontinued right around the time that Glock went with the new extractor.

No different function-wise than the Gen 3s?

Chefdog
05-03-2011, 09:10 AM
I finally got to fondle a gen3 and gen4 side by side yesterday and was a little underwhelmed by the new grip of the gen4 gun which was the main reason i was considering it. I shoot an M&P right now and don't own a glock, but i was expecting a much more pronounced difference in the feel of the new Glock based on what I've read. Maybe for those of you who've got lots of rounds through your gen3's the difference is more obvious? Or are there other attractions to the gen4 I'm overlooking (other than the ambi mag release)?

Sorry to stray slightly off topic, but I thought some of you following this thread might have a little insight on this.

ETA: I want to buy a g19 and have been following all the discussion regarding the new and "improved" gen4 to see if the perceived benefits outweigh the potential issues or to go with the gen3.

MikeO
05-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Glocks sell so quick around here it's impossible to get a Gen3 17/19 that isn't 2011 production (going by the date on the test fired cartridge w the gun).

We finally got to the point where folks are doubting Glocks will work out of the box!?

Makes my old Ruger Speed Sixes look soooooo good...

JHC
05-30-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm not inclined to worry as much as some because we laid in four Gen 4 9mms last year and three Gen 3 from last Summer through this Winter - albeit the RTF2 G17 this winter was not likely a 2011 manufactured gun. But all of these guns are running very well.
It seems pretty clear some bugs got into the Glock production system but I will still buy the next RTF2 G19 I see without much concern.

jlw
05-30-2011, 04:50 PM
The G19 will run head to head with the G17 all day long. .

Spartan09
05-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Could anyone comment specifically on the Glock 26? Am I better off buying a generation 3 model (without regard to age of manufacture) or a generation 4 model? Thanks.

GLOCKMASTER
05-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Could anyone comment specifically on the Glock 26? Am I better off buying a generation 3 model (without regard to age of manufacture) or a generation 4 model? Thanks.

Based on what I've seen lately I would look for an older model Gen.3.

davebee456
06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I have a 02/2010 Glock 19 w/ the shiny slide and it has not had any issues yet only 250 rounds through it.

I have a 05/2010 Glock 26OD w/ the gray matte slide and it has not had any issues yet only
250 rounds through it. But I HATE THE NEW FINISH.

Thinking about selling it for a older used G19 gen 3 or a G26 gen 3 cause i hate the finish.

I regret having to sell my old 2008 glock 19 and glock 26 when I went through a 1911 phase.

Kyle Reese
06-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I have a 02/2010 Glock 19 w/ the shiny slide and it has not had any issues yet only 250 rounds through it.

I have a 05/2010 Glock 26OD w/ the gray matte slide and it has not had any issues yet only
250 rounds through it. But I HATE THE NEW FINISH.

Thinking about selling it for a older used G19 gen 3 or a G26 gen 3 cause i hate the finish.

I regret having to sell my old 2008 glock 19 and glock 26 when I went through a 1911 phase.

I'd be more concerned if the weapon was functional and reliable. The finish on my Gen 2 Glock 17 looks like crap on toast, but the gun shoots very well.

LittleLebowski
06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Based on what I've seen lately I would look for an older model Gen.3.

Are you seeing problems with Gen4 G26s or is this a comment on the general sorry handling of the Gen4 by Glock? One would think that the G26 would be hard for Glock to screw up since it already has a dual recoil spring......

JV_
06-06-2011, 01:57 PM
One would think that the G26 would be hard for Glock to screw up since it already has a dual recoil spring......That's assuming the dual rate spring is the culprit.