PDA

View Full Version : controlled round feed Vs. push feed

iakdrago
03-20-2013, 04:21 PM
I've been doing some research, that has lead me to believe that a lot of what is being said about the benefits of push feed theoretical, and practically overstated.

I'm looking at purchasing either a Remington 700,or a Winchester Model 70. Hence the debate. Does anyone have any personal experience with problems/malfunctions with either action--not something that they read somewhere on the internet?

JV_
03-20-2013, 04:25 PM
With a 700, I frequently throw a round in the chamber and it gets wedged against the far wall. I have to drop the floorplate to get it free. It's called a "Remington moment". It irritates me enough that all of my 700s are gone and I'm only using actions, like a Surgeon, that have the anti-bind rail.

Now, I also use DBMs, so the issue is also solved with the mag.

G60
03-20-2013, 10:18 PM
I've got nothing to offer except a link:
http://artoftherifle.blogspot.com/2012/10/controlled-round-feed-cutting-through.html

Chuck Haggard
03-20-2013, 10:49 PM
I think just pure QC wise the Winchester is the better gun. Lately Remington's QC has been crappy.

That said, I have been running a couple of Savage .308s for a few years now, and run one of them pretty hard, without issues. The Savage guns are all push feed.

Up1911Fan
03-21-2013, 12:11 AM
What will the rifle be used for?

JHC
03-21-2013, 10:17 AM
I think just pure QC wise the Winchester is the better gun. Lately Remington's QC has been crappy.

That said, I have been running a couple of Savage .308s for a few years now, and run one of them pretty hard, without issues. The Savage guns are all push feed.

I have a .308 Hog Gun on layaway thanks to you in that Practical Rifle thread.

Clyde from Carolina
03-21-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't usually get into these discussions because I'm not really a bolt rifle guy per se, at least not modern rifles. I've shot a lot more vintage rifles. But I was underwhelmed when I managed to have a "Remington Moment" with a buddy's brand new 700 police a few years ago. It jammed on me while I was shooting/loading and I made a joke- to cover my embarassment - about that not happening with my model 70s or 98 Mausers. :rolleyes:

Chuck Haggard
03-21-2013, 12:00 PM
I have a .308 Hog Gun on layaway thanks to you in that Practical Rifle thread.

Let me know how that thing shoots, I'm interested in one myself.

Al T.
03-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Iak,

I have no issues with non-CRF rifles if they are not dangerous game rifles. The big advantage of CRF rifles is that they make short stroking a survivable error.

On a slightly different note, if you will get into the habit of always loading cartridges into the magazine and briskly run the bolt by using the web between your thumb and forefinger, the difference between the two systems is diminished.

MDS
03-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I have a LTR and a M70. I've had one Remington moment with the LTR, and one double feed with the winnie. I've only got maybe 600 rounds on each gun so take it for what it's worth. My take away so far is that if you don't take your bolt work seriously, you can jam up anything...

GJM
03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
The pre-64 model 70 has other advantages over the Remington for a hard use rifle, like feed lips integral to the action, which make for better feeding of magnum and other cartridges, a more robust trigger, and three position safety.

Dan_S
03-22-2013, 12:07 PM
The pre-64 model 70 has other advantages...and three position safety.

I've packed a bolt gun in the field a fair bit, and have yet to figure out the benefit of a three position safety.

Care to expound on this one for me??

GJM
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM
As regards the model 70 three position safety:

Allows you to load with a safety on. Allows you to positively lock the bolt handle when hunting in thick brush. Seems to stay in the safe position better than many two position safeties like the Remington. Doesn't go bang at inopportune times. Allows you to put it in the middle position, and unscrew the firing pin without tools.

secondstoryguy
03-22-2013, 02:38 PM

Allows you to load with a safety on. Allows you to positively lock the bolt handle when hunting in thick brush. Seems to stay in the safe position better than many two position safeties like the Remington. Doesn't go bang at inopportune times. Allows you to put it in the middle position, and unscrew the firing pin without tools.

GJM is right on. The part in bold is absolutely huge. Especially when hunting up in the mountains in the winter(nothing sucks worse than shouldering your rifle only to see your action open and packed with pine needles, ice and snow).

Dan_S
03-22-2013, 03:55 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

I've never run in to issues like that - When I'm in a vehicle, I generally leave the bolt handle up with a round in the chamber until I run into something that needs shooting, and then simply slap the bolt handle down as I shoulder the rifle. No messing with the safety, and quicker to boot. Not saying it is better for anyone else, but for me that works well.

GJM
03-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

I've never run in to issues like that - When I'm in a vehicle, I generally leave the bolt handle up with a round in the chamber until I run into something that needs shooting, and then simply slap the bolt handle down as I shoulder the rifle. No messing with the safety, and quicker to boot. Not saying it is better for anyone else, but for me that works well.

The PH, I hunted with in 1992 in Botswana, removed the safety positions from his model 70 .375 H&H, after a bad dust-up with a lion, and relied on keeping the bolt handle up if he wanted to chamber a round without firing. I can think of reasons I would want a round chambered with the safety on, such as sitting in a blind where I wouldn't want the noise of closing the bolt, but there are a bunch of ways to skin a cat.