PDA

View Full Version : So look...shoulder holsters. Yeah, I know.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Yeah, yeah. But this is the only place I trust to give me any reasonable information, for obvious reasons. Please bear with me. I assure you I understand the limitations of shoulder holsters and I will not do anything stupid here.

But here is the thing. From my wife's perspective, a shoulder holster on a guy is equivalent to a garter belt on a woman. The deal is basically this: she is going to buy one for me, for the same reason that I have been feeding an account at Frederick's of Hollywood for the last decade. I could not justify buying one for myself, and I never would (again...I did have a Miami Classic about fifteen years ago. Leave me alone. Everybody was doing it). I would buy kydex from DSG or leather from 5Shot. But this is not my money, or my choice.

Now somebody else is buying and the payoff is pretty good in terms of her taking to stockings and so on...this is a worthwhile trade. I mean really worthwhile, garter-belt-wise. Also, I'm in Canada and there is no provision for me to legally carry other than either at home or on the range anyway, so it's not like this will be seeing a ton of defensive use. I have real gear for that kind of stuff, anyway. I say this so you won't all be picturing me standing on the far right lane at the range and sweeping every single person there and blowing holes in everything on my other strong side...believe me. I get it.

But let's be honest...shoulder holsters...kind of cool right? I mean on some level, doesn't everyone SORT OF have that gut reaction? Nice for driving in, anyway. I guess they're pretty pointless. It doesn't matter.

But what is the best of breed in this admittedly goofy field?

Let's just pretend I've come in here and said, "look, someone's giving me a dog and it's a show breed and I can't change that. How can I maximize this situation and try to make sure that the dog is not an abject, horrific reflection of narcissistic, inconsiderate breeders indifferent to canine purpose or welfare, and try to raise this show dog with the best chance possible?"

Yes, I wrote this with the full expectance that LL was going to see "shoulder holster" in the title and come in here and verbally kick me in the nuts and I thought I might preempt that by appealing to his feeling.

I would just like to end up with a holster where I say, "yeah, okay, stupid...but you know, it's really well built, hangs perfectly with a 1911 in it, and given the limitations of shoulder holsters, this one is very good."

Lord have mercy: what is your advice?

Steve S.
03-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Dude... you're wife wants to buy you a shoulder holster, not get you to start wearing sweater vests. Get the shoulder holster and get it in with the missus, John McClane style. Wear a dirty wife beater and crawl around with a zippo... just to spice it up.

To keep it easy, I'd personally go Miami Classic. She won't spend an insane amount of money, it will be a good holster (for what it is), and those things hold their resale value.... so when you have to put a spiderman costume on when this gets boring you can recover the loot.

An often missed plus of the shoulder holster is it can be worn sans clothing. If ol' Willis took advantage of this in Last Man Standing... maybe it would have ended differently.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Hmm...I do already own a number of wifebeaters. I could really easily stop doing laundry for a few weeks.

Up1911Fan
03-17-2013, 03:02 PM
IF I was going to get one it would be the Express Line Mitch Rosen from Dillon. Not that I actually want one. But the Rosen stuff is good quality for the $.

Dan_S
03-17-2013, 04:13 PM
To keep it easy, I'd personally go Miami Classic.

I'd seriously consider going with a vertical version of the Galco, rather than the horizontal holster, even if you don't plan to use the holster for much serious work.

Chuck Haggard
03-17-2013, 04:33 PM
I had a Miami Classic for a long time, and before that a Jackass rig for my Speed Six (no spare ammo on the non-gun side type rig), the second rig allowed me to actually carry a .357mag under a tucked in shirt.

I found both servicable.

How about a Tanker style holster? Has shoulder straps but is useful to own and retains the gun better than a Miami Classic rig, works really well while out in the woods and such, or while driving armored vehicles in my experience.

Maybe one of these for when you want to go all 007 on her;

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=327&GunID=169

Drang
03-17-2013, 05:35 PM
How about a Tanker style holster? Has shoulder straps but is useful to own and retains the gun better than a Miami Classic rig, works really well while out in the woods and such, or while driving armored vehicles in my experience.
This was going to be my suggestion--if you're not actually carrying concealed, it does a good job of controlling the pistola and keeping it out of the way--but I started chuckling at

Dude... you're wife wants to buy you a shoulder holster, not get you to start wearing sweater vests. Get the shoulder holster and get it in with the missus, John McClane style. Wear a dirty wife beater and crawl around with a zippo... just to spice it up.
and when I got to

so when you have to put a spiderman costume on when this gets boring you can recover the loot.
I rost, and HH6 took the netbook away so she could read it.

Good thing it's not armored fighting vehicles that get her going...

JodyH
03-17-2013, 05:40 PM
It's when you start asking about an offside pouch to hold the rubber chicken that I'm going to back slowly out of this thread.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-17-2013, 05:49 PM
It would never be a spiderman costume. It might be a batman costume.

Actually I am fortunate in that her tastes are pretty stable...steel framed pistols, leather holsters, and general 1920s through 1970s manhood.

I had pretty much gotten out of guns entirely on returning to Canada in about 1998 and was fairly comfortable owning nothing more than an 870 until we started dating, at which point I was pretty much forced to start buying 1911s again. I've blown this shoulder holster thing off literally for a decade because I know I won't really use it.

It wasn't until we struck a deal on "I'll wear the shoulder holster all the time, you wear garters and stockings all the time" that I was really prepared to commit. She has this massive collection of fancy undergarments that don't get a ton of use...now the special occasion stuff is the daily wear stuff, but in exchange, I have to finally accept the shoulder holster thing.

Rob E. (Robby to his friends) will back me up on this...it's just the right thing to do.

