PDA

View Full Version : LEM support hand shooting

GJM
04-19-2011, 08:07 PM
I was down at the Rogers Shooting School last week. Took a P30 9mm with a LEM trigger as primary, and shot an HK 45 with an LEM for part of the course.

While free style and strong hand shooting was fine, I really struggled with the support hand shooting with the LEM trigger. Slower fire was fine, but trying to make the times there, I was yarding on the trigger and pulling my shots right.

After getting home, I grabbed a Glock 17 for giggles, and the support handing shooting felt like cheating by comparison. I have been working on my support hand shooting with the LEM, but it still seems harder with the longer pull -- in particular when moving the trigger quickly through that amount of travel, I believe I am getting a sympathetic squeezing of my small and ringer finger that doesn't happen with the shorter travel triggers.

Thoughts?

John Ralston
04-19-2011, 08:19 PM
I just practice a lot of dry fire with my support hand only, trying to manipulate the trigger as fast as possible. I did swap the springs to make it the ToddG configuration, which helps a bunch.

ToddG
04-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah, not to sound like a jerk but the solution is, practice. The trigger has to move about 1/10th of an inch further each way out and back. It's far less than on a true DAO or DA revolver, both of which people have been shooting WHO successfully for generations.

GJM
04-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Actually, a lot of practice!

Never thought of a Glock or M&P trigger being a crutch, but the LEM trigger underscores how underdeveloped my support hand shooting skills are.

The good news is through about 2,700 rounds at Rogers, neither the P30 nor HK 45 had a single malfunction.

MechEng
04-20-2011, 08:15 AM
+4 on the “Just Practice” approach to your problem. I think we all basically feel like we suck, regardless of trigger setup, when it comes to WHO shooting, thus the W for “Weak” hand. Just slow down a bit when shooting WHO, practice a lot and your confidence will build with time.