PDA

View Full Version : When Godzilla Breaks...

JM Campbell
03-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Small issue...heater core leak...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/guru9u7a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/5yvusedu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/u4atevug.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/herurahu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/vuna6y2y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/15/9esuma7a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

TCinVA
03-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Hoe-lee-****CENSORED***.

Erik
03-15-2013, 09:43 AM
So the extended warranty is a good idea...

JV_
03-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Definitely not a car to own outside of a warranty....

Cookie Monster
03-15-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm no car mechanic but have helped a friend replaced a heater core in his truck. I never knew vehicles were held together by so many bolts, screws, and other stuff. By the time we we were done and 8 hardware/auto part store runs later we had easily doubled our collection of socket extensions, swivels, and adapters. And yes, we had parts left over when we were done.

Good luck,
Cookie Monster

JM Campbell
03-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Yep...warranty is a must to say the least.....$900 differential oil....got to have money to own it.

orionz06
03-15-2013, 10:38 AM
That's why you buy 'Murican!

JM Campbell
03-15-2013, 10:41 AM

LOL! I failed with my new VW!

jon volk
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Heated vehicle interior in Texas? Now Ive heard it all!

hufnagel
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
I'd rather rebuild an engine than replace a heater core... and I've done both twice.

SecondsCount
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
I wonder if there is a supplier of bad heater cores out there because I saw similar pictures of a BMW recently.

Years ago I had to replace the core on a 1985 Grand Am and that was not fun.

On my 1968 GTO, I have had to replace it once. It involves removing the hood, passenger fender, and small a cover. I think I found it easier than the Grand Am.

tremiles
03-15-2013, 12:55 PM
It's regular maintenance things that are purposefully made difficult that I hate. The back plugs on my Camaro are a PITA. I've nick-named the job "the bleeder". It's not the terrible access that's annoying, but the open box of razors that the Canadian Auto Workers Union left behind in the engine bay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

hufnagel
03-15-2013, 01:26 PM
I still get looks when I go in to look at cars and the first things I look at are...
oil filter location
drain plug location
dipstick locations
oil cap location
spark plug access
all the fluids

bdcheung
03-15-2013, 01:44 PM
I still get looks when I go in to look at cars and the first things I look at are...
oil filter location
drain plug location
dipstick locations
oil cap location
spark plug access
all the fluids

This is also the first thing I look for. Nothing irks me more than the trend for auto makers to produce cars that are increasingly difficult for owners to service.

On the Nissan Versa, you have to remove the intake manifold to change the spark plugs. :confused:

TCinVA
03-15-2013, 06:02 PM
That's nothing. Apparently to put power steering fluid in a Porsche Boxster of older vintage you have to remove the convertible top and several other bits. To check a fluid.

orionz06
03-15-2013, 06:23 PM
The engineer in me asks how in the hell do you expect them to build the cars. The mechanic in me was OK with the labor.

hufnagel
03-15-2013, 07:46 PM
This is also the first thing I look for. Nothing irks me more than the trend for auto makers to produce cars that are increasingly difficult for owners to service.

On the Nissan Versa, you have to remove the intake manifold to change the spark plugs. :confused:

my mom's PT cruiser is like that. luckily it's only 5 bolts to seperate the upper and lower manifold halves, and a bungee cord will hold the upper half out of the way, leaving enough room to remove the wires and plugs. it's an annoyance, but it only costs me maybe 5 minutes total out of a normal spark plug change on that engine type ( I have a not-a-neon also.)

the thing I'm NOT looking forward to do on her car is the timing belt and water pump... which is due this year. Colorful Language will probably abound.

Odin Bravo One
03-15-2013, 11:06 PM

Indeed.

I even managed to talk the new missus into getting rid of her Beemer so we could upgrade to a 2012 Tahoe. Makes me proud to see a nice wholesome American woman driving her children around in a good 'ol 'Merican automobile. And I'm even doing my part for the environment, since it is "Flex fuel" compatible, and where I buy it, it is a good $.20 per gallon cheaper than the lowest grade gasoline. And to be sure I am doing my part, I use a lot of that "Flex fuel"........at a whopping 14 miles per gallon.

But I got the extended warranty so hopefully I don't have to show a picture of what I assume was once a car...........

TCinVA
03-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Indeed.
at a whopping 14 miles per gallon.

I think all of liberalism can be summed up by the phrase: "It's the thought that counts."