GJM
03-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Best shoulder holster by far I have used is the one made by Survival Sheath Systems. However, actually getting one after you have paid is sometimes the trick. Maybe if you explained it was for kinky fun with your wife, you might have better luck.

tremiles
03-17-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't know anything about shoulder holsters, and even less about women, but if it's "for her" and it's not going to be used socially, LET HER PICK IT OUT, on the condition that you get to pick out something for her that's fun "for you".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JSGlock34
03-17-2013, 07:20 PM
http://ttag.zippykidcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/shoulder-holster1.jpg

Actually a friend of mine acquired a 4506 complete with the Miami Classic rig. Awesome.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-17-2013, 07:37 PM
That is awesome.

I will say that my first thought was "just get a Miami Classic 2".

But I have not taken shoulder holsters seriously in a decade. I mean I don't think anyone has so there probably haven't been any big developments in the field but since I only have experience with the MC I thought maybe someone would come in here and say "my man, no. Get the Aker (or Alessi or Ritchie or something)."

In fact I looked at the Alessi bodyguard...nice looking rig but the retention system gives me the f'n heebie jeebies in the worst way.

orionz06
03-17-2013, 08:08 PM
There is no other shoulder holster other than the Miami Classic. Good enough for Don Johnson means good enough for me.

http://miamivice.su/gallery/pictures/donjohnson/Don_Johnson_Miami_Vice0.jpg

*Not based on experience, solely based on Miami Vice.

Wendell
03-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Have you looked at the options from Ken Null (http://www.klnullholsters.com/)? In particular, I've heard good things about the SMZ.

DocGKR
03-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Alessi Bodyguard is quite useable...

Maple Syrup Actual
03-18-2013, 12:56 AM
Have you looked at the options from Ken Null (http://www.klnullholsters.com/)? In particular, I've heard good things about the SMZ.
I have not...I will look in to that.

Alessi Bodyguard is quite useable...

So you are not bothered by the trigger guard retention system? I have not seen it in person; in pictures it looks like there is a snap that gets done up inside the trigger guard. Not an issue?

TCinVA
03-18-2013, 10:14 AM
But let's be honest...shoulder holsters...kind of cool right? I mean on some level, doesn't everyone SORT OF have that gut reaction?

There's a nicely maintained Galco Miami Classic hanging in my closet. I actually carried a Beretta 92 in that rig on a number of occasions, especially while driving. Typically under a vest. Adjusted properly on your frame and combined with the right clothes, it would actually probably work with the right handgun.

I've used a shoulder holster for a big revolver in the field, too. Under a coat it will keep the revolver out of the elements and you don't have to worry about freaking anyone out if you stop in the local deer check station for some jerky and Gatorade.

But what is the best of breed in this admittedly goofy field?

Let's just pretend I've come in here and said, "look, someone's giving me a dog and it's a show breed and I can't change that. How can I maximize this situation and try to make sure that the dog is not an abject, horrific reflection of narcissistic, inconsiderate breeders indifferent to canine purpose or welfare, and try to raise this show dog with the best chance possible?"

Yes, I wrote this with the full expectance that LL was going to see "shoulder holster" in the title and come in here and verbally kick me in the nuts and I thought I might preempt that by appealing to his feeling.

I would just like to end up with a holster where I say, "yeah, okay, stupid...but you know, it's really well built, hangs perfectly with a 1911 in it, and given the limitations of shoulder holsters, this one is very good."

Lord have mercy: what is your advice?

I love your posts, man. I almost always crack a smile when I read them.

As for what to buy...well...whatever has the most sex appeal. You could go the James Bond route for a smallish pistol that would look good when you take off the jacket of a nicely tailored suit, or you could go for the Don Johnson route with something like the Miami Classic. They even make them in exotic hides so you could theoretically have a Miami Classic made out of a gator that actually lived near Miami.

I'm sure Mr. Ralston could make you a good shoulder rig, too.

It would never be a spiderman costume. It might be a batman costume.

Actually I am fortunate in that her tastes are pretty stable...steel framed pistols, leather holsters, and general 1920s through 1970s manhood.

...so then a S&W revolver with a long barrel carried vertically would work too. And that would actually be a good hunting gun to boot...assuming you can legally shoot things with such a weapon up in Canada.

Pair it with some Gargoyles and you're in.

Dave J
03-18-2013, 11:42 AM
You don't have to answer this... but would she prefer you had one with a handcuff carrier on the weak side? :)

NEPAKevin
03-18-2013, 12:04 PM
There is no other shoulder holster other than the Miami Classic. Good enough for Don Johnson means good enough for me.

I could be wrong, but I recall reading that the holster used on Miami Vice was the Jackass model, except for the pilot which was a vertical like the Bianchi X15, on and then the Miami Classic on Nash Bridges.

orionz06
03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
I could be wrong, but I recall reading that the holster used on Miami Vice was the Jackass model, except for the pilot which was a vertical like the Bianchi X15, on and then the Miami Classic on Nash Bridges.

During the first season, he used a Bren Ten pistol carried in a Ted Blocker "Lifeline" shoulder holster rig.[4] Due to Don Johnson's dissatisfaction with the "Lifeline" rig, the Jackass Leather Company (later renamed Galco International)[4] "Original Jackass Rig"[4] shoulder holster rig was personally fitted for him by Rick Gallagher (President of Galco).[4] Finally the Galco "Miami Classic" shoulder holster was designed and used.[4] from Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_in_Miami_Vice)

NEPAKevin
03-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Null shoulder holsters are designed with practical carry in mind and are versatile as they allow for some interesting applications such as SMGs and suppressors. However, some of the shoulder holsters utilize a hook that loops through the trigger guard which under normal gravitational situations works fine but things might not end well if using a real loaded gun subjected to ummm, horizontal aerobics?

Maple Syrup Actual
03-18-2013, 12:21 PM
You don't have to answer this... but would she prefer you had one with a handcuff carrier on the weak side? :)

I'm going to go ahead and look in to this, and get back to you on that one.

