PDA

View Full Version : Mag pouch/arrangement solutions for PF courses...

aspect
02-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Hi all,

Was considering signing up for one of the Aim Fast, Hit Fast classes (although none in my state :( ), and saw the "be able to bring 50rds to the firing line requirement".

Right now I carry a HK45c, and have a blade-tech 2x mag holder. This gives me only 25rds fully loaded (yes, I only have a couple of the small mags).

Anyway, any recommendations for a streamlined solution for 4-5 belt-carried mags? Buying more bladetech holders isn't too appealing to me, as their shape only seems to be comfortable when placed on the point of my hip and this wouldn't really work for multiples. I'm also not sure how easy straight-up mag draws would be, as the pouches would be getting pretty close to my back...I'm 5'8" 135lbs and don't have a lot of circumference to work with. I'm a big fan of kydex as I like pouches without covers, but would have no problem with something leather (or a combination of the two) if it offers the same performance.

Cost is definitely a factor here, as I'll have to be buying mags as well. How many? Well that leads me to my second question...

For those who have attended the course, is the 50rd requirement a hard number (ie, a requirement for specific drills), or more of a guideline? I ask because if I picked up 2 more 10rd mags, I would only be at 45rds total (8+1+8+8+10+10). Getting up to 50 would require another mag and pouch for a total of 55rds (and a 5th mag on my belt that would be all the way around on my backside), or buying FIVE 10rd magazines ($275!) so I could run 4 on my belt for a total of 51rds.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

ToddG
02-25-2011, 02:59 PM
While it does not directly address the issue of having 4-5 mags on the belt, for AFHF you can have spare mags in back pockets, cargo pockets, vest pockets... whatever you need to do. In many cases, the more loaded mags you have on you, the more repetitions of a particular drill you'll get to shoot.

Jay Cunningham
02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
I'll tell you what I use for higher round count pistol classes which has worked well for me:

Besides a mag in the gun and a mag in a dedicated reload pouch, I have three additional mags in an Eagle carrier with kydex inserts located behind my reload pouch.

jar
02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
I haven't attended one of Todd's classes yet, but I've run other classes with 2 mags on the belt and the rest in my pockets. I move the pocket mags to pouches when I get a chance to do so. If you don't have more mag pouches on the street or in the competition you're training for, why train with them? I think the requirement is more so the class doesn't have to wait on you grabbing more ammo and stuffing mags.

VolGrad
02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I will be in an AFHF next weekend and plan to run a G19 with two single mag pouches as my primary in the normal slightly forward of 9 o'clock positions. The pouches are kydex pancake type with the normal, kind of large, footprint most of us are used to.

I plan to utilize two singles from Kytex Shooting Gear on my belt rearward (is that a word?) of 9 o'clock to back fill my primary pouches between strings. These will be worn for the sole purpose of carrying mags to the line without having to stuff my pockets full. I will not be loading my pistol from them. If you are unfamiliar with this maker they are very compact pouches, very inexpensive (as in $12), ship very fast and very cheap. I don't use them for carry purposes although the retention is plenty adequate for normal class "stuff".

My last class was in December (with Erik Lund and Tod Litt of USSA) and this setup worked well for me. If anyone sees a reason this is a lame idea please feel free to share. I'm willing to listen.

ToddG
02-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I haven't attended one of Todd's classes yet, but I've run other classes with 2 mags on the belt and the rest in my pockets. I move the pocket mags to pouches when I get a chance to do so. If you don't have more mag pouches on the street or in the competition you're training for, why train with them? I think the requirement is more so the class doesn't have to wait on you grabbing more ammo and stuffing mags.

I ask students to do exactly that (always reload from a pouch, never a pocket) in class. Excellent point!

Jay Cunningham
02-25-2011, 03:15 PM
A good habit to get into is to feed your emergency reload pouch from your carriers (or pockets or bags or wherever). Consider this ammunition management - and it applies for "administrative" reloads and tac/retention reloads as well.

MechEng
02-25-2011, 03:33 PM
I have a cheap nylon velcro flap magazine pouch that holds 4 mags. I bought it years ago and use it only to carry extra magazines to feed my main mag pouch.

aspect
02-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Ahh ok, that helps me out, thanks guys. If "bumping" my full mags up to my usual reload carrier isn't a problem for the drills involved then I should be OK for storage, as long as I am wearing my eotac elite operator active recon ops tactical insertion pants.

