PDA

View Full Version : New night sight thread/P30

P30shtr
04-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Basically I want a set of Heine's, not straight 8's (dot over dot) but your basic 3-dot style. Slant pros I guess they would be. Looked on they're sight in the HK section and all that is available on there are straight 8's. Not to say they don't offer them, they're just not listed. I sent an E-mail to them, waiting for a reply. I just wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with them too.Also, I've never used the straight 8 style before either, just kinda going off of what I'm used to and like hence leaning towards the Slant Pros (3-Dot) style.

Tritium obviously (night sights), didnt mention above. Sorry. Sometimes vagueness leads to lots of questions. I woulda got back " what type of sights, blacked out, serrated, fiber optic, tritium, tall, short", yada, yada, yada

Any help appreciated. Thanks

P30

ToddG
04-19-2011, 10:16 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the only sights they make for the P30/HK45 are the Straight 8 variety.

P30shtr
04-19-2011, 10:55 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the only sights they make for the P30/HK45 are the Straight 8 variety.

Thanks Todd, I thought thats what you put on the P30 (hell, maybe it was the HK45, regardless) in the test a while back. Do you have a preferance, 3 dot or straight 8? I dont know, maybe the 8's are better and just take a little getting used to?? If I'm SOL as far as the Slant Pros go, anyone else you guys like? MEP, TRIJI, Novak

ToddG
04-20-2011, 12:10 AM
None of the other night sights for the P30/HK45 are much good, in my opinion, because they all copy the factory notch/post dimensions more or less and just plain don't work well for shooting at speed.

I prefer the concept of 2-dot night sights. However, more than half the Heinies I've used had the rear dot drilled off-center (or the notch cut off center, it's immaterial which) and led to shooting toward the left when I'd inadvertently align the dots instead of putting the post dead center in the notch.

JV_
04-20-2011, 05:51 AM
Looked on they're sight in the HK section and all that is available on there are straight 8's. Not to say they don't offer them, they're just not listed. I sent an E-mail to them, waiting for a reply.I talked to them, fairly recently, and was told the Slant Pro 8's are the only option (currently) available. A few of us would like to see the Ledge QWIK for the P30: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?376-Ordered-the-P30-Today-amp-New-Member-Introduction&p=5517&viewfull=1#post5517

John Ralston
04-20-2011, 10:19 AM
I sent an E-mail to them, waiting for a reply.

Good luck...I left several voicemails a few weeks back and have NEVER received a reply. I like their sights, but not the CS.

KentF
04-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I prefer the concept of 2-dot night sights. However, more than half the Heinies I've used had the rear dot drilled off-center (or the notch cut off center, it's immaterial which) and led to shooting toward the left when I'd inadvertently align the dots instead of putting the post dead center in the notch.

I'm going to have to look closer at my set and see if they are off center. I like the bar-dot Novak sights on my Browning Hi-Power, I wish they made a set for the P-30.

nar472
04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
I had a set of meprolights on mine terrible sight picture and they worked loose around 4000 rounds rear sight basicly fell out. They are hollowed out underneath and not very well made in my opinion. I now have the Heine Straight Eights and am very happy with them, way better sight picture and with two set screws on the front and back sight, they wont be falling off anytime soon.

vecdran
04-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Good luck...I left several voicemails a few weeks back and have NEVER received a reply. I like their sights, but not the CS.

Ditto. I e-mailed them after my promised two-week lead time (getting vials installed at Trijicon) seemed to be magically transforming into a ten-week lead time. No response, got them in five weeks. Was a bit miffed.

Chipster
04-21-2011, 09:26 PM
3 weeks and still waiting. After several email and phone messages, I Was finally able to make contact with someone at Heinies and they said that HK sights are backordered and they should be in stock in a couple of weeks. Not quite the same response when I inquired as to sending them in and was told that it should be 7-10 days. Don't quote me 7-10 days if you mean 30 days. Great sights but I am a little upset about the times and lack of customer service.