I'm glad there's some worthwhile humour content to my posts...I can never tell if I'm striking the right balance between "legitimate informational discussion" and "screwball" for the venue.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Null shoulder holsters are designed with practical carry in mind and are versatile as they allow for some interesting applications such as SMGs and suppressors. However, some of the shoulder holsters utilize a hook that loops through the trigger guard which under normal gravitational situations works fine but things might not end well if using a real loaded gun subjected to ummm, horizontal aerobics?

Okay one thing I should probably dispel here: loaded guns are not used in any...non-standard activities. This was a non-negotiable item that got sorted out early in the relationship.

There were some inclinations that today might be described as possibly "tuntesque" that I just could not, you know...yeah, just going to trail off on that one.

NEPAKevin
03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
...yeah, just going to trail off on that one.

A departed friend used to like to say that there are two kinds of people in this world... Kinky people and these who wish they were.

BTW, Kramer, Del Fatti and some others make a really nice looking rigs out of exotic leather that might be worth looking into.

MDS
03-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Whatever you get, make sure it's leather and that it's not broken in. This may just be my own personal taste here, so feel free to disregard, but any excuse to introduce crisco into the equation can only add value...

Maple Syrup Actual
03-18-2013, 03:51 PM
I really should not have explained why I needed this advice.

Erik
03-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Says you.

orionz06
03-18-2013, 03:57 PM

Had you not explained I would have just thought you were gonna wear it with a green man suit.

And the more I think about it I do not believe there is any other choice than to acquire a green man suit and wear it.

For the children.

http://sharkspage.com/jpgs7/green_men2.jpg

Clyde from Carolina
03-18-2013, 05:43 PM
I feel your pain. My wife is also, ahem, a fan of the shoulder rig. :D

Like others here, I have the obligatory Miami Classics stashed for driving and such, but for COOL shoulder holsters, we have to look no further than the original King of Cool hisself, the late, great Steve McQueen. (Lest we forget, Archer did not invent the Tactical Turtleneck.)

(Don Johnson, eat your heart out.)

http://www.fototime.com/B7381C511DACAAA/standard.jpg

I bought mine as new old stock, new in the wrapper, on one of the forums. It is an old S&W brand job, but several different brands/makes are around in these old upside down shoulder holsters. I think the Bianchi was the 9R? McQueen used a Diamondback, IIRC, in the movie; my rig holds my old 50s Cobra perfectly. Nice and snug. Since the photos were taken I've replaced the Secret Service grips on the Cobra with some nice original checkered Colt grips. If you're going to be cool, be COOL, man. :cool:

http://www.fototime.com/4149255366DDDCC/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/072083B8DF0A657/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A53F5A00D61FB24/standard.jpg

Maple Syrup Actual
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Had you not explained I would have just thought you were gonna wear it with a green man suit.

And the more I think about it I do not believe there is any other choice than to acquire a green man suit and wear it.

For the children.

http://sharkspage.com/jpgs7/green_men2.jpg

Those guys are like national heroes here...I was going to offer to get a green man suit and go to a game in it while wearing the holster but then I thought...man...wouldn't I be doing the hockey equivalent of a stolen valor kind of deal?

I feel your pain. My wife is also, ahem, a fan of the shoulder rig. :D

Like others here, I have the obligatory Miami Classics stashed for driving and such, but for COOL shoulder holsters, we have to look no further than the original King of Cool hisself, the late, great Steve McQueen. (Lest we forget, Archer did not invent the Tactical Turtleneck.)

(Don Johnson, eat your heart out.)

http://www.fototime.com/B7381C511DACAAA/standard.jpg

I bought mine as new old stock, new in the wrapper, on one of the forums. It is an old S&W brand job, but several different brands/makes are around in these old upside down shoulder holsters. I think the Bianchi was the 9R? McQueen used a Diamondback, IIRC, in the movie; my rig holds my old 50s Cobra perfectly. Nice and snug. Since the photos were taken I've replaced the Secret Service grips on the Cobra with some nice original checkered Colt grips. If you're going to be cool, be COOL, man. :cool:

http://www.fototime.com/4149255366DDDCC/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/072083B8DF0A657/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A53F5A00D61FB24/standard.jpg

Hey...that IS cool.

JAD
03-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Hey...that IS cool.

I mean, ddamn, dude. That is how you /roll/.

So far as I know (I have yet to see a Ralston) the nicest holsters available come from Andy Aratoonian. I have a truly useless 1911 holster from him, since he refuses to mold the safety in the locked position -- but damn is it a *nice* useless holster. The smell is divine -- if someone would do me a Aratoonian cologne I'd bathe in it -- and the boning and stiffness is remarkable. If I was buying a holster for 'show' purposes, and it wasn't going to be a tooled deal like from Purdy Leather, it'd be a 'Toon.
http://www.holsters.org/shoulder-holster.htm

TCinVA
03-18-2013, 07:36 PM

Just now figuring that out?

Maple Syrup Actual
03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I mean, ddamn, dude. That is how you /roll/.

So far as I know (I have yet to see a Ralston) the nicest holsters available come from Andy Aratoonian. I have a truly useless 1911 holster from him, since he refuses to mold the safety in the locked position -- but damn is it a *nice* useless holster. The smell is divine -- if someone would do me a Aratoonian cologne I'd bathe in it -- and the boning and stiffness is remarkable. If I was buying a holster for 'show' purposes, and it wasn't going to be a tooled deal like from Purdy Leather, it'd be a 'Toon.
http://www.holsters.org/shoulder-holster.htm

Man, those are some seriously nice holsters but equally seriously: what is his issue with safeties?

Won't mold the safety to ON on your piece.

Won't do 1911 shoulder holsters in anything but "hammer down".

