PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your ammunition?

SC_Dave
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
I keep mine in a closet in my reloading room that is in the house (climate controlled) but I am curious about how other do it.

JDM
03-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Most of my rifle ammo is loaded in magazines in my safe. Pistol ammo is in GI ammo cans in a locking cabinet, and shotgun ammo is in factory packages in the same "gun stuff" cabinet as the pistol ammo.

Jay
03-19-2013, 01:44 PM
MTM .50 Cases With desiccant packs replaced annually, all ammo in original packaging.

JDM
03-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Are you referring to my house as your "gun stuff cabinet" now? :)

Well...the shed. Not the whole thing.

MDS
03-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Most of my rifle ammo is loaded in magazines in my safe. Pistol ammo is in GI ammo cans in a locking cabinet, and shotgun ammo is in factory packages in the same "gun stuff" cabinet as the pistol ammo.

easy when your entire AO is like a giant desiccant pack for the rest of the country... ;) I have a bunch of 308 brass collecting - what? Rust? - anyway, showing signs of corrosion in my garage after only a few months. I'll be moving to drier climates here in a few weeks, so hopefully that won't be a problem anymore.

BN
03-19-2013, 05:41 PM
I checked all of them except "I don't store extra ammo". ;)

A little bit here, a little bit there, some in the trunk of my car, etc. :)

JDM
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
easy when your entire AO is like a giant desiccant pack for the rest of the country... ;) I have a bunch of 308 brass collecting - what? Rust? - anyway, showing signs of corrosion in my garage after only a few months. I'll be moving to drier climates here in a few weeks, so hopefully that won't be a problem anymore.

Coming this way?

Odin Bravo One
03-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Space is a premium at my house now that I have had to give up the other 7 rooms for a wife, stepson, soon to be son, and all of the shit that is associated with consolidating two houses into one.

I store junk/range ammo in loose in cans as I can get 300-500 rounds or more per can than if I keep it in a box. I store some of my premium ammo in it's original packaging (mostly for ease of travel/flying), but the bulk is loose packed into cans as well. Military ammo cans do a very good job of keeping moisture and other contaminants out of the ammo, and assuming it is decent ammo to being with, helps to withstands extreme temperatures, and even extreme temperature shifts. I've used ammo cans full of ammo for various underwater activities, and except for prolonged exposure to that environment, the ammo has held up well.

Humidity, hurricanes, flooding, etc., are all possible in my area's, and I am confident that ammo stored in a can will withstand those types of unfortunate circumstances.

MDS
03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Coming this way?

Denver. Soon. Finally. =)

GJM
03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
I think the real question these days, is do your store your firearms or your ammo in the gun safe(s)?

Kyle Reese
03-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I think the real question these days, is do your store your firearms or your ammo in the gun safe(s)?

Who has a safe large enough to do that?

Drang
03-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Denver. Soon. Finally. =)

I was going to make a crack about impeccable timing, but...
:mad:

Odin Bravo One
03-19-2013, 10:25 PM

I store a "Ready" mag for each gun in the safe...........in the safe. Well, in the gun, which is in the safe........More loaded mags in the bolt bag, both sets of armor, 3 chest rigs, and a couple on my gun belt.

Some of it is in the house, some upstairs, some downstairs, some in a closet next to the safe, some in the garage, one in the car alongside the emergency roadside kit.........

And there is also an ammo can with primary long gun/primary pistol mags. But it is hidden among the other 35 ammo cans......maybe I should use that label maker and do something crazy with it.

Drang
03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Most of my ammo is stored in cans or boxes, in the safe. Ready ammo is on mags or 'loaders, with the gun.

Climate control is pretty much nonexistant here in Pugetopolis, as it rarely gets so hot that AC makes sense, and dehumidifiers are bailing the ocean.

Rich
04-16-2013, 03:38 PM
I keep all SD ammo inside the house

90% of the ammo is kept in GI ammo cans

My practice or Ball ammo is out in the garage

Back in the late 90`s I found a box of my grandfathers 12ga ammo
It was kept in is dresser. any way all the paper cased 12GA loads all fired off.
And yes I have his M37 pump that was made in the 30`s

Been thinking of cutting the barrel down to 18inches. since I cant find a barrel to buy

dbateman
04-17-2013, 04:31 PM
I use a large fileing Cabernet then I out grew it so I have a large steel cupboard that's a bit I've six foot heigh and around four foot across.

That's where I keep all my mags and loaded ammo and anything else I think should be locked away.

Unprimed brass and projectiles just lives in the built in wardrobe in my gun room where my gun safe is.

My house is air conditioned.

JFK
04-17-2013, 04:50 PM
I am just shocked that people can get enough ammo to "store." I have been very familiar with the term backorder....

Rich
04-20-2013, 02:53 PM
I am just shocked that people can get enough ammo to "store." I have been very familiar with the term backorder....

A member of another forum warn me/us that ammo was going to be high priced and hard to find.
So I bought and stash what I could .

I wonder if he knew it would get this bad ?

TGS
04-21-2013, 10:29 AM
A member of another forum warn me/us that ammo was going to be high priced and hard to find.
So I bought and stash what I could .

I wonder if he knew it would get this bad ?

Well, the situation didn't really require clairvoyance to figure out.....

Glock17JHP
08-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Ammunition is in two places. Both places are climate controlled, and indoors. I have a 'low limit', and that is in stacked containers, sorted by caliber. The rest is in a bin, and all ammunition is in original packaging, either unopened cases, or the boxes that are inside of them. All ammunition is protected in case the floor gets flooded with water from rain or a waterpipe leak.

STORE AMMUNITION IN A COOL, DRY PLACE!!!

JBP55
08-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Climate controlled in original packages.

Rich
08-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Well, the situation didn't really require clairvoyance to figure out.....

I was buying Q3131 for 2.88 a box back in 2003 .

I thought everything was fine back then. I didn't have a clue .

Shipwreck
08-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Inside my gunsafe with the dehumidifier inside - inside my home.

Tamara
08-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Range ammo in my common calibers (.32 Long, .32ACP, .38 Spl, 9x19, .45ACP, and 5.56), there's usually an ammo can full of loose rounds ready to grab and take to the range in the basement. Overflow is in factory boxes to be staged into the cans.

JHP and high-grade target ammo stays climate-controlled and in the factory packaging until use. Military surplus stuff for old service rifles can live in the attic; I reckon it's seen worse temperature extremes over the decades.