PDA

View Full Version : Low-Riding Appendix Holsters

ScotchMan
03-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I have tried a lot of AIWB holsters, and the problem I always come back to is unless you have an extremely flat stomach, guns with short barrels don't conceal well there. I am far from overweight, I am 6'6" and weigh 195lbs. But when so much of the grip of the gun is above the belt line, it hangs out. I have tried slightly longer holsters, and it helps, but not much. The one holster I have always been able to conceal amazingly with is the High Noon Mr. Softy. It rides so low that getting a firing grip is very difficult, but it conceals wonderfully. I also have tried a Raven ACR, Dale Fricke Archangel, CCC Shaggy, Comp-tac 2oclock, the list goes on. All great holsters, all have the same problem with the gun rolling outwards.

The Mr. Softy is what I keep returning to. However I don't like that it is thin leather that can't be reholstered easily. I don't like that it doesn't cover the slide. And I don't like that my front sight has a ball of black leather on it from scraping the inside. I have considered going to a High Noon Hideaway, which is the same design in a thicker leather with a sight track. But I am afraid the leather will be so thick that it will hurt concealment. I had a Public Secret once and the leather added way too much thickness to the gun.

I am looking for recommendations for a low-riding appendix carry holster, preferably in Kydex. I'm beginning to think there is no solution to my problem. I can't get away with carrying a bigger gun, the grip length is just too much and concealment is a top priority where I am. Any help is appreciated!

TGS
03-26-2013, 10:58 AM
You would probably find it EXTREMELY beneficial to read through the massive AIWB thread, and AIWB pictorial thread.

With that said, it sounds like your problem could be quickly and easily solved with the addition of a "wedge" down by the muzzle, to push the top of the gun into your belly ever so slightly. I'm sure JR Customs would sell you a strip of velcro and an accompanying foam block that you can stick on whatever current holsters you have. I use one on my Shaggy, and it works fantastic. I didn't really have a problem beforehand, it's just that much better with it.

JHC
03-26-2013, 11:01 AM
I prefer lower riding AIWB holsters and have had good luck with the straight drop FIST model 1K (about like a kydex Mr. Softy) and especially with the Raven Concealment VG2.

JodyH
03-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Highnoon Hideaway in horesehide is what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Super J
03-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I have a TT gunleather holster for a G17 and it is my lowest riding traditional aiwb holster

Wendell
03-26-2013, 02:59 PM
You would probably find it EXTREMELY beneficial to read through the massive AIWB thread, and AIWB pictorial thread...

x2

AIWB (Appendix Carry) (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-%28Appendix-Carry%29)
<http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-%28Appendix-Carry%29>

AIWB holsters, a pictorial guide (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?896-AIWB-holsters-a-pictorial-guide)
<http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?896-AIWB-holsters-a-pictorial-guide>

WoodLark
03-26-2013, 04:09 PM
http://pjholster.com/ makes a low riding kydex aiwb holster which may work well for you. It didn't work for me because I am left handed, which means my magazine release is on the outside of the holster. Twice, while getting out of the car, my magazine dropped to the pavement. This hasn't happened with other holsters, and probably would not happen with a right hand version of this holster. Pistol was an M&P Shield 9mm.

ScotchMan
03-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys. I actually did read the entire AIWB stickied thread about a year ago when I started appendix carrying. Since then, I tried to register and for some reason this resulted in my IP address at work being blocked. So its now pretty hard to use the site during the time I am at a computer. But I digress.

I will continue browsing around those threads. But at this point I have owned most of the kydex rigs recommended, including the Shaggy and AA.

I am strongly considering picking up a Hideaway, I am just afraid it will be too thick. A low-riding kydex rig would be ideal.

WoodLark, I checked out PJHolsters and I don't see anything that is low-riding. Can you link to a specific model? I don't want a cant, and his description specifically says his holsters are for 3:30-4:00.

JHC, FIST is an option I had forgotten about. The 1K does look like it would work. The clip scares me though. Is it as solid as High Noon's? Also, with the Kydex being stitched and "ultra thin", do you still get the "click" when the gun is holstered and the other characteristics of Kydex?

JV_
03-26-2013, 04:36 PM
my IP address at work being blocked.PM me your blocked IP address and I will investigate the issue.

Erik
03-26-2013, 04:59 PM
You might also talk with JIM at JRC Custom. He'd probably work with you on ride height and his holsters are very nice.