JM Campbell
04-21-2011, 10:19 PM
XS sight systems offers both the big dot and standard dot for the P30 and HK45.

With that being said, aren't the Heinie and st dot XS sights extremely similar? I've have never used either but am on the hunt for new sights and the Mepro/Trijicon are not what I'm after.

Any insight from those more in the know than I is appreciated.

vecdran
04-22-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm not going to be a complete jerk about, but man, did you even search? First images that comes up for "heinie straight 8" and "xs big dot" in Google image search...

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo71/vecdran/Interbutts/attachment.jpghttp://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo71/vecdran/Interbutts/XSglock.jpg

JM Campbell
04-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Yes I understand where your coming from. What I should have phased it as the dot inline with dot while the xs is doting the I. Its pretty much the same aiming princeable except for lining up the front post inside the rear.

Frank B
05-02-2011, 07:21 AM
I´ve used the XS Sights for a couple of years, because someone recommend they to me. LAV talked me into Heinie´s and my shooting improved immediatedly.I switched to Ameriglo´s IDot Pro for my personal gun and stay with the Heinie´s for the company ones. So I´m done with the XS.

IMHO, it´s worth to wait for the Ameriglo´s.

LOKNLOD
05-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Yes I understand where your coming from. What I should have phased it as the dot inline with dot while the xs is doting the I. Its pretty much the same aiming princeable except for lining up the front post inside the rear.

That's an important "except..." though. You get a lot more visual feedback on the alignment with the notch and post for more precise alignment.

--Josh

JM Campbell
05-02-2011, 09:52 AM
I´ve used the XS Sights for a couple of years, because someone recommend they to me. LAV talked me into Heinie´s and my shooting improved immediatedly.I switched to Ameriglo´s IDot Pro for my personal gun and stay with the Heinie´s for the company ones. So I´m done with the XS.

IMHO, it´s worth to wait for the Ameriglo´s.

And I contacted Ameriglow, the results cans be found here http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?788-P30-and-HK45-Sight-Options...Ameriglo

Thank You for your advice gentlemen.

wrt81
12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
None of the other night sights for the P30/HK45 are much good, in my opinion, because they all copy the factory notch/post dimensions more or less and just plain don't work well for shooting at speed.

Sorry to bump an old thread....Todd, regarding some of the Heinies having the rear dot/notch off center, do you know of this happening even if the gun is sent to Heinie directly for the install? I was just wondering if they would check it to make sure everything is straight on the sight set since they're doing the install in house.

I'd like to get new sights for my P30 eventually (I have Meps now), but it still seems like Heinie is still the only other option if you want front and rear tritium.

JodyH
12-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Has anyone looked into whether the P30 dovetails can be machined to allow fitting other sights?
Does anyone know if the Sig, XD or M&P dovetails are larger/smaller than the P30 dovetails?

JRL
12-02-2011, 06:44 PM
For the rear, the P30 cut appears to be shallower, longer, and thinner than the M&P cut, and for the front, longer and wider, with depth being almost even. Just eyeballing with spare M&P sights. Can't say on the others, but you would have to add material to make the M&P sights fit :/

ToddG
12-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Todd, regarding some of the Heinies having the rear dot/notch off center, do you know of this happening even if the gun is sent to Heinie directly for the install?

My guess would be yes. At least when I got mine, they were often out of stock and had production runs irregularly. When they got a bunch in, they sold them. To be honest, I think the customer base would be doubly upset if they found out Heinie was purposely sending defective ones out the door and keeping the correct ones for their in-house installs.

wrt81
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know what the front site width is on the Heinie's for P30?

1986s4
12-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I read on BEnos.com that Dawson Precision is making a HK P30 set. Don't remember the variety; FO, plain black etc.

F-Trooper05
12-08-2011, 12:11 PM
.125 I believe.

JM Campbell
12-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Dawson's:

Serrated black front
Tritium front
Fiber Optic front

Fiber Optic rear
Plain Black rear (non serrated)

ETA: you have to search for them on Dawson's site as "P30L sights"