PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Glock Barrels

JV_
04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Can you all enlighten me on aftermarket Glock barrels.

Are the drop-in ones worth it, or should I have one fitted (for an extra fee)?
Are Jarvis and Barsto still top shelf choices?

FWIW: This is for a Gen3 19

fuse
04-21-2011, 07:23 AM
For what purpose?

I thought the biggest reasons to need an aftermarket barrel were to shoot lead bullets or to shoot 9 major

JV_
04-21-2011, 07:37 AM
shoot lead bullets or to shoot 9 majorBoth are possibilities.

David Pennington
04-21-2011, 08:08 AM
I've had a few BarSto semi-drop in barrels in my Gen 3 G19s. The barrels all required quite a bit of fitting on the barrel hood but once they were in, they were unbelievable. I've shot consistent 5 shot groups under an inch at 25 yards with good ammo, a Deltapoint, and an improvised rest.

YVK
04-21-2011, 09:08 AM
JV, I have a Briley barrel on my Gen 3 Glock 19. It is a "professional installation required" variety, not drop-in. It was installed by Briley themselves by request of a previous owner. Same owner had it checked on a Ransom test shooting five 10-round groups of 124 grain HST ammo, with average group size just over 3 inches, range between 2.6 and 3.6. I was told recently that Ransom is supposedly not that accurate for Glocks, but I forgot the logic, something to do with loose slide to frame fit.

Anyway, I have not been particularly impressed with it as far as added benefits are concerned. It is been 100% reliable coming to 9k rounds, but I am not getting any earth-shattering accuracy out of it off hand at 25 yards. Part of it is me being a mediocre shooter, but on occasion I've turned in respectable groups with all of my other pistols - 1911, P7, P30 with both 7.5 and 6 lbs triggers, but not Glock. I am also not getting much difference between Briley barrel and stock barrel. In fact, the best group out of this pistol (just under 2 inches) I shot with stock barrel; since it happened only once, I attributed it to chance.
One positive thing I noticed is that Briley shoots different ammo - both brands and bullet weights - more consistently than stock barrel.

MTechnik
04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I guess this is not for adding a suppressor. So it doesn't matter that factory glock theaded barrels are becoming available. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1335714).. (aacblog doesn't work for me at work, so I can't get that direct link)

JV_
04-21-2011, 11:30 AM
I guess this is not for adding a suppressor.Right, I have no practical use for a pistol suppressor.

MTechnik
04-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Right, I have no practical use for a pistol suppressor.

no wife/children at home whose hearing you want to protect in case you have to defend them?

JV_
04-21-2011, 11:38 AM
no wife/children at home whose hearing you want to protect in case you have to defend them?I use the same gun for CCW and for 'nightstand' duty. The same model, sights, grip, etc. I have no plans to stuff a 4-6" suppressor down my pants. I'm also not interested in making the news with a tag line about using a 'silencer' during a self defense situation.

MikeO
05-30-2011, 10:59 AM
I dropped two (2) KKM bbls into a pair of G35s to convert them to 357SIG. Both were accurate and reiable w no fitting at all.

JohnN
05-30-2011, 11:23 AM
From my experience, unless the barrel is fitted by a competent gunsmith you get very little if any accuracy improvement over the stock barrel.

Comedian
05-31-2011, 02:56 AM
Do Bar Sto barrels have polygonal rifling?

JV_
05-31-2011, 05:33 AM
Do Bar Sto barrels have polygonal rifling?No, they use conventional lands and grooves. They are broach cut rifled.

Comedian
05-31-2011, 07:30 AM
No, they use conventional lands and grooves. They are broach cut rifled.

Do polygonal barrels provide better accuracy, than other types of rifling?

JV_
05-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Do polygonal barrels provide better accuracy, than other types of rifling?I suspect that's a distant third to how the barrel fits the slide and how well the crown was cut.

Reloaders tend to prefer land and groove barrels because they like to shoot lead bullets.