PDA

View Full Version : Smith&Wesson MP .22 FIR

HPFlashman
04-03-2013, 09:52 AM
After acting on the advice I got in this thread (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?7359-Glock-AA-Conversion-versus-S-amp-W-MP-22) as to what to .22 trainer to choose, I went to the importer and got hold of a MP.22. I also bought two additional magazines and the supressor adapter as I have some .22 supressors laying about. I wont bother the board with the so called unboxing bits, but sufficent to say its satisfactory.

In hand:
somewhat soapy feeling, I feel that the gun needs either a stipling job, skateboard tape or some other sort of slipperiness remover. I would also like to drop the external safety as the left side wings on it, interferes with my grip. None of my other regular used pistols have external safeties and the trigger safety seems to be in working order. This needs further looking into. Sizing is said to be between the small and medium 9 mm, I havent any experience with that but runs the large backstrap on the 45, the .22 are then somewhat on the smaller side for me.

Sights:
I`m also somewhat underwhelmed by the sight picture, I find that for me the sights are somewhat lacking. I do run Heinies on my Glocks and the regular Novaks on the MP.45 and have no trouble with those but the MP 22s are just plain wrong for me. I haven't reflected much on "why" but I would prefer to like them as they seems to be ok, when it comes to adjusting them and I think that adjustable sights are a "must have" on .22s (it haven't stopped me so far from running fixed on my other .22s).

Paraphernalia:
Rummaging through the magic drawers of holsters, I found three holsters thats suitable for the MP .22, an Askins Avenger kind of leather holster for the G17, the Bianchi UM84 for G17 and the Comp-tac kydex for the MP45, of these, I will use the MP.45 holster primarily. The holster are a tad large, but it have sufficient hold and keeps the gun in place even under heavy shaking. The UM84 flap is not closeable when the suppressor adapter are mounted.

I have since used it on two range sessions, for an estimated 300-350 rounds. Ammo used so far have Federal 36 grain high speed bulk pack for normal use and CCI Standard for suppressed shooting.

First range trip was on a outdoor range for familiarisation and control of POI/POA. The gun ran smoothly, but consistently high and left from 25 meters, I did brainfart and slid the backsight to the left and lo and behold, it kept going high and further to the left. The range I was on has the peculiarity of having a raised berm so in effect shooters on it, shoots upwards and if I recall my ballistic knowledge correctly, shooting upwards will give you a higher POI than on a flat range. I didnt undertake any regulating measures as to the high impact due to the range layout and uncertainty of memory recollections. Sloppy shooting and problems getting a proper sight picture (see sights above) didnt provide hard facts as to any measurable satisfying results, but I would say that everything went into 6 to 8" all inclusive (both brands of ammo, canned or no canned, one hand and two hands).

Target was Norwegain Army fullsize figur in green, comparable to a IPSC metric with legs. Not the best target to shoot tiny groups on and I think you fellows recognise an excuse when you see one.After running out of .22s there was time for coffee and banter with former colleagues that was milling about.

Second outing was also somewhat sociable in the setting, main goal was to get confirmations on the POI and regulate the sights and control the POA/POI on the G19 as I`ll be using both guns in the upcoming Civilian pistol National Championship in the upcoming weekend (seriously low level competitor).

There was much "ooing" and "aaing" when I produced the MP from the backpack, the fellows I shot with have had the same wishes and troubles when it comes to finding a suitable .22 trainer/understudy as I have and the MP seems to fit that niche to the T. Letting them try it on for size, I quickly got the confirmation I was looking for (high and to the left for all hands) and got cracking on adjusting the sights. It now has a usable POA/POI with a 6 o`clock hold. Sights still suck. I also found it to be somewhat "wobbly" as in "not to much weight in the front" sort of way. Didnt do any particular precision work with it this outing either, but after marking the IPSC classic target with a rattlecan, it now produces sloppy shot 12 shoot two handed groups at around 4" at 20 meter(ish), no problems keeping the A zone. Sights still sucks and no timer involved. I do have the impression that the gun have a serious presicion potential if sights and front end wobbling can be sorted.

Things to do:

Do something about the slipperiness.
Work further with the sights, consider getting an optician control.
Investigate further if its possible to loose the external safety.
Mount a light as a counterbalance to see if this checks the wobbling, if this work, consider getting a barrelweight made.
Keep shooting it, go for the 2000 round test.
Keep enjoying it.

Conclusion so far:
Good pistol, very satisfied in general.

Tamara
04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
I would also like to drop the external safety as the left side wings on it, interferes with my grip. None of my other regular used pistols have external safeties and the trigger safety seems to be in working order. This needs further looking into.

Isn't the thing internally a hammer-fired single action? I'd personally be leery of DX-ing the external manual safeties if I was going to be doing any work with it from a holster, but that may be just me. :o

HPFlashman
04-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Yup, and with a trigger safety as the other plastic pistols, which are striker fired.

I`m uncertain as to how and what would be the difference in how the safety measures are working to do anything drastic with the .22 contra the so called striker fired, but I would still like to look into it. Thinking about it, there are some hazy recollections about the glocks 3 safeties, all deactivated by pulling the trigger or some such notion. Wouldnt like to draw a cocked and unlocked 1911 for a comparison and the mechanisme on the Smith are probably more comparable to that than a striker fired gun.

Wendell
06-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Published on Mar 4, 2013 by DocTacDad (http://www.youtube.com/user/DocTacDad?feature=watch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5R_Kn3k50
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5R_Kn3k50>

Up1911Fan
06-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Link to safety plug kits. I sold my M&P22 to a buddy but ordered one of these as i'll probably replace the gun at one point.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/301801-m-p22-safety-plug-v2-kits-sale.html