PDA

View Full Version : No ammo drills?

52Hubcap
03-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Other than the Wall drill, what drills do you recommend for no ammo (dry fire)? What do you practice when you (must) have an empty gun?

ToddG
03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Origami might pop in and answer this, he probably does more dry fire than any five of the rest of us combined.

Personally, other than sights/trigger work, my dry fire revolves around manipulations. I'll work on draw (2H, SHO, WHO), reloads (2H, SHO, WHO), malf clearances (2H, SHO, WHO) and the like.

Back when I was shooting competition more seriously I'd also spend time doing transitions: start aimed in on one target with the trigger back then drive the gun to the next target while resetting and pressing the trigger.

Corlissimo
03-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Origami might pop in and answer this, he probably does more dry fire than any five of the rest of us combined.

Personally, other than sights/trigger work, my dry fire revolves around manipulations. I'll work on draw (2H, SHO, WHO), reloads (2H, SHO, WHO), malf clearances (2H, SHO, WHO) and the like.

Back when I was shooting competition more seriously I'd also spend time doing transitions: start aimed in on one target with the trigger back then drive the gun to the next target while resetting and pressing the trigger.

Todd,

I've been running your 4 week dry fire routine sporadically and always end up feeling like a bumbling, fumbling idiot when I get to the WHO Draw part. I just suck at it and have no idea if what I'm doing is even close to what others do, or what should be done.

Can you point me to some visual aid that demonstrates a WHO draw from AIWB?

[/drift]

ToddG
03-30-2013, 01:18 PM
There are a number of different ways to draw WHO from aiwb. All of them have some pretty significant dangers involved and it's something I wouldn't be comfortable trying to explain online.

Corlissimo
03-30-2013, 02:34 PM
There are a number of different ways to draw WHO from aiwb. All of them have some pretty significant dangers involved and it's something I wouldn't be comfortable trying to explain online.

Well then, I guess you are just gonna have to get your sick self better pronto so I can get to one of your trainings. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

52Hubcap
03-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanx for the tips, guys. But I'm a newbie and I'm not sure what the acronyms mean. Thanks again. (I'm guessing 2 hands, strong hand only, weak hand only, appendix inside waist band ????)

Argus
03-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanx for the tips, guys. But I'm a newbie and I'm not sure what the acronyms mean. Thanks again.

2H - 2 handed
SHO - strong hand only
WHO - weak hand only
AIWB - appendix inside the waistband

JAD
03-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanx for the tips, guys. But I'm a newbie and I'm not sure what the acronyms mean. Thanks again. (I'm guessing 2 hands, strong hand only, weak hand only, appendix inside waist band ????)
Weak hand only and appendix in waist band. The first refers to drawing the pistol using only your non-dominant hand -- as if your dominant hand was disabled at the start of the fight. The second is a holster position -- search the forum for 'aiwb' for details.

52Hubcap
03-30-2013, 09:47 PM

So how's about a video??