Is 25rds sufficient for any single drill?

Any other suggestions for affordable single mag carriers? I wouldn't mind switching to singles, as EDC'ing a double pouch is a bit annoying...

TCinVA
02-25-2011, 03:38 PM
For a pistol class all I ever use is a double mag holder for two quick reloads and then the pockets of cargo pants for more mags/loose ammo to reload mags with. It's worked for the dozens of pistol classes I've been in over the years.

Jay Cunningham
02-25-2011, 03:38 PM
I'll leave Todd to answer the round count question, but I've found both Ready Tactical and Custom Carry Concepts to make the best kydex single mag reload pouches.

Raven Concealment is a great option for a multiple mag carrier.

JV_
02-25-2011, 03:41 PM
The nicest single mag pouch I've seen is the Kytac pouch, http://www.kytac.com/page5.html. I've only used the solid belt loop version. David Elderton takes a lot more time on the fit and finish of his pouches than most others.

I understand they have a somewhat rocky history, but they were quick with emails and had a 1 day turnaround on my pouches.

I can't recall how many PT classes I've taken, maybe 5?, but I prefer a single mag pouch at 10:30, and the spares in my front left pocket. I move empty ones to the right pocket. I didn't feel slowed down or hindered by only using 1 pouch and using my pockets for quick refills.

ToddG
02-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Is 25rds sufficient for any single drill?

You should never have to reload more than once for any given drill. I demo just about everything and usually only wear one spare mag on my belt.

aspect
02-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Great, thanks all.

LOKNLOD
02-25-2011, 06:28 PM
I'll tell you what I use for higher round count pistol classes which has worked well for me:

Besides a mag in the gun and a mag in a dedicated reload pouch, I have three additional mags in an Eagle carrier with kydex inserts located behind my reload pouch.

Jay hardly needs and endorsement from me but I'll say this is exactly what I have done and it worked well for me.

One good thing about this versus feeding the primary pouch from pockets is that if you forget to refill the pouch it's a lot easier to grab that next mag (just slide your hand further back) with screwing up your fung shui mid string.

ToddG
02-25-2011, 06:32 PM
One good thing about this versus feeding the primary pouch from pockets is that if you forget to refill the pouch it's a lot easier to grab that next mag (just slide your hand further back) with screwing up your fung shui mid string.

It may just be picking nits, but I'd argue the exact opposite: if I don't have a spare mag in my spare mag pouch, my next reaction has to be "my gun is empty, what next?" That's the whole point of making sure your mag pouch is occupied before beginning. The ease with which I artificially solve that problem isn't a concern.

Jay Cunningham
02-25-2011, 06:37 PM
I use my pockets for empties or sometimes partials; occasionally I use a small dump pouch.

But OMG!!! I won't have my dump pouch IN A REAL FIGHT!!!

:rolleyes:

:cool:

VolGrad
02-25-2011, 06:50 PM
I use my pockets for empties or sometimes partials; occasionally I use a small dump pouch.

But OMG!!! I won't have my dump pouch IN A REAL FIGHT!!!

:rolleyes:

:cool:
I'm glad you said that. I actually used a small dump pouch in a LAV 1911 2-day last year. I had two single pouches on my belt and a mix of empties, full, and partials in the pouch.

It worked for convenience sake but like you said ... reality FAIL .... AND felt like dragging a dead weight around. I won't do that again. I was always ready (I was worried about being "that guy") but still had to wait around while the other guys loaded so there really wasn't much WIN for doing it this way.

The biggest thing I picked up recently was keeping a pocket full of loose rounds in my pocket at all times to top off partial mags between strings or while another squad is shooting. Simple but genius ... thanks TAP.

Jay Cunningham
02-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Actually I was making fun of people who think that if you use something like a dump pouch then your training experience will be worthless.

I guess I need to get the sarcasm emoticon going.

Regarding the loose rounds: yeah, and I recommend keeping them in your strong hand pocket, because you'll be holding the mag with your weak hand. Unless you have another strong hand, which you might.