We think "flex fuel" is "green", so therefore it is green. Just like we think government programs help poor people, or prevent old people from starving, etc. It's the thought that counts.

I just ditched my 'Murican vehicle (which was actually really made in Canada after borrowing heavily from designs in Germany and assembled from parts made all over the place) in favor of an import from Japan. Didn't want to, but owning a Chrysler is a bit like dating a stripper. It's not a question of if she's going to ruin your life, it's a matter of when.

The engineer in me asks how in the hell do you expect them to build the cars. The mechanic in me was OK with the labor.

Just my little opinion: When Nissan made the jump from being a maker of bargain-basement econoboxes to trying to make cars people weren't forced to buy, they seemed to adopt an engineering ethos of making things harder than they had to be. I've assisted with wrenching on a few later model Nissans and it's always been a huge pain. Perhaps some models are better than others in that respect, but it was enough to make me generally want to eschew anything made by Nissan save for perhaps a leaser.

The Germans...well...they're German. They'll do something because it is .0007% more efficient even though it will make the thing at least fifteen times harder to work on. It's ridiculous.

JV_
03-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Just my little opinion: When Nissan made the jump from being a maker of bargain-basement econoboxes to trying to make cars people weren't forced to buy, they seemed to adopt an engineering ethos of making things harder than they had to be. I've assisted with wrenching on a few later model Nissans and it's always been a huge pain. Perhaps some models are better than others in that respect, but it was enough to make me generally want to eschew anything made by Nissan save for perhaps a leaser.

My most reliable and trouble-free car was a 1989 Maxima (VG30E). I miss the Nissan from the early 90s. 268,000 miles and the motor seemed rock solid.

LOKNLOD
03-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Totally. I've got an '08 Tacoma and my buddy has a similar vintage Frontier. On paper, they're practically twins. Pop the hood, though, and I can see the top of both of my fenderwells in the Tacoma and you need to send a search team to locate the oil filter buried in the Frontier.

TCinVA
03-16-2013, 11:26 AM
My most reliable and trouble-free car was a 1989 Maxima (VG30E). I miss the Nissan from the early 90s. 268,000 miles and the motor seemed rock solid.

A friend of mine has one of the mid-sized SUV's of recent vintage and with a heck of a lot less miles on it than that it's falling apart one piece at a time. Ain't nobody got time fo 'dat!

Older Nissans were real rivals for the Hondas of the same period, IMO. Now not so much.

Erik
03-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Didn't want to, but owning a Chrysler is a bit like dating a stripper. It's not a question of if she's going to ruin your life, it's a matter of when.

But if you date a high output model with a few aftermarket improvements, you sure will enjoy the ride on the way. I view every dollar I spend on a car purchase above whatever it would cost me to buy a simple econo-box as as an entertainment expenditure. If all I really wanted to do was get from point A to point B, I could do it in something a hell of a lot cheaper and more efficient than my Trailblazer SS, but it sure wouldn't be fun.

JConn
03-16-2013, 12:17 PM

I had a 93 maxima that had 180k and was going strong. Probably would still have it but my brother wrecked it.... I loved that car though. Great engine and it never had problems.

hufnagel
03-16-2013, 03:14 PM
I really like my strippers then. :)

1986 Reliant wagon (5spd A525 trans! sold with 203k miles on it. still see it running around locally.)
1992 Dodge Shadow (5spd. still have it. 243k miles on it and still going)
1993 Plymouth Sundance (5spd. got ape raped by a semi one day. RIP)
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 (the track toy)
2003 Chrysler Sebring LXi (auto. wife's former car. was SO nice inside. suede/leather everything. too bad she rear-ended a school bus with its lights on! burned it to a crisp)
2005 Dodge Stratus (auto. wife's car)
2007 Jeep Liberty (6spd. v6. the tow monster)

When the Shadow dies I'm already planning on it's replacement... Dodge Dart.

Drang
03-16-2013, 04:24 PM
1896 Reliant wagon
:D

hufnagel
03-16-2013, 05:30 PM
stick shift too!