I mean hammer down carry? On a 1911? Man, I don't care if this is basically a show piece...that is a bridge too far for this cat.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
HOLD

THE

PHONE.

http://5shotleather.com/design/assets/shoulder.JPG

There is a 5shot SHOULDER HOLSTER?

I have deep, deep fears about the budgetary implications of such a device. I am now basically praying for a prohibitively long waitlist so I can't justify looking in to this any further.

orionz06
03-18-2013, 08:01 PM
http://actionfiguretherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/AFT-Ranger-Problem-Solved-Olive-White-Sticker-300.jpg

JAD
03-18-2013, 11:08 PM

Yeah, I don't get it, and sucks for me because I pretty much just run single actions. Those of you with modern pistols may enjoy your fine skinz from the paranoid Brit.

LHS
03-19-2013, 02:46 AM
http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-47-9-doc-holiday-holster.aspx

Duh. Uhbviously.

It don't get much more manly than Doc.

TCinVA
03-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Man, those are some seriously nice holsters but equally seriously: what is his issue with safeties?

Won't mold the safety to ON on your piece.

I mean hammer down carry? On a 1911? Man, I don't care if this is basically a show piece...that is a bridge too far for this cat.

I've interacted with lots of very pleasant, wonderful, accommodating, and sensible holster makers. I've also noticed that there seems to be a number of holster makers that are...well...nuts.

LOKNLOD
03-19-2013, 07:29 AM
and the boning and stiffness is remarkable.

Phrasing!

OTOH, sounds like it would be perfect for misanthropist's purposes...

SouthNarc
03-19-2013, 07:55 AM
misanthropist you need an exotic leather that prefereably matches a pair of monkstraps. Croc, gator, something like that. OR....match it to a pair of python boots. Somewhere between Nucky Thompson and 80s cocaine smuggler I think.

Bitchin' thread dude as always!

Tamara
03-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Best. P-F.com thread. Ever.

orionz06
03-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Best. P-F.com thread. Ever.

Tier One thread.

NickA
03-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Tier One thread.

If it gets merged with TC talking about his yellow speedo and baby oil in the "when to carry" thread, the interwebs might asplode.
In fact, maybe we need a whole new thread on "Carrying in the COE (Clothing Optional Environment)".

TCinVA
03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Nothing says sophistication like a yellow speedo, some chaps, some baby oil, and a fine shoulder holster made from the skin of some exotic critter...preferably one from the endangered species list.

I mean, when a dude in that getup pulls a custom 1911 from an exquisitely crafted holster made from California Condor, a bad guy is going to know he's messing with the wrong hombre.

David Armstrong
03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
I'd seriously consider going with a vertical version of the Galco, rather than the horizontal holster, even if you don't plan to use the holster for much serious work.
This. Unlike some, I've actually worn and used a shoulder rig for extensive periods of time and I found the vertical carry to be much more secure and comfortable than the horizontal. My personal favorite was/is the Bianchi X15 model. Don't know how that rates in the "hot visual picture" mode for your purposes, but sheer usability.....

Dan_S
03-19-2013, 10:51 AM
This. Unlike some, I've actually worn and used a shoulder rig for extensive periods of time and I found the vertical carry to be much more secure and comfortable than the horizontal. My personal favorite was/is the Bianchi X15 model. Don't know how that rates in the "hot visual picture" mode for your purposes, but sheer usability.....

Yup.

I guess losing a weapon due to poor choice in a holster tends to make a person a little more cautious when choosing holsters in the future. I know that I won't purchase another horizontal shoulder holster (a Miami Classic, at that) given my experience, limited as it is.

Not only that, but I never got how it was possible to conceal a pistol of any size with a horizontal holster. I'm pretty much the opposite of stocky in build, so that might be part of my problem, but even so... I can't conceal a J-frame in a horizontal rig even....

TCinVA
03-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Riding the horizontal rig perfectly horizontal was never practical, IMO. I always wore mine so that it had a significant cant.

Dan_S
03-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Riding the horizontal rig perfectly horizontal was never practical, IMO. I always wore mine so that it had a significant cant.

I've tried various adjustments, and nothing worked well for me...

Maybe I need to take a course that is specifically geared towards teaching how to use a shoulder holster while looking cool, like Don Johnson somehow managed to do....

:cool:

MDS
03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Maybe I need to take a course that is specifically geared towards teaching how to use a shoulder holster while looking cool, like Don Johnson somehow managed to do....

A class on tactical retakes?

NEPAKevin
03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the double vertical rig that Bruce Willis used in Last Man Standing. Apparently there are knock offs (http://idaho-leather.com/15.html) available. And this page (http://frontierleatherworks.com/COLT45SHOULDER.html) I found on google, has some other interesting options.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Well, I heard back from John Ralston and my thinking is that the funds I send him could be better used on more useful equipment...even though the shoulder holster on that site is just straight up sex, for me, literally. Also figuratively. And a one year wait would probably upset my wife at this point. She's kind of fixated on this thing at the moment.

I am maybe slightly leaning towards the "vertical" idea simply because the gun is a 1911, and the wearer is a little on the lean side (which is in itself a somewhat disturbing commentary on the size of the average individual these days, considering I'm over 200 pounds). On the other hand, a heavily canted rig like a jackass might actually conceal better - mocking up a 1911 in a leather holster in rough position (phrasing?) I think the butt of a vertical gun would actually be more obvious than a tight, canted gun. On a third hand...I really do not want to watch a nice 1911 drop straight on its carefully fitted beavertail if the retention strap spooks out for some reason. Anyway...

I did check in to the "handcuffs" question. Apparently the leather and the gun are 100% of the kick here, so handcuffs will not be necessary. I will say though that if I were a cop, man, that is exactly how I would roll, regardless of the consequences. And if somebody above me complained I would just explain that while they were my procedural superior, the holster would be their awesomeness superior, and since awesomeness is superior to procedure, my holster would technically outrank them, and as the owner I could continue wearing it.