LOKNLOD
02-25-2011, 07:51 PM
It may just be picking nits, but I'd argue the exact opposite: if I don't have a spare mag in my spare mag pouch, my next reaction has to be "my gun is empty, what next?" That's the whole point of making sure your mag pouch is occupied before beginning. The ease with which I artificially solve that problem isn't a concern.

I knew that was coming :p
And it's a solid point. On the other hand, normally if I find my spare mag missing i'm just flat out of ammo and it's time to start pursuing other options altogether; if on the firing line I can just reach for the next mag I can finish what I am doing and hopefully get the most out of that particular drill. From a safety perspective on a line with other shooters it helps keep me from doing any weird reaching and/or digging that may cause me to lose focus and muzzle somebody. Yes, I should be better than to do that but no need to raise the odds unnecessarily.
That's just where my current thought process has lead me though, so I'm certainly open to input on the matter.

gtmtnbiker98
02-25-2011, 10:26 PM
While it does not directly address the issue of having 4-5 mags on the belt, for AFHF you can have spare mags in back pockets, cargo pockets, vest pockets... whatever you need to do. In many cases, the more loaded mags you have on you, the more repetitions of a particular drill you'll get to shoot.
But you forgot to add, whatever you do, don't let Todd see you load from the pockets, the load better come from the mag holder. Just sayin'.

OP, I'm hosting an AFHF class this June and will be using an HK45c, I'm only going to use four mags, one will be in my back pocket with no worries. If it bothers you that bad, buy some HK45 10-rounders for that extra capacity.

Tom Fineis
02-25-2011, 10:30 PM
I ask students to do exactly that (always reload from a pouch, never a pocket) in class. Excellent point!

Is consideration given to the guys who regularly carry their reload in a pocket during their average day?

ToddG
02-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Is consideration given to the guys who regularly carry their reload in a pocket during their average day?

I've never had someone come to class and want to do it that way, but absolutely I'd have zero problem with anyone sacrificing speed in the interest of following his EDC protocol in class. As long as the procedure is safe, I'm all for it.

Tom Fineis
02-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Copy that. I figured as much, but thought it would be good to clarify.

JohnN
02-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Used two mag pouches on the belt at 9:00 in the same position I use for carry and kept them fed from a dump pouch. Actually worked pretty well, never ran out of loaded mags. You make a little noise when moving but it beats going back to your bag too frequently.

hossb7
02-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Hi all,

Was considering signing up for one of the Aim Fast, Hit Fast classes (although none in my state :( ), and saw the "be able to bring 50rds to the firing line requirement".

Right now I carry a HK45c, and have a blade-tech 2x mag holder. This gives me only 25rds fully loaded (yes, I only have a couple of the small mags).

Anyway, any recommendations for a streamlined solution for 4-5 belt-carried mags? Buying more bladetech holders isn't too appealing to me, as their shape only seems to be comfortable when placed on the point of my hip and this wouldn't really work for multiples. I'm also not sure how easy straight-up mag draws would be, as the pouches would be getting pretty close to my back...I'm 5'8" 135lbs and don't have a lot of circumference to work with. I'm a big fan of kydex as I like pouches without covers, but would have no problem with something leather (or a combination of the two) if it offers the same performance.

Cost is definitely a factor here, as I'll have to be buying mags as well. How many? Well that leads me to my second question...

For those who have attended the course, is the 50rd requirement a hard number (ie, a requirement for specific drills), or more of a guideline? I ask because if I picked up 2 more 10rd mags, I would only be at 45rds total (8+1+8+8+10+10). Getting up to 50 would require another mag and pouch for a total of 55rds (and a 5th mag on my belt that would be all the way around on my backside), or buying FIVE 10rd magazines ($275!) so I could run 4 on my belt for a total of 51rds.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

It really depends on how you normally carry your gun.

When I took the AF,HF class in Feb of '10 I wore my Sig at 3 in an OWB 5.11/Bladetech holster with 4 mags across my body at 8-10 o'clock in OWB Bladetech and Galco mag carriers and it worked great.

Right now, my current set up is all on a duty belt for my academy class. I'm still wearing my Sig at 3 o'clock in a Safariland 6280 but I moved my mags to 12 o'clock so I can access them easier with both hands.

