PDA

View Full Version : Thieves targeting gun-owners with bumper stickers in Norfolk, VA

cclaxton
04-01-2013, 08:36 AM
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51376730/ns/local_news-portsmouth_va/#.UVmLExdO_xM

Thieves look for bumper stickers, then burglarize homes for guns.

I keep all my firearms in my home gunsafe except for the ones I am carrying or my competition gun locked in a small gunsafe in the trunk, which is tethered to trunk frame with steel cable.

Since I have adult child at home who does not shoot or own a gun, he never has access. No one should be able to claim I didn't take adequate precautions.

CC

Nephrology
04-01-2013, 11:44 AM
I took the Glock sticker off my car years ago. I know I own guns. I don't need a reminder.

RoyGBiv
04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
No bumper stickers for me. However I do occasionally wear this t-shirt.
I wonder what kind of people it might attract.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/gdhs_2252_372203946

orionz06
04-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Stickers on cars in general go against principles but I make it a point to advertise what I may or may not have anywhere, especially my car. The region I live in is full of people who wish to tell the world about all the cool things they want people to think they have.

Bigguy
04-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Same reason I didn't use my NRA bumper sticker.

Corlissimo
04-01-2013, 03:06 PM
I just love those Soccer-mobiles with the little stickers of the whole family on them. Nothing like telling complete strangers how many boys & girls you have plus how many dogs (if any) to compromise your PERSEC.

I've seen a few that apparently belong to single mothers, not that I have a problem with that, as they only show a "woman" sticker without a "man" sticker. Hopefully those Moms are packin'.

TGS
04-01-2013, 07:35 PM
I just love those Soccer-mobiles with the little stickers of the whole family on them. Nothing like telling complete strangers how many boys & girls you have plus how many dogs (if any) to compromise your PERSEC.

That's why you get cats in addition to your dogs. Let them know the dogs are there, because if they still care to attack you then the only thing that will actually have an effect is an angry mother-effin cat. Case in point: Military Working Cat Program Underway at The Old Guard (http://www.army.mil/article/99764/Military_working_cat_program_underway_at__The___/)

KeeFus
04-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Which is why i removed all LEO and firearms stickers from both my vehicles years ago. Some retired LEO's are getting those Retired LE license plates, which I also think is a mistake. My goal is to be anonymous.

Bigkrackers
04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Keep your vehicles clean. Wear a hat.

bdcheung
04-01-2013, 09:02 PM
I find that NoVA drivers give me a wider berth ever since I replaced by "Baby On Board" decal with a white silhouette of an AR-15 spanning the width of my rear window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ffhounddog
04-02-2013, 03:59 AM
I find that NoVA drivers give me a wider berth ever since I replaced by "Baby On Board" decal with a white silhouette of an AR-15 spanning the width of my rear window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just put my AR-15 in my gunrack and they really do stay away.

Crawls
04-02-2013, 02:51 PM
I just put my AR-15 in my gunrack and they really do stay away.

That's funny, I was just thinking how hilarious it would be to cut stickers for truck windows that looked like (the evil black rifle of your choice) in a gun rack. I'm sure every young guy with a pick-up in my county would rock one ... along with the rubber truck-nutz hanging aft of the rear diff.

Boxy
04-02-2013, 03:10 PM
I am not surprised. I made a conscious decision to not put any NRA or other gun decals on my vehicle. I even put hunt club decals on cardboard to post while hunting and remove while traveling.

I have made a point to not put any window decals related to profession, hobbies, politics, etc. I figured there are always some "anti-XXXXX" types out there where ever you go. Why provide them information. I like to appear grey and neutral.

Sad state of affairs though.

ToddG
04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
People who know me know what I stand for.

People driving behind me in traffic don't need to.

Byron
04-02-2013, 03:26 PM

The best bumper sticker that I've ever seen, and the only one I would even consider putting on my car*, was black with white block lettering that just said, "I HAVE OPINIONS!"

*Said consideration would only last about one second. What anyone wants to do with their car is fine by me, but I have no interest in putting stickers of any kind on mine.

Tamara
04-02-2013, 04:22 PM
I just love those Soccer-mobiles with the little stickers of the whole family on them.

Here's mine (http://xkcd.com/946/).

Actually, I did put some hippieflage on the Subie, just for giggles: an Apple sticker and a sticker from the local indie hipster record shop and I went ahead and got an "Environment" license plate* because I figured they might issue me one anyway when they found out it was for a clapped-out dark green Forester. (I think the BCM and INGO stickers are cryptic enough to pass muster, even here in the shadow of the big patchouli refineries and granola mills of the O-Zone.)

*My decision was made easier when I did some googling on the portable magic elf box while I was in line at the BMV and I found out that the funds from the Environment plate help the DNR manage the hoofed ra^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h deer population here in Indiana. That's right, little Prius driver with the nature plate: Your money helped a hunter kill Bambi!

