PDA

View Full Version : Glock 30S - First Impressions

ST911
03-20-2013, 08:41 AM
I recently shot the G30S (w/ 10rd mag) alongside a G21 and G36. It was not a prolonged range session, but sufficient for a preliminary, informed opinion.

It's an interesting little hybrid. The gun recoils like a G36 due to the mass and stroke velocity of the G36 slide. However, the usual sharpness of the G36 is mitigated somewhat with the larger G30SF grip. The reduced slide girth and resultant weight reduction is noticeable but not profound.

I had no trouble staying on the head of a B21 target or inside a softball at 10yds at various speeds. The gun is obviously capable of better accuracy with more deliberate shooting.

When held alongside a G19 for comparison, the G30S with 10rd magazine was very close in size.

When placed within a G19 holster, the fit was tight. Leather for the G19/23 could be worked to accept the G30S. Fit in plastics would depend entirely on molding. A model-specific holster seems prudent here.

Were I in the market for a compact 45ACP, I would choose the G30S over the standard G30 and G30SF for its overall size efficiency.

I would like to shoot this gun again when available with the gen4 grip texture, and with a 9-round magazine.

No photos, no ammo comparisons, but a starting snapshot.

Anyone else?

JonInWA
03-20-2013, 06:01 PM
I've handled, but not shot one yet. I'm impressed. If I was in the market, I'd certainly choose it over a G30 or a G30SF. It would be a tougher choice to go for the G30S as is, or to wait for the inevitable Gen4 version.

Best, Jon

VolGrad
03-21-2013, 07:21 AM
I picked up a blue label G30S last weekend. I had been a wait list for a while before getting the call.

I haven't fired mine yet but if the sleet holds off tomorrow I will get some rounds downrange. I installed night sights last night & applied a little grease on the connector. Should be good to go.

My impressions are the same as the two previous posts. I prefer the size/feel over previous variants of the G30 and way more than the awkward feeling G36. The size really is pretty close to a G19, although just a tad "bigger" in the width & grip. The slide is slightly shorter than a G19. Laying the G30S over/under a G26 I was also surprised. The G30S isn't that much difference in height or length. It sort of splits the difference between a G26 and a G19, just wider.

The trigger is a bit stiffer than I recall on other factory fresh NIB Gen3 guns. It's not bad though and has a nice clicky, positive reset. It's notable the slide doesn't go fully into battery if you ride it in the slightest. Not a real world "issue" but it's noticable. If you don't let it slam home it sticks about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch before it goes back into battery and requires a little bump to the back of the slide to get it back into action. The slide was also extremely difficult to get off so I could install the front night sight. I actually got frustrated, quit for a few minutes, then came back to it before being successful.

I tested the G30S in a few kydex holsters I had laying around;
PerSec Systems; yes
Dark Star Gear; yes
Comp-Tac; probably ... but I didn't bother letting out the tension screw as it's adjusted where I like it for my 9mm GLOCKs
FIN Design; no
Cane & Derby; no

ST911
03-21-2013, 08:41 AM
It's notable the slide doesn't go fully into battery if you ride it in the slightest. Not a real world "issue" but it's noticable. If you don't let it slam home it sticks about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch before it goes back into battery and requires a little bump to the back of the slide to get it back into action. The slide was also extremely difficult to get off so I could install the front night sight. I actually got frustrated, quit for a few minutes, then came back to it before being successful.

Interesting. Those didn't occur in the one I shot.

Thanks for the added info.

Crusader8207
03-21-2013, 09:23 AM
I too have a 30S and had problems with it not going fully into battery (it wouldn't happen all of the time just occasionally). I called Glock yesterday and they said people have been having that same issue. They are sending a new recoil spring out as a solution. As far as holsters are concerned, I am using a Comp-Tac Infidel for a 29/30 with rails as well as a custom Dale Fricke Arch Angel.

SmokeJumper
03-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Glad to hear some first hand experience on the 30S...but curious on the whole slide not going into battery issue. I would like to know if the recoil spring solves the issue. Out of curiosity, any magazine issues with the full size 13 rounders? I would think it would not be an issue at all. My G30SF with a stipple job has been a faithful companion on/off duty, but I'm really want to see how much of a difference in size there is in person.

Crusader8207
03-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Smokejumper, I used 2 13 rounders last week in a class and they worked fine. I'm taking the First Responder class with Spencer and Hard Wired Tactical and plan on running the 30s.

ST911
03-23-2013, 11:02 PM
In my experience, the G30-types function fine with the full size mags. There's no reason to think the G30S wouldn't as well.

SmokeJumper
03-24-2013, 05:43 AM
Might have not been the best question, was just curious as new guns sometimes need to have a few kinks worked out, more curious of any issues that may have revealed themselves. I too have never had any issues running full size mags in the Compact or sub compact Glocks.

Soldiernursenomo
03-27-2013, 07:08 PM
A couple of weeks ago I bought a Blue Label ($464) G4G30 w/3 10rd mags. During the 5 week wait on order at GT Distributors I bought 3 more mags but 13rds. Very pleased with the range results. Recoil very manageable & I shoot one-handed.

L8R...

VolGrad
03-30-2013, 08:26 PM
It's notable the slide doesn't go fully into battery if you ride it in the slightest. Not a real world "issue" but it's noticable. If you don't let it slam home it sticks about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch before it goes back into battery and requires a little bump to the back of the slide to get it back into action.So, I finally made it to the range with my G30S today. Unfortunately, it will require some attention from GLOCK. The slide failed to return to battery to the tune of 1-2 times per magazine over the course of approx 10 magazines. At that point I felt I was wasting ammo and put it back in the box. The likely culprit is the RSA which is an easy fix. However, I am sorely disappointed.