I personally put 2 clutches in it.
and an alternator
and 2 timing belts
and a water pump
and a head gasket (after the water pump puked. motor got a little warm.)
other than general maintenance parts that car ruled. the sheer quanitity of stuff you could pack in it and still get 40mpg doing 70 was just awesome. something about the combination of light weight, skinny 185 80 series tires, a massive overdrive gear and a 3.50 final drive. burying the speedo (85mph) in 3rd with still more to go in that gear alone was something to behold. I grew up in that car. I miss it. :(

TCinVA
03-16-2013, 05:34 PM
1992 Dodge Shadow (5spd. still have it. 243k miles on it and still going)
1993 Plymouth Sundance (5spd. got ape raped by a semi one day. RIP)

Those were both powered by Mitsubishi engines. The 2.5L motors in those things were quite durable. The only issue I really ever saw with the motor itself was a tendency to blow the head gasket. The automatic transmissions in those things, however, would grenade itself pretty regularly. By getting the 5 speeds you avoided the biggest source of problems with them. This is one of the reasons why I prefer a manual transmission. Assuming you know how to treat a clutch and the transmission itself isn't garbage, they tend to be the Energizer Bunny of the transmission world.

When the Shadow dies I'm already planning on it's replacement... Dodge Dart.

You're a braver man than I am. My family has been Mopar for at least three generations. About 25% of the cars/trucks bought have done well. The other 75% have ended in some form of disaster.

A Chrysler made by Fiat? No thank you.

Probably the most reliable car I've ever personally had anything to do with was a 1986 Toyota van. The only thing it ever needed done to it was replacing the clutch, and that was probably my fault because I learned how to drive stick using it.

hufnagel
03-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Those were both powered by Mitsubishi engines. The 2.5L motors in those things were quite durable. The only issue I really ever saw with the motor itself was a tendency to blow the head gasket. The automatic transmissions in those things, however, would grenade itself pretty regularly. By getting the 5 speeds you avoided the biggest source of problems with them. This is one of the reasons why I prefer a manual transmission. Assuming you know how to treat a clutch and the transmission itself isn't garbage, they tend to be the Energizer Bunny of the transmission world.

that's actually incorrect. the 2.2L and 2.5L engines (commonly known as Common Block motors) were styled after the old Slant 6 engine. the Mitsubishi engine you're thinking of is the 2.6L that was used when they couldn't make enough 2.2/2.5 motors... and it was a total chode of a motor. same with the 3.0L mitsu motor... junk from hell.

Head gaskets were a simple cause of overheating... and should be looked upon as a "relief valve" type of failure... in prevention of far bigger problems from overheating an iron block/aluminum head engine. Anyone who didn't know how to do the Slip-n-Slide in under 30 minutes while consuming a 6-pack didn't deserve to have any nice tools. :) Every head gasket failure I'd ever had (and I've had a couple) was always preceded by some failure of the cooling system (pump, radiator split hose from road debris, sudden loss of the heater core hose when I forgot to put the clamp on right... etc.) Same for everyone I've ever met.

the 3spd autos would fail because people/mechanics would put in the wrong fluid... thinking that "any ol' ATF of the time is fine!" uh uh... 7176/ATF-3 was the only service fill you should ever put in them. otherwise you'll burn out the converter and clutches with impressive speed. I agree though, gimme a stick any day (it took me a year to find a Jeep with one to buy.)

Tamara
03-16-2013, 08:55 PM
'99 Subaru Forester. 197k on the clock. $2500. (Too bad "Cash For Clunkers" shot the horse out from under the really cheap used car market; I did a fair amount of shopping around, but I couldn't find much of anything under $2k I'd trust for a 700 mile round-trip roadtrip...)

If I can get another three years out of it, I figure I'm money ahead.

Dan_S
03-16-2013, 10:58 PM
'99 Subaru Forester. 197k on the clock. $2500. (Too bad "Cash For Clunkers" shot the horse out from under the really cheap used car market; I did a fair amount of shopping around, but I couldn't find much of anything under $2k I'd trust for a 700 mile round-trip roadtrip...)

If I can get another three years out of it, I figure I'm money ahead.

Subarus are hard to beat. Aside from a couple issues (T-belts every 60k) and head gaskets at 100k or so (certain year-spans) and their affinity for sending off check engine light if you forget to tighten the gas cap....

:cool:

TommyG
03-17-2013, 08:19 AM
I have vowed that my next vehicle is going to be the cleanest FJ 60 Land Cruiser I can find, hand (re)built by me with a GM small block 350 and a turbo 350 or 400 tranny. Simple electronic ignition, carb for fuel delivery and easily user serviced for almost anything.

I too have had to do heater core repair/replace on a couple of late model trucks. I'd almost rather go without heat and let them spit coolant than do it again.

G60
03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
I had a VW Corrado that blew its heater core.

Figuring I live in the CA desert with no real need for heat (forecast is for high 70s all this week) I just decided to bypass it.