† Also, there's no need to break into that car. I've lived in the city long enough to know that if you park on the street overnight you should not bother locking the doors and just never leave anything in your car more valuable than the driver's side window. I don't want it to cost me $109.45 plus installation for a hobo to discover that there's no change in the ashtray. Also, my car has the ultimate 21st Century anti-theft system: A clutch pedal.

Odin Bravo One
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51376730/ns/local_news-portsmouth_va/#.UVmLExdO_xM

Thieves look for bumper stickers, then burglarize homes for guns.

CC

They also look for DoD installation access stickers. Ok, by DoD, I mean Navy since most of the Army and AF ditched the requirement to advertise their personnel as military to the rest of the world by slapping stickers on their cars a decade ago.

since I already have the mandated "HEY I'M IN THE NAVY" sticker on all of my vehicles, wife decided she wanted the full on MP5 sticker on her new truck. As my home is far more likely to be targeted for military affiliation (due to the local area common knowledge that our military folks routinely spend time away from their homes) than a gun sticker........I have no issues with a gun sticker being on the car.

Tamara
04-02-2013, 06:01 PM
They also look for DoD installation access stickers.

Quelle coïncidence, given what I saw (http://q13fox.com/2013/04/01/dangerous-thieves-targeted-gun-owners-homes-police-say/#axzz2PFFmWIxs) in my morning news trawl today. :(

Drang
04-02-2013, 06:14 PM
They also look for DoD installation access stickers. Ok, by DoD, I mean Navy since most of the Army and AF ditched the requirement to advertise their personnel as military to the rest of the world by slapping stickers on their cars a decade ago. ...
Except, apparently, Joint Base (ptui!) Lewis McChord.

Odin Bravo One
04-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Except, apparently, Joint Base (ptui!) Lewis McChord.

Yeah, unfortunately there are commanders holding out. Which I find comical, in the sad/pathetic way.........of the Army installations I frequent, one still requires base decals, yet use the palm pilot card reader technology.........which is precisely why many places started the push away from stickers........everyone is getting scanned every time they enter anyway. The scanner provides the individual's creds for access, but the local security office can add custom information such as vehicle, insurance, and driving status info.

Prior to the technological innovations, the access decals provided some measure of control to ensure the members driving were in compliance with the laws such as insurance, registrations, and valid license's. In order to recieve or renew a decal, the documentation had to be provided. But in 2013, you could store that information for the entire DoD on a micro-SD card, in a palm scanner device, that reads the ID card and verifies that info real time.

I think my favorite part though.........when out of town, and driving a rental car onto a Navy base, with the decal requirement.....I don't even have to get a temporary pass. Just show ID, DL, and rental agreement........"Welcome Aboard".

Kyle Reese
04-02-2013, 10:15 PM

Agreed. I took my Blackwater sticker off of my Explorer and am replacing it with a Dennis Kuchinich 2016 and Green Party logo to blend in around here.

Joking!

nycnoob
04-02-2013, 11:07 PM
That's funny, I was just thinking how hilarious it would be to cut stickers for truck windows that looked like (the evil black rifle of your choice) in a gun rack. I'm sure every young guy with a pick-up in my county would rock one ... along with the rubber truck-nutz hanging aft of the rear diff.

If you are looking for a fake "truck gun" there is this company

http://minisentryalarm.wordpress.com/gun-silhouettes/

SPC introduces it’s line of full size metal wall silhouettes. Shown is a Remington 870 that looks great on the wall of any gun room, den or shop.

Made out of plasma cut steel, the units are available rough as well as finished and painted.

HCM
04-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Also, my car has the ultimate 21st Century anti-theft system: A clutch pedal.

Nice !

Odin Bravo One
04-03-2013, 12:54 PM
If you are looking for a fake "truck gun" there is this company

http://minisentryalarm.wordpress.com/gun-silhouettes/

SPC introduces it’s line of full size metal wall silhouettes. Shown is a Remington 870 that looks great on the wall of any gun room, den or shop.

Made out of plasma cut steel, the units are available rough as well as finished and painted.

I don't know who made it, but I received a gift of a plasma cut wall hanger. And it is a nice little trinket addition to my gun room/workspace/garage. But as a "theft deterrent"? Or to confuse the apparently wide spread use of imaging metal detectors and ground penetrating radar? I think I'll just stick with my tin foil hat so they can't tap into my brainwaves and covertly elicit the code to my safe with the brainwave neurotransmitter interception device that is all the rage among residential burglars looking to score big on my $350 Glocks.

Tamara
04-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Or to confuse the apparently wide spread use of imaging metal detectors and ground penetrating radar?

Some people live in very exciting mental landscapes. ;)

Bigguy
04-03-2013, 03:31 PM
You need fake guns on your truck? Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPBfvqIexgQ