PDA

View Full Version : Busy Body Bloomberg Busting Big 'Bacco

BaiHu
03-18-2013, 01:25 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/18/us-usa-newyork-smoking-idUSBRE92H0S820130318

Stores would still be allowed to advertise and display pricing information for the tobacco products they sell, but the actual products would have to be hidden from public view except during a sale or during restocking.

The legislation would also increase the penalties on stores that illegally resell cigarettes smuggled in from states with lower tobacco taxes and would prohibit retailers from redeeming discount coupons on tobacco sales.

Bloomberg expects to have the council's support, although a vote was not expected immediately, a spokeswoman for the mayor said.

New York City already bans smoking in most offices, restaurants, bars, parks and beaches. Bloomberg has also taken steps to curtail the use of trans fats and salt in the city's restaurants. Last week a court struck down his attempt to limit the size of sugary drinks.
__________________________________________________ __________________

Tobacco specialty stores, already banned from admitting customers
under the age of 18, would be exempt from the requirement on the display
of cigarettes.

RoyGBiv
03-18-2013, 01:29 PM
But war realism is ok for third graders.
Boggles the mind.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/18/new-york-approves-war-oriented-textbooks-for-third-graders/

Original article: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/scary_lesson_for_children_bO5X9X3DL645bfAireDgnM

“The Librarian of Basra,” which contains drawings of fighter planes dropping bombs on a palm-tree-lined Middle Eastern town.

In another illustration, the protagonist looks worried, peering out a window at soldiers manning machine guns on a rooftop.

The terrified townsfolk wonder, “Who among us will die?” and “Will our families survive?”

BaiHu
03-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Well, when you've come to kick ass and smoke some Camels and you're all out of Camels, then.....you...umm. Yeah, I got nothing to counter that stupidity :p

Ohhh, it's from the point of view of the 'victim' .....well now it all makes sense. Start the victim hood training early.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Drang
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-s9v1vzDpWH4/UUD555JAWdI/AAAAAAAADpE/LkCib4jg5Uo/s640/motivator242b2b85f5937619ffc36211555369760187b72d. jpg

Robert Mitchum
03-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Bloomberg

---k you and the horse you rode in on.

hufnagel
03-18-2013, 05:57 PM
don't blame the horse. that poor creature was broken a thousand years ago and has been a slave ever since.

Tamara
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Busy Body Bloomberg Busting Big 'Bacco

Basically, Bloomie's Bitter Because Bench Bitch-slapped Big Apple's Bubbly Big Gulp Ban.

Drang
03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Basically, Bloomie's Bitter Because Bench Bitch-slapped Big Apple's Bubbly Big Gulp Ban.
:D
I hear the Rumford Meteor is looking for a new headline writer.

TCinVA
03-18-2013, 06:54 PM
There's some sage phrase about the propensity of a hopelessly broken government turning its leviathan powers on the minute details of life after its proven hopelessly incompetent at core functions.

FNFAN
03-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Meanwhile back at the Ranch..... "80% of New York City high school graduates have trouble with basic skills like reading, writing and math. The vast majority do not have the basic skills you would expect of someone half their age."

If he wants to be the National Nanny he should have Skeeter make that a new cabinet level position. Let someone who wants to address the issues that the Mayor of New York City is actually responsible do the job.

Robert Mitchum
03-19-2013, 12:06 AM
don't blame the horse. that poor creature was broken a thousand years ago and has been a slave ever since.

---k you and the horse you rode in on

Term used to tell someone to ---k off and get off there pedestal.

G60
03-19-2013, 01:17 AM
Stores would still be allowed to advertise and display pricing information for the tobacco products they sell, but the actual products would have to be hidden from public view except during a sale or during restocking.

So, basically, they could construct the Cigarette cabinets with pictures of the packs of cigarettes they stock, but the actual packs themselves couldn't be visible.

DanH
03-19-2013, 02:28 AM
Meanwhile back at the Ranch..... "80% of New York City high school graduates have trouble with basic skills like reading, writing and math. The vast majority do not have the basic skills you would expect of someone half their age."

and now we know how he got to be mayor...

TCinVA
03-19-2013, 05:31 AM
So, basically, they could construct the Cigarette cabinets with pictures of the packs of cigarettes they stock, but the actual packs themselves couldn't be visible.

Liberalism can be fairly accurately summed up by the phrase: "It's the thought that counts."

Questioning the somewhat dubious idea that hiding packets of cigarettes from the eyesight of children will make them less likely to smoke, or asking how showing pictures of the tobacco products the children aren't supposed to see makes any sense is just....well...reactionary.

All we need be concerned about here is that it's an idea come up with by one of our betters, and most crucially, it's for the children.

Tamara
03-19-2013, 05:49 AM

It doesn't have to make sense, so long as:

It shows that you care, and
It requires compliance.

bdcheung
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Liberalism can be fairly accurately summed up by the phrase: "It's the thought that counts."

Can we clarify this to say, "Liberal activism"? I know plenty of people who are "liberal" but disagree vehemently with the overreaching policies of Bloomberg (and even Feinstein).

I'd have the same response if someone said "conservatism can be fairly accurately summed up by the phrase, 'fuck you I'm rich'".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RoyGBiv
03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Can we clarify this to say, "Liberal activism"? I know plenty of people who are "liberal" but disagree vehemently with the overreaching policies of Bloomberg (and even Feinstein).

I'd have the same response if someone said "conservatism can be fairly accurately summed up by the phrase, 'fuck you I'm rich'".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The terms are used so many different ways and cover far too much ground to be truly meaningful.
I liked Rand Paul's comments the other day, when he referred to himself as a "Conservative Libertarian".
I might be fiscally conservative and socially libertarian. Very difficult to describe with one word.

Anyways... /OT

John Ralston
03-19-2013, 02:28 PM
I think it's a great idea...I see grade school kids browsing the selection of tobacco all the time, shouting "oohhhh....look at that pretty one there, mommy, can I get it?"

Tamara
03-19-2013, 06:46 PM

No, conservatism can be summed up by the phrase "Fun is for commies and will make you go to hell."

Drang
03-19-2013, 10:11 PM
No, conservatism can be summed up by the phrase "Fun is for commies and will make you go to hell."

I thought that was puritanism.

Tamara
03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
I thought that was puritanism.

Take a look at the audience pans at CPAC. The place looks like an open casting call for a Little House on the Prairie reboot.

Drang
03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Take a look at the audience pans at CPAC. The place looks like an open casting call for a Little House on the Prairie reboot.

The same could be--and has been--said about the DNC. And MSNBC. And #Occupy.

G60
03-20-2013, 12:46 PM
"Bloomberg, champion of choice." Not from The Onion: http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1293096

BaiHu
03-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Well we know where all of NY's taxes are going to, the spin-meisters.....

Tamara
03-20-2013, 09:48 PM
The same could be--and has been--said about the DNC. And MSNBC. And #Occupy.

LOLWUT?

Seriously, I think I'd notice the dreadlocks in amongst the gingham dresses.

Drang
03-21-2013, 07:54 PM
LOLWUT?

Seriously, I think I'd notice the dreadlocks in amongst the gingham dresses.

I was referring to skin tone, not fashion sense, or lack of same.

Kyle Reese
03-21-2013, 08:39 PM
I was referring to skin tone, not fashion sense, or lack of same.

Let's avoid categorizing people based on their skin tone in this context.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2