And I'm fairly certain that's how police departments work so I assume that would be fine. In fact picturing the handcuffs, the mag pouch, and the holster all together makes me wonder...any openings for sheer badass motherfuckers at the local PD? I could offer dedication AND my own green man suit as a possible sweetener on the deal.

orionz06
03-19-2013, 07:52 PM
A bargain at twice the price. (http://begreenman.com/products/green-suit)

Maple Syrup Actual
03-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Do not tempt me. You are seriously risking the possibility of a photo series that YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UNSEE.

ST911
03-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Now somebody else is buying and the payoff is pretty good in terms of her taking to stockings and so on...this is a worthwhile trade. I mean really worthwhile, garter-belt-wise.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I've had good luck with the Miami Classic, Jackass, and Andrews Custom Leather Monarch. Sounds like you're going to have good luck with whatever. Bravo, sir. Please keep us posted on your project.

Gary1911A1
03-20-2013, 10:16 AM
One good thing about the handcuff case being on the same side as spare magazines is it helps to balance the rig out.

HoffACDC
03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Ah, here is my take. I often carry a 1911 in a Miami Classic I/II/Jackass Hybrid with a offside double mag pouch and a set of steel cuffs. A few thoughts:

1) I think it literally makes my manhood "pop" when I put it on, and my pants feel tighter
2) Flexing my lats makes me also feel twice as sexy as I would when I have on a pedestrian "belt" holster (excepting a crossdraw. Those are badass)
3) I have literally been laughed almost out of my office when I removed my coat one day to expose my pure sex rig (most guys I work with keep their little baby Glocks in their purses or on their ankles)
4) My wife, who is a cop, was not immediately struck by my sex appeal in the manner I thought was appropriate for my rig when I showed it to her

The best shoulder rig is the Survival Sheath, but they are easy to order and hard to actually receive. I have owned three and dearly love them, but the sex appeal is in the leather. I bought my MCII in parts and pieces off ebay and probably paid $65 for the whole thing, to include the wide straps, which are key.

In all seriousness, the whole rig being one unit makes sense when I run to grab milk (by that I mean beer) at the stop'n'rob or am in workout clothes but need to go interact briefly with the public. I have my gun, my spare mags, and either a flashlight (My E2D Defender on my SS) or cuffs (my MC2) in one package. A Spyderco and a small Surefire or Pelican light in the waistband and I'm about as prepared as I am when I'm at work. Plus I feel a little Don Johnson and a little James Bond every time.

Slavex
03-21-2013, 08:33 PM
I can confirm that this a worthwhile trade, so long as the rest of benefit lol. I fully expect you and the Mrs to attend S&D properly attired. You can have position 1 on the line.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-21-2013, 08:43 PM
I will totally do that.

Erin may wear enough that the garters won't be directly visible, though.

Edit: MAY. Possibly not, you never really know.

Slavex
03-22-2013, 02:38 AM
Knowing you guys, anything goes.

ffhounddog
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
You guys are making me think of getting another Shoulder Holster.

http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/galco-executive-shoulder-holster Later James Bond Style or leather in Legends to be more 1960s 1970s Bond http://www.legendsinleather.com/mi6_mkii.html

MDS
03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
This thread, combined with the fact that I'm moving to, ah, less tropical climes, is starting to make me sorry I have only two shoulders...

Dan_S
03-22-2013, 12:01 PM
This thread, combined with the fact that I'm moving to, ah, less tropical climes, is starting to make me sorry I have only two shoulders...

Not sure exactly what you are saying, but if you are indicating a desire to use a shoulder holster for practical everyday purposes, I would recommend against that.

While working in the woodlands of the northeast in the most inclement of weather, I soon discovered that shoulder holsters were over-rated.

As far as I can tell there is only one benefit of the shoulder holster while wearing heavy cover layers (jackets, etc) and that is ease of accessibility from the top of the coat (i.e., unzip your jacket and unholster the weapon without removing the covering layers) but that doesn't work all that well if you are wearing more than one cover layer, so then you have absolutely no benefit that I can see, and several downsides.

I don't know exactly how I'd carry in extremely cold climates now - a horizontal shoulder holster is out for sure, and carrying on the hip is a royal pain with heavy layering. Fortunately now I don't really need to worry about that, but I'll still try to experiment at some point to figure out what works well for me.

MDS
03-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Not sure exactly what you are saying, but if you are indicating a desire to use a shoulder holster for practical everyday purposes, I would recommend against that.

I appreciate the advice! I'm just saying that for pure sex appeal, it's a damn shame I can't wear two shoulder holsters at the same time. I know what you're thinking, and I can only answer by paraphrasing that great philosopher: the kind of chick who would marry a dude like me, would.

I have a shaggy, a keeper, an sme, a jrc and a dsg for aiwb, plus some great options from Milt Sparks, jrc, and raven for strong and weak side carry, including tucked and "special needs" - my practical everyday purposes are well supplied. =) Ask me if I still feel that way after my first winter in Colorado...

NEPAKevin
03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
NAs far as I can tell there is only one benefit of the shoulder holster while wearing heavy cover layers (jackets, etc) and that is ease of accessibility from the top of the coat

Shoulder holsters are an option for when a belt is not practical. I forget if it was in one of his books or a magazine article, but Massad Ayoob commented that in the TV series Barney Miller, Fish, the character played by Abe Vigoda was always going to the bathroom so while all the others had belt holsters, it was appropriate that he used a shoulder holster.

Erik
03-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Call me crazy, but this thread has me thinking about a shoulder holster for the other kind of bump in the night-type use.

Dan_S
03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Shoulder holsters are an option for when a belt is not practical. I forget if it was in one of his books or a magazine article, but Massad Ayoob commented that in the TV series Barney Miller, Fish, the character played by Abe Vigoda was always going to the bathroom so while all the others had belt holsters, it was appropriate that he used a shoulder holster.