VolGrad
02-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Actually I was making fun of people who think that if you use something like a dump pouch then your training experience will be worthless.
DOH!!! I had hoped to at least make it through the first day without posting something stupid. :mad:

SmokeJumper
02-26-2011, 05:15 PM
A little late, but for most pistol classes where you'll be running your EDC type of set-up, a couple singles will work just fine and top them off from spares in your pocket. John Ralston makes some nice leather single mag pouches at 5Shot Leather and I've had good luck with the belt clip on single from Comp-Tac kydex. Let us know your feedback on the class.

Jay Cunningham
02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
DOH!!! I had hoped to at least make it through the first day without posting something stupid. :mad:

You didn't post something stupid, I'm just not *that* funny...

vcdgrips
02-26-2011, 07:43 PM
If you really want to have 4/5 mags on the bet line, the CCC basic single mag carriers or the Glock OEM singles have about as small a footprint on the belt as is out there.

For my AFHF class, I had one in the gun, 2 at 10:30 or 11:00 in two single pouches above and at least 2 more in my left side cargo pant pocket of my 18.00 Wrangler Cargo pants from Wal Mart. Add a Wilderness belt and a good holster and you will be GTG.

dravz
03-23-2011, 08:59 PM
I'll leave Todd to answer the round count question, but I've found both Ready Tactical and Custom Carry Concepts to make the best kydex single mag reload pouches.

I use 3 of the Ready Tac singles and they're great for what they are. My only complaint is they tend to slide around on the belt a little bit between drills. You quickly get in the habit of restacking them before every drill or stage. But I love the easy on and off, and the price was nice enough.

TAP
03-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I use 3 of the Ready Tac singles and they're great for what they are. My only complaint is they tend to slide around on the belt a little bit between drills. You quickly get in the habit of restacking them before every drill or stage. But I love the easy on and off, and the price was nice enough.

Try adding a small piece of velcro loop to the back of your mag pouch. It will create a slight amount of friction between your pouch and your clothes and keep it from moving around. You can buy sticky back velcro in small quantities from Walmart in the sewing section.

VolGrad
03-24-2011, 09:50 AM
I mentioned them in my first post but upon re-reading this thread I saw a question asking for a rec on a good, inexpensive single pouch.

http://www.kytexgear.com/

Kytex Shooting Gear is a F'ing steal at $12. Shipping is generally not more than couple of dollars. I have a couple of GLOCK pouches and a couple of 1911 pouches and just sent him an HK P30 mag so he could make me a couple for it too. Yes, he will soon be able to make HK P30 mag pouches. I am guessing it will be on his site soon as an order option.

After using these in a couple of classes now, on the range, in some matches, and for occasional EDC ... I actually prefer this style of pouch. I simply love the compact size and the ride height. They are plenty secure on my belt and retain the mags well.

Notable: he makes them by default for 1.75" belts but will do them for 1.5" if you request it. Personally, I've just stuck with the default and use them on a 1.5" belt but if you find they move around on you try TAP's velcro tip.

I've found the easier the pouch is to get on/off, the easier it is to conceal, the more comfortable it is ... the more likely I am to grab and go. Surely, we all see the need to carry at least one extra mag, right? With this compact style I can carry 2 in the same space as a single from most other makers. YMMV.

jetfire
03-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I am a big believer in using your competition gear in classes. So if I'm tuning up for an IDPA season (like I'm doing this weekend) then I'll run my IDPA rig, which is two Blackhawk pouches. I'll carry the rest of the mags (and it'll be a lot because I'm shooting CDP) in the 12,000 pockets on my Woolrich pants.

Frank B
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
I strongly prefer to "train like you fight". This means to me, IŽll use my ccw or duty setup and place the additional mag and some loose ammo in my cargo pockets.
If someone only do competition, so thats, of course, the way to go.

dravz
03-24-2011, 10:48 AM
I mentioned them in my first post but upon re-reading this thread I saw a question asking for a rec on a good, inexpensive single pouch.

http://www.kytexgear.com/

Kytex Shooting Gear is a F'ing steal at $12.

Well holy crap