PDA

View Full Version : Glock Gen 4 barrel compatibility

ADK
04-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Hoping someone has some experience with this.

My situation:

I received a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 23 Gen 4 from Midway, after a long backorder wait.

Was very excited, until I tried to drop the barrel into my slide--and it didn't even come close to fitting. The rear of the barrel hood seems to be too wide--it won't fit into the slide. Not sure how the other dimensions are b/c I couldn't get it to seat at all due to the thickness at the rear of the barrel hood (I hope that's the right term--where the rearmost top of the barrel is supposed to mate with the slide).
I've read in many places online that LW barrels are 100% compatible with Glock Gen 4. Uh-huh. . . .

Met up with a friend who has a Gen 2 G23 with something like 80,000+ rounds through it. The LW conversion barrel fit perfectly in my friend's Glock 23 Gen 2. Comparing stock barrels and slides between his Gen 2 and my Gen 4, it's clear that the barrels and slides are different between the two generations, at least in the area where the very back of the barrel hood mates with the slide. The Gen 4 slide has a narrower opening, and the Gen 4 stock barrel has a narrower back-of-barrel-hood. There's no way the Gen 2 stock barrel would fit in the Gen 4 slide.

Is anyone aware of this compatibility issue? Is it universal or did I somehow get a freak Glock? I haven't contacted Glock about this yet because I doubt they'll have anything to say besides, "Don't use aftermarket barrels, and if you want a 9mm, buy a Glock 19." Possibly good advice, but still. . . .

Thanks for any advice you could provide!

WyoXd
04-20-2011, 05:24 AM
My only experience with a LW barrel is with the Gen 4 Glock 17. Mine fits just fine and thus far functions flawlessly. I'm curious if your issue is model specific or some kind of fluke. I've read (online) and watched some youtube vids where people have had great luck with LW conversion barrels in their Gen 4 Glocks. I think I would call LW first--I bet they'll take care of you. Sorry for your misfortune and good luck to you.

JV_
04-20-2011, 05:45 AM
FWIW: I was unable to drop my Gen 3 17 (EXO) barrel in to a Gen 4 19 slide.

There are probably some dimensional differences with the Gen 4 barrel & slide mating surfaces compared to a Gen 3.