Yes, dear old Massad Ayoob.... The former part-time officer of a small town near where I lived... :rolleyes:

OK, that I have that out of the way...

I already covered the bit about the shoulder holster's positive attribute being that accessibility to the gun when carry on a belt is not practical. That isn't enough of a benefit to me to justify the numerous downsides of a horizontal rig. In hot weather, when I don't feel like wearing a belt the concealability of the horizontal rig comes into play.
In cold weather, while wearing heavy layers, and a belt holster is very impractical, the shoulder holster isn't great, because drawing the gun becomes a major hurdle. Trust me - walking around in a snowstorm with your jacket unzipped, and other layers unbuttoned so you have have access to your pistol isn't pleasant, but it's that or literally taking ten or fifteen seconds to rip off your gloves, unzip your layers of coats, and then finally be able to draw.

Basically, unless you are wearing an open-front cover jacket, a shoulder holster of the horizontal variety is nearly useless in my experience.

JDM
03-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Yes, dear old Massad Ayoob.... The former part-time officer of a small town near where I lived... :rolleyes:

OK, that I have that out of the way...

Perhaps this is just my youth talking and I don't know anything, but I'm pretty sure Ayoob's experience, knowledge, and far reaching contributions to all forms of modern pistol craft deserve a bit more respect than an Internet eye roll.

He also teaches as good a shoulder holster draw as we are likely to see.

Or something. I'm a little out of my lane talking about someone like him.

JSGlock34
03-22-2013, 10:22 PM

Exactly. I don't think Don Johnson wore a single belt in five seasons of Miami Vice...even at the range, no belt.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/d/df/MV-BRE10-10.jpg/600px-MV-BRE10-10.jpg

Chuck Whitlock
03-22-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure about lead times, but Sam Andrews has some nice shoulder rigs:

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

Maple Syrup Actual
03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Well, after much internal debate, I ended up ordering an Alessi bodyguard. This decision was difficult, and ended up hinging mainly on two factors:

1) on googling "Alessi bodyguard" you get a lot of hits from people talking about how while the Miami classic is the obvious choice, the AB is a big step up;

2) I showed a bunch of pictures to my wife and she clearly found the AB most...appealing.

So the big question now is really the one raised by SouthNarc. Will it go with my monk straps? Because - and SN, you'll be happy to hear this - I did buy a pair of monk strap Fluevogs a few month back.

You know how people say "ECQC changed my whole defensive outlook?" Ha! That's just scratching the surface of what ECQC teaches you:

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/7d748e6e854af6ede37fb430be91795b_zps5d0a48a1.jpg

Brown with some pretty deep red hues in there...but hopefully dark enough to make it with a black shoulder holster. Why black? The contrast against my various shirts is going to look better, I think. I may take a red polish to it to bring out some notes that work with the monk straps, and of course it will work with my black and white wing tips. But the monk straps...well, anyway, we'll see when it gets here. I am DEFINITELY doing some training nights in it though.

Actually, given available placement on lane 1, and an indulgent and switched-on instructor (Rob Engh), I'm wondering just how much better a shoulder holster might be than it usually gets credit for. Really, really looking forward to finding out.

orionz06
03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Oxblood shoulder holster...

Slavex
03-27-2013, 02:22 AM
those Flues aren't pointy enough, now you're making me dig through my closet to get mine out. Need new taps on em though. maybe some minor repairs. Damn, then I gotta grow the hair back out and buy some gel and hairspray, oh and the pants, hmmmm which era should I go for the pants?????????

Maple Syrup Actual
03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
I know the stab-toed shoes you're talking about and man, if I tried to wear those in a meeting with some of the rather straight individuals I deal with, I would never get in the door.

I had the founder of a fairly large military contractor give me a lot of guff about my wingtips a couple of months back. And they're just black and white wingtips. He thought the white was too flashy.

No, I like the conservative fluevogs. But then I was never a dancer on Electric Circus.

SouthNarc
03-27-2013, 08:55 AM
I had the founder of a fairly large military contractor give me a lot of guff about my wingtips a couple of months back.

Yeah if I'm actually trying to get something done business wise with a new contact I usually wear a pair of black Edward Green Chelsea balmoral stitch caps on the 888 last. No brouging at all, but elegant and modern. The Fred Astaire shoe.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-27-2013, 09:15 AM
That was my strategy with the above monk straps...but I had to meet the guy every day for four straight days. Jesus christ, I can only pack so many shoes and ties. If we'd had one more meeting I would have had to mug somebody for a diagonal stripe in muted red and blue or something.

TGS
03-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Geez, Southnarc. Did you just write something in English? :p

I went in for a job interview the other week. I wore a black with thin pin stripe Geoffrey Bean suit with a white medium spread Donald Trump cotton shirt and charcoal Donald Trump silk tie (plain windsor knot). Also wore a simple stainless tie-clip and some square toe black Bostonian shoes. Overall, some bold presence with the charcoal/black pinstripe/white combo, but nothing crazy or high quality fashionista: all in all, maybe a $400 outfit including tax. At the end of the interview, they thanked me for coming in.....and then jokingly thanked me for wearing a suit. Apparently they had a dude come in wearing a blazer, and jeans tucked into hunting boots, and they were so happy that I wore a suit. That I know the basics of how to wear a suit probably sent them over the edge......I mean, hey, they gave me the job.....so that's my take on it!

But, whatever you wrote.....I haven't a clue. I just like the pics/guides you put up on TPI.

PT Doc
03-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah if I'm actually trying to get something done business wise with a new contact I usually wear a pair of black Edward Green Chelsea balmoral stitch caps on the 888 last. No brouging at all, but elegant and modern. The Fred Astaire shoe.

