PDA

View Full Version : Holster Position

Rocky
03-22-2013, 10:49 PM
How many of you serious shooters go to the trouble of repositioning your belt loops to help in positioning your holster in the right place on every pair of pants you wear? I thought of it while re-doing some loops on my blue jeans so my draw stroke would be identical no matter what I was wearing. I had to change my waist size with a healthy weight loss and it required me to make some adjustments.
I'm of the old school and was one of the early Gunsite grads in 1980.
Semper fi
Rocky

orionz06
03-22-2013, 11:30 PM
When I was carrying OWB I ended up making my own holster to eliminate that issue. Different size waists and different shape people have different needs. There is a reason there are modular designs and different models from the same maker. It's also why people end up with the drawer full of holsters.

ST911
03-23-2013, 12:59 AM
I have repositioned belt loops, and made various other tweaks to clothing to improve various aspects of carry. Not all clothing needs it, but sometimes a small change will make a big difference.

Tamara
03-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Haven't needed to yet. (Then again, I'm such an anti-fashion plate that I also tend to find a pair of jeans whose style and cut I like and then buy a half-dozen pairs at a time, so the idea of having different belt loops in different places rarely applies for me...)

Jay Cunningham
03-23-2013, 08:30 AM
I adapt.

Everything probably won't be perfect in a bad situation. So "having everything perfect" isn't a concern of mine. You might need to use a gun that you are completely unfamiliar with, etc.

I know it's a slight tangent from your original question, but I think a flexible mind and an adaptable skillset are more important than having your gear set up "perfectly".

In other words - I personally wouldn't be concerned with belt loops.

MDS
03-23-2013, 09:02 AM
I adapt.

Everything probably won't be perfect in a bad situation. So "having everything perfect" isn't a concern of mine. You might need to use a gun that you are completely unfamiliar with, etc.

I know it's a slight tangent from your original question, but I think a flexible mind and an adaptable skillset are more important than having your gear set up "perfectly".

Weird, this is like the mirror-image experienced-guy version of my answer. Which boils down to "there are a dozen things I'm going to screw up before a half-inch of holster position makes a lick of difference."

JodyH
03-23-2013, 09:12 AM
The only time belt loops are an issue for me is if they are completely wrong for AIWB comfort.
Other than that, 1/4" this way or 1/4" that way is no big deal.

LHS
03-23-2013, 09:28 AM
I have a holster that pretty much ignores belt loop position, which lets me ignore belt loop position as well.

David Armstrong
03-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Never found the slight difference with most pants to matter for me. However, there was one pair of slacks that was just so wrong in spacing that I had a loop put in.

ToddG
03-23-2013, 10:48 AM
I actually find that I'm more sensitive to mag pouch placement than gun location. As Jody said, a little difference one way or the other doesn't really matter... I can feel the gun's location. I can't feel the mag pouch normally so there is less "guidance" to its location.

Dan_S
03-23-2013, 01:21 PM
I adapt.

Thank you.

I probably couldn't write it that coherently, but I wholeheartedly agree with you....

:)