Crusader8207
03-30-2013, 11:13 PM
I have received my new RSA from Glock however, I have not had an opportunity to get to the range to see if it fixed the problem. It took about 5 days to get the new spring in.

steve
04-05-2013, 06:56 AM
I just got my 30S, test fire date of 3/12/2013. I broke it down to clean it and when I got it back together and started cycling the slide it would not return to battery without a slap on slide. I called Glock and a RSA is enroute to me. The end of the recoil spring that came with the gun is showing wear without even being fired.

VolGrad
04-05-2013, 07:11 AM
I have a new RSA on the way as well. I'll report back when it arrives.

VolGrad
04-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I have a new RSA on the way as well. I'll report back when it arrives.
New RSA seems to have fixed the issue. I haven't tested in live fire though and don't plan to. I had a live actual GLOCK factory person check it out and install the new RSA (not just a regular dime a dozen GLOCK Certified Armorer like me). Good enough for me. Off to GB.

EDIT: Before someone jumps me for selling so soon ... I didn't shoot the G30S as well as I shoot my 9mm GLOCKs (any size) or my full size M&P45. I have just finally accepted if it's not a full sized gun I don't want a .45acp. THAT'S why I'm selling.

Savage Hands
04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
There are some bad RSA's out there, we had one in a Gen 4 G29 which the Glock rep replaced with another bad one then got it right the third time.

steve
04-09-2013, 08:24 AM
I took a recoil spring out of my 30SF and swapped it with the 30S, problem solved. The Recoil Spring issues are happening quite frequently when Glock updates to new springs. Glock needs to put a little more effort in quality control with the new Recoil Springs. No excuse for crap like this leaving the factory. They are junk straight out of the box.

steve
04-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Got it to the range today. I fired 100 rounds of Blazer Brass through it and it functioned flawlessly. Very controllable, I like the weight and feel and like it much better than my 30SF; which I likely will be selling. Except for the RSA, Glock did well listening to folks and bringing it to the market.

Psychlone
10-12-2013, 08:39 AM
I posted a thread on the holsters section but what holsters is everyone using for their G30S? I'm having a really hard time locating any model specific holsters.

MGW
10-12-2013, 12:55 PM
It sort of splits the difference between a G26 and a G19, just wider.

Would you call it M&P9c size? I never had the opportunity to compare the two.

It's notable the slide doesn't go fully into battery if you ride it in the slightest. Not a real world "issue" but it's noticable. If you don't let it slam home it sticks about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch before it goes back into battery and requires a little bump to the back of the slide to get it back into action. The slide was also extremely difficult to get off so I could install the front night sight. I actually got frustrated, quit for a few minutes, then came back to it before being successful.

I traded off my G30SF over a year ago but I seem to remember having similar issues with mine early on. A quick tap would solve the issue. After a couple range sessions, cleaned after each, it went away.

I really thought about ordering a BL 30s myself simply because I have a stockpile of .45. If they had a Gen4 I probably would have. I put an order in for a Gen4 26 instead a few weeks ago. I know the 26 will get used and carried and the 30 probably not.

Edit: didn't finish reading the thread and saw the RSA change fixed it.

Cool Breeze
10-19-2013, 02:56 PM
I've been thinking about this when the G30S came out but forgot to ask. This width of this gun perplexes me. Glock is marketing it as a slimmer slide but I'm looking at the dimensions on glock's website and the G30S is listed as being wider (1.28 inches) compared to the G30 of 1.27 inches. This seems so weird to me? Am I missing something?

JHC
10-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Would you call it M&P9c size? I never had the opportunity to compare the two.

I traded off my G30SF over a year ago but I seem to remember having similar issues with mine early on. A quick tap would solve the issue. After a couple range sessions, cleaned after each, it went away.

I really thought about ordering a BL 30s myself simply because I have a stockpile of .45. If they had a Gen4 I probably would have. I put an order in for a Gen4 26 instead a few weeks ago. I know the 26 will get used and carried and the 30 probably not.

Edit: didn't finish reading the thread and saw the RSA change fixed it.

Last week I fired 200 rds through a friends Gen 4 G30 and in dry manual slide manipulations it would hang up without going fully into battery also. I did not see that occur in the live fire. It did have one fail to feed in the first few rounds and then not again. It was amazingly easy to control very flat in 4-6 shot strings of fire.

MGW
10-19-2013, 10:15 PM
I've been thinking about this when the G30S came out but forgot to ask. This width of this gun perplexes me. Glock is marketing it as a slimmer slide but I'm looking at the dimensions on glock's website and the G30S is listed as being wider (1.28 inches) compared to the G30 of 1.27 inches. This seems so weird to me? Am I missing something?

I may be off on this but if I remember correctly the frame on the S is is wider than the slide.

Whiskey_Bravo
10-21-2013, 07:39 AM
For those of you that have handled it, do you think the new 30S with a further frame reduction and stipple work would be a viable deep concealment/back up weapon for duty use? The allure of a BUG Glock that uses the same magazines as a 21 or 30 instead of going to a 36 is pretty appealing to me.

SeaSoldier
02-01-2014, 09:14 AM
For those running a Heinie or Warren rear sight, how tall of a front sight is working?

SeaSoldier
04-19-2014, 06:56 PM
What sights and how tall of a front sight are you guys running in the G30S or G36?