I have a pair of Stacy Adams Gators that sound just like what you described. :p

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Dan_S
03-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Apparently they had a dude come in wearing a blazer, and jeans tucked into hunting boots, and they were so happy that I wore a suit.

Hey, wait.... I didn't think I'd applied for that job....

Actually, no...That couldn't have been me, since I wear a hooded sweatshirt, Carhartts, and Danner RAT boots... ;)

SouthNarc
03-27-2013, 10:53 AM
That was my strategy with the above monk straps...

Even monks can raise an eyebrow in a conservative environment. If I can't gauge the client I generally play old school London CBD rules "no brown in town" etc. After that then I'll get more....flamboyant.

I went in for a job interview the other week. I wore a black with thin pin stripe Geoffrey Bean suit with a white medium spread Donald Trump cotton shirt and charcoal Donald Trump silk tie (plain windsor knot). Also wore a simple stainless tie-clip and some square toe black Bostonian shoes. Overall, some bold presence with the charcoal/black pinstripe/white combo, but nothing crazy or high quality fashionista: all in all, maybe a $400 outfit including tax. At the end of the interview, they thanked me for coming in.....and then jokingly thanked me for wearing a suit. Apparently they had a dude come in wearing a blazer, and jeans tucked into hunting boots, and they were so happy that I wore a suit. That I know the basics of how to wear a suit probably sent them over the edge......I mean, hey, they gave me the job.....so that's my take on it!

And the fact that you displayed care and attention to detail won the day dude. Well done!

I have a pair of Stacy Adams Gators that sound just like what you described

Keepin' that pimp hand strong I see! AND...on a budget no less!:D

Wendell
03-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Let Dermot Mulroney teach you a trick. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eU3RelyIg0w#t=584s)

Drang
03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
I would have SWORN this was a gun board...

da6dspanburg
03-28-2013, 06:22 AM

But you still have to look good...........

orionz06
03-28-2013, 06:52 AM

You think this is bad?

TCinVA
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM

We're multi-faceted here at PF.com. We take the gun stuff seriously, but don't take ourselves too seriously. We'll leave that niche to others who can't crack a smile for fear it will damage their TACTICAL!

While some fun is being had, there's actually a very good point in some of this discussion about dress. A well dressed, neatly groomed man instantly has more credibility than somebody dressed in 5.11 from head to toe. He's treated very differently than the average joe, even by some of the bad guys. There was a reason why styles of dress were carefully controlled in many feudal societies, as the nobles didn't like the idea of a wealthy commoner merchant looking too much like the important people.

Exploiting this built-in aspect of human psychology for our benefit is A-OK in my book. It's why I was rather glad to see SouthNarc on TV talking about personal safety. He's in shape, was wearing a nicely tailored suit, and was using clear language without a bunch of useless "tactical" buzzwords...and as a result probably had a far more positive impact on the audience than somebody covered in morale patches talking about dynamic critical whatever.

orionz06
03-28-2013, 09:18 AM
We're multi-faceted here at PF.com. We take the gun stuff seriously, but don't take ourselves too seriously. We'll leave that niche to others who can't crack a smile for fear it will damage their TACTICAL!

While some fun is being had, there's actually a very good point in some of this discussion about dress. A well dressed, neatly groomed man instantly has more credibility than somebody dressed in 5.11 from head to toe. He's treated very differently than the average joe, even by some of the bad guys. There was a reason why styles of dress were carefully controlled in many feudal societies, as the nobles didn't like the idea of a wealthy commoner merchant looking too much like the important people.

Exploiting this built-in aspect of human psychology for our benefit is A-OK in my book. It's why I was rather glad to see SouthNarc on TV talking about personal safety. He's in shape, was wearing a nicely tailored suit, and was using clear language without a bunch of useless "tactical" buzzwords...and as a result probably had a far more positive impact on the audience than somebody covered in morale patches talking about dynamic critical whatever.

The amount of control ones dress potentially has over those around you is astounding.

JAD
03-28-2013, 09:30 AM
While I love a good pair of shoes, I recently gained quite a bit of stainless in my lower leg because of the combination of a smooth leather sole, a 12" patch of ice, and a 10 degree slope. Grip is good.

David Armstrong
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Perhaps this is just my youth talking and I don't know anything, but I'm pretty sure Ayoob's experience, knowledge, and far reaching contributions to all forms of modern pistol craft deserve a bit more respect than an Internet eye roll.

He also teaches as good a shoulder holster draw as we are likely to see.

Or something. I'm a little out of my lane talking about someone like him.
+1. It has become fashionable to downplay Mas and some of the other trainers of that time period but let's recognize that they were breaking ground on a whole new world of firearms training and officer survival. Some did it as full-time officers, some as part-time, some never wore a badge, but they provided (and in some cases still provide) a different way of looking at firearms and fighting with guns.

Tamara
03-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Exactly. I don't think Don Johnson wore a single belt in five seasons of Miami Vice...even at the range, no belt.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/d/df/MV-BRE10-10.jpg/600px-MV-BRE10-10.jpg

You can tell it's a Bren Ten because no magazine, either.

BaiHu
03-28-2013, 11:08 AM

Can you post that video?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

NickA
03-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Can you post that video?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Here you go :

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/video/8445144-expert-tips-to-stay-safe-while-running-alone/

BaiHu
03-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Here you go :

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/video/8445144-expert-tips-to-stay-safe-while-running-alone/

Thanks for passing it along.

Well done, Craig, if only this type of conversation was allowed during the education process, but they're too busy pulling 'dodgeball', hugs and signs of subjectivity out of the curriculum.

And to round this thread out, cuz I don't recall seeing this on this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_EFdod4YDo

SLG
06-25-2016, 07:10 AM
Major bump.

