PDA

View Full Version : Using a revolver to improve Glock trigger control?

Cowtown44
03-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Todd mentioned on the blog about using a revolver to put the Glock trigger into "easy mode". What's the rationale behind this recommendation? When pulling the trigger of the revolver, I position my finger at the distal interphalangeal joint. Where should I position my finger on the revolver to improve my Glock trigger control.

Cookie Monster
03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Todd mentioned on the blog about using a revolver to put the Glock trigger into "easy mode". What's the rationale behind this recommendation? When pulling the trigger of the revolver, I position my finger at the distal interphalangeal joint. Where should I position my finger on the revolver to improve my Glock trigger control.

I have a Glock with a NY-2 Spring and Standard Connector set-up for dry practice. It's easy now but I believe it is a 12 lb trigger pull (revolver like in weight). I use the same finger position. Wall drill with the carry gun is cake after pulling on an NY-2 for a while.

Cheers,
Cookie Monster

TR675
03-30-2013, 12:20 PM
I've been shooting revolvers more or less exclusively for the last year or so and have seen an improvement in my auto trigger control regardless of what type.

ToddG
03-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Don't get wrapped up with trigger finger position. As long as you're manipulating the trigger through the full stroke without contacting the frame of the gun with your finger, you're fine.

The benefit of working a DA revolver trigger in dry fire is that it tends to be (a) heavy, (b) long, and (c) smooth. If you execute a good fundamental trigger press everything should work just fine, but it's harder to do everything right with that heavier, longer trigger. Getting good with a 12# DA trigger makes lighter, shorter triggers feel like Easy Mode.

Doug
03-30-2013, 01:28 PM
I have been shooting Glock only for the past 18 months and own no revolvers.

Would it be advantageous add dry fire practice with one of my DA/SA semi on DA only instead of Glock dry fire practice only?

Cookie Monster
03-30-2013, 09:33 PM
I have been shooting Glock only for the past 18 months and own no revolvers.

Would it be advantageous add dry fire practice with one of my DA/SA semi on DA only instead of Glock dry fire practice only?

I only own Glocks so I added the NY-2 trigger spring to one. Been thinking about adding the + connector as well. If anyone has one laying around PM me.

Cookie Monster

GJM
03-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Don't get wrapped up with trigger finger position. As long as you're manipulating the trigger through the full stroke without contacting the frame of the gun with your finger, you're fine.

The benefit of working a DA revolver trigger in dry fire is that it tends to be (a) heavy, (b) long, and (c) smooth. If you execute a good fundamental trigger press everything should work just fine, but it's harder to do everything right with that heavier, longer trigger. Getting good with a 12# DA trigger makes lighter, shorter triggers feel like Easy Mode.

Which is precisely why Bill Rogers starts his intro class with a S&W model 317, because if you can steer the sights while manipulating a long, heavy trigger, the semi-auto is easier by comparison. For the last 18 months, I carried a 317 in my range bag, and tried to start each session with some revolver work, mostly one hand. I believe the 317 made an enormous difference in my ability to shoot one hand.

Now that I am shooting a Sig, I get plenty of practice steering the sights with a long, heavy trigger without the 317. :)