PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your Brass?

R.M.T.
03-13-2013, 02:56 PM
So I have between 15k and 20k of loose brass floating around my reloading space, and it has started to envelope the shop to a point that I can no longer take it. Most of it is .223, .308 and .45. And I don't really want to sell any of it. I am just looking for a way to store it effectively. Thanks in advance.

RMT

B.K.
03-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I have mine in big gallon sized zip lock freezer bags but I only have a fraction of the brass you have. If I had that much, I think I'd go with 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids. Like the ones you can buy at the front of Home Depot for a few bucks each. You can probabaly stack them up in a corner somehwere and they won't take too much room.

Odin Bravo One
03-13-2013, 03:10 PM
5 Gallon bucket would do great for effeciency of space, though I have found USGI Ammo cans to be the best all around ammunition storage containers. I store brass, bullets, primers, and live rounds in them.

Being airtight, they can withstand humidity, flooding, etc. The Home Depot bucket seals don't seal as well as when they were new after multiple openings and closings. Most ammo cans continue to seal fine decades after they were made.

JV_
03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
I use 5-gallon buckets.

R.M.T.
03-13-2013, 03:57 PM
I think I will go and get some 5 gallon buckets. Thanks for the replies.

Sean, I have a ton of 50 cal. cans but they are all used up in ammo right now, they used to be plentiful but as of now I can't seem to find any, kinda sucks.

TGS
03-13-2013, 04:25 PM
I think I will go and get some 5 gallon buckets. Thanks for the replies.

Sean, I have a ton of 50 cal. cans but they are all used up in ammo right now, they used to be plentiful but as of now I can't seem to find any, kinda sucks.

FWIW, if you stop by a bakery of some sort, you may be able to take their used buckets for free.

Dan_S
03-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Five gallon buckets?

Sounds like you need a trailer load of empty 55 gallon drums....

R.M.T.
03-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Well yea sometimes it does feel like I need 55 gallon drums, but in this case its like 12k 45 and the rest is 308 and other random stuff. I had a few 5 gallons laying around so I filled one up to the brim with just, my mil srup. 308 brass and I still have to put all of the commercial brass into another. For reference I use a cement mixer for all of my polishing needs. Fortunately I think due to the arid climate here I won't have to seal any of the buckets, the clutter is going away quickly. Thanks for the help

LOKNLOD
03-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Tidy Step, I think, kitty litter comes in neat squarish-shaped buckets that are made to be stackable.

SecondsCount
03-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Tidy Step, I think, kitty litter comes in neat squarish-shaped buckets that are made to be stackable.

This is primarily what we use. A neighbor has a cat and gives me the empties.

All the brass gets thrown into one and then subsorted into the others. When it is cleaned we place it in a empty plastic Folgers coffee container ready for reloading.

I do have 223 and 308 brass in ammo cans but I bought it that way.

Drang
03-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Several brands do, I was going to suggest looking up a neighbor or co-worker with cat or cats. Especially multiples.

Another use is, you can stack two full, unopened buckets and use as an improvised clearing barrel.

Odin Bravo One
03-13-2013, 07:58 PM
You could also try an advanced dive shop for SodaSorb or Sofnolime buckets. They come in the 5 gallon variety most of the time. Since humidity and flooding don't seem to be an issue, seems the 5 gal is the way to go.

Argus
03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
After outgrowing the gallon zip loc bags, I had planned on switching to 5 gallon buckets. But I found them to be a bit too big for the amount of brass that I have.

I ended up getting a few 15qt Hefty plastic storage bins and they work for me. They have locking lids, stack nicely, and for some reason my wife doesn't mind them in the closet, whereas she was not excited about having 5-gallon buckets in there. I may get some smaller ones for the calibers that I shoot less.

Doug
03-16-2013, 12:42 AM
I store mine in an airtight pet food container.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/16/sa6ubynu.jpg

They go up in size to about 66 qt.

They also have another type with screw on lids that are stackable.

Doug
03-16-2013, 12:43 AM
Ps the wheels won't make it under the weight.

Up1911Fan
03-16-2013, 09:43 AM
I use 5 gallon buckets as well.

fuse
03-18-2013, 07:27 AM
For reference I use a cement mixer for all of my polishing needs.

Achievement unlocked: reloading like a bauce