No pics of the Alessi? Did you get it? ;-)

rob_s
06-25-2016, 07:52 AM
Vertical holster, horizontal mag pouch FTW

El Cid
06-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Nice find SLG! Like many I have a Miami Classic in the old bag of holsters but it's for a 1911 and I carry Glocks now. Always thought I'd get an Andrews Monarch or Alessi BG, but now I keep a weapon light on my blaster 24/7. Found a guy (Coffman Concealment) who made exactly what I wanted for me. Went the 2 gun path for balance and to keep reloads in the same spot on my belt. Limited use of course but as the OP has discovered - my better half does find it exciting in non-tactical environments too. Lol!

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0278_1_zps37bdafdb.jpg
And the straps are from a Miami Classic. Haha!

Maple Syrup Actual
06-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Major bump.

No pics of the Alessi? Did you get it? ;-)

I did and it was totally worth it. I'll get P-F appropriate photos later on.

Maple Syrup Actual
06-25-2016, 09:44 PM
Okay, behold.

This is how you wear it if you want to try to get some kind of practical use out of the thing:

http://imgur.com/uk73vJv.jpg

http://imgur.com/he4ybHp.jpg

http://imgur.com/0NTQI1Y.jpg

Yeah, actually if you throw a shirt on over it, it's pretty invisible which is cool. Obviously none of the other issues have gone anywhere, like how it's actually more conveniently presented for someone else to grab than for the wearer. Or how by reaching across my own chest I totally set myself up for having my draw fouled or worse, my arm trapped by anyone with a bit of experience grappling.

But let's get real here...how do you get yourself LAID with one?

Dead simple.

http://imgur.com/KGgYh6k.jpg

I basically needed both 1911s and the shotgun to keep Erin from tearing off my pants. Suck it, modernity. 1980s proto-tactical forever.

http://i.imgur.com/owCQ86Y.jpg

Also I call the last pictures (and several others which are basically detail shots from different angles, taken by Erin as I sat there, Marlboro Manning the fuck out of reality) "Normal behaviour from an average, well-adjusted Canadian".

Boots are Ariat Heritage Roughriders
1911s are a Baer UTC and a custom Colt/Wilson on a Norinco frame
Shotgun is a Valtro PM5
Optic is a Shield PSD
AIWB is a Blackhawk CQC - I don't really recommend it but it's manageable. No good tuck though.
Mags are all Wilson ETMs
Aviators are actually safety glasses for when I want to wear aviators to the range
Watch is a Citizen Calibre 2100
Bracelet is a Leatherman Tread
Belt is a Volund Gearworks
Knife is of course a Clinch Pick
Clinch Pick is in a sheath from Dark Star Gear
Mag pouch is a Mitch Rosen double
Sap, if it's visible anywhere, is a Foster Impact Devices
Jeans are 501s IIRC
Cigarillo is a Maker's Mark something or other
Tattoos are remnants of my late teens and early twenties

I think that about covers it. I know I'm never going to be a really world-class shooter...I'm pretty much just trying to nail the image.

El Cid
06-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Yeah, actually if you throw a shirt on over it, it's pretty invisible which is cool.

Hilariously awesome post! A trick I've used successfully is to button up and tuck in the shirt. Works great for environments where a jacket or unbuttoned shirt won't do. If you need it in a hurry, just "superman" the shirt.

SLG
06-25-2016, 09:54 PM
An often overlooked advantage of shoulder holsters is the ability to go all 21 Jump Street, for those times when Crockett is too old for your woman.

BehindBlueI's
06-26-2016, 06:48 AM
When drawing a hammer fired gun from a shoulder holster, at least a vertical shoulder holster, do not remain *too* close to your chest to avoid entangling with your cover garment. The hammer can dig in your skin and you can damn near de-nipple yourself.

So I heard. Once. From someone that wasn't me.

Maple Syrup Actual
06-26-2016, 10:11 AM
Boy, that'd be a moment you'd be wishing you hadn't sprung for the expensive billet hammer with perfectly machined serrations.

A nice cheap MIM with blunted, indistinct ridges would probably seem pretty great right about then.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

SLG
06-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Are those pics of you? I always pictured you a little differently. Maybe it's the lack of a ball gag...;-)

Seriously though, you look like a fairly big guy. With that facial hair, if you hit the weights, you'll end up looking like Wolverine, which I find works much better on the ladies, though that doesn't seem like an issue here. :-)

Also, for a man of your style, the g hook belt seems out of place. No leather?

remember, opinions are like...

As is unsolicited advice.

Hambo
06-26-2016, 11:25 AM
I know I'm never going to be a really world-class shooter...I'm pretty much just trying to nail the image.

Word.

Maple Syrup Actual
06-26-2016, 11:26 AM
Yeah, that's what I look like...I used to lift a lot more but I've been so busy with work/two homes/trying to finish a book/trying to finish another book/etc/etc/etc that I pretty much quit in about November. I'm not hard core on it or anything (as you can see), but I'm generally a 225/315/405 bench/squat/dead guy. I'd really like to get back to it because I'm frankly I'm getting fat and weak and if I wasn't pretty tall it'd be obvious.

If I get REALLY busy and don't cut my hair for a couple of months I get a lot of Wolverine jokes, actually.

Totally agree on the belt. I should really rock something in horsehide but I just didn't have anything handy, and aside from the setup picture, that's really actually what I look like. I was just wearing normal stuff for me and threw on a humourous amount of old guns and asked Erin to shoot a few pics.

Except I smoke about twice a year and only did it to look cool. Which works for teenagers, so why not me?

But seriously, your point about the belt is well taken (as is your point about getting back on the weights). The G-hook has been super practical and I get away with it because I usually have a t-shirt to cover it for a whole bunch of reasons. But you're right. With the John McClane sport coat there, it should really be leather.

Duelist
06-26-2016, 06:27 PM
I know I'm never going to be a really world-class shooter...I'm pretty much just trying to nail the image.

What a hilarious thread. And this quote... Totally sig-worthy.