JHC
03-26-2013, 06:42 PM
JHC, FIST is an option I had forgotten about. The 1K does look like it would work. The clip scares me though. Is it as solid as High Noon's? Also, with the Kydex being stitched and "ultra thin", do you still get the "click" when the gun is holstered and the other characteristics of Kydex?

I have used a handful of these. One in "ultra-thin" and the rest just the "thin". "Thin" is thin enough. They all - click- in securely. The ultrathin just degraded and started cracking after about 5-6 years. The thins have not. I have a High Noon Mr Softy and much prefer the FIST in kydex. The clip is more than a clip. It has a viscious fish hook like thing inside the clip that anchors it below my 1.5" belts. I've used them daily for most of 12-13 years and they stayed anchored. I prefer to be able to remove a concealed gun quickly and discreetly for various reasons and I've been very happy with them.

I like the RCS VG2 just as much if not more for LOW profile.

ScotchMan
03-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Just placed an order for a FIST #1 in Kydex. Regular kydex (not "thin", the site makes no mention of "ultra thin"), with the body protector.

Can I just say, their website is absolutely atrocious. That is probably why I have not tried them until now. Every time I've gone to the site I get confused and/or frustrated and go look at Raven Concealment gear instead.

It sounds like the #1K is exactly what I want (a Mr. Softy in Kydex) so I am optimistic.

I have no idea how long their shipping time is, there is no estimate on their site or with my order. Hopefully it is weeks and not months..

JHC
03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Yeah now that you mention it; prolly the worst site I can recollect for easy and intuitive navigating. Slipped my mind. lol

JodyH
03-27-2013, 12:46 PM
You'll get no order confirmation or shipping notice either. Their email auto-response must be stuck in the '90's with their web site design.
My last order (#1k) took about 4 weeks.
They will answer email inquiries promptly though.

WoodLark
03-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Fist also has a #1kb holster which is the same as the 1k but has velcro between the clip and the holster body. This allows you to set both the height and cant anywhere you want it. Because of their atrocious website design, it is almost impossible to find, but here is a link: http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/1KB.htm. The velcro holds well, no problems there

As far as PJ Holster, it is his standard clip on IWB. In the "Additional Notes" part of your order, just specify "0 cant for AIWB".

ScotchMan
03-27-2013, 02:42 PM
You'll get no order confirmation or shipping notice either. Their email auto-response must be stuck in the '90's with their web site design.
My last order (#1k) took about 4 weeks.
They will answer email inquiries promptly though.

I actually did get two order confirmations, the first a "Purchase order" and the second a "customer receipt/purchase confirmation". Both from Jim's AOL address (seeing a pattern here with the 90's technology). I replied asking for a shipping estimate, and he promptly replied that they are running about 8 weeks for leather and 6 weeks for kydex.

I guess I can wait that long.

ScotchMan
05-23-2013, 08:24 PM
My Fist #1K came today. Naturally I immediately opened it up, stuffed my PPS in, and put it on.

Initial thoughts: It is a lot like a Kydex Mr. Softy. This is a very good thing. I wore the gun around the house and out to pick up dinner. The ride height is just a tad higher, which probably isn't a terrible thing, but it prints a tiny bit more. It is still very concealable, and I was fine wearing just a t-shirt. The clip on it is excellent, with the "vicious fish hook" being very effective at keeping it on. However it is still easy to remove. I would say it is the equal of the High Noon clip.

Downsides: I did not specify ultra-thin kydex, but it is still thinner than I would expect. To illustrate, I can easily bend the sweat shield forward and backward. It's not really a problem, but one-handed reholstering is a gamble. If I suck in my stomach I can do it. I am not overweight, but removing an inch from my waist allows the holster to open back up a little. It is not sturdy enough to stay open on its own. Repeat: I did not order the ultra-thin kydex.

Finally, its just not that comfortable. I like kydex on paper, but for IWB I have yet to find one that I liked wearing. I think its time for me to give up on kydex IWB and find a good leather holster. It's a shame too, because I love the click telling me the holster is secure, the low maintenance, even just the looks of kydex. But ultimately comfort is going trump all of that. Most likely I'll try the Hideaway from High Noon (yes JodyH you were right).

I don't blame the Fist at all for this, in fact it is probably one of the more comfortable kydex holsters I've tried. But when I wear it and then switch to the Mr. Softy, its very noticeable how much of an increase in comfort is there.

JodyH
05-25-2013, 01:41 PM
If you want to sell the PPS #1K to fund the Hideaway let me know via PM.
A friend of mine would be interested.

DocGKR
05-25-2013, 07:52 PM
As noted above, just use a holster with a wedge added...