PDA

View Full Version : Mike Pannone 2-Day Covert Carry Class AAR – March 9-10, 2013 – Casa Grande, AZ

Pennzoil
03-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Mike Pannone 2-Day Covert Carry Class – March 9-10, 2013 – Casa Grande, AZ

Range: Casa Grande PD Range
This remains my favorite range to take classes at in Arizona. It is located far enough away from other bays that you can clearly hear instructors and don't have people unrelated to the class wondering around. The range is in good condition regardless of the weather with cement walkways and a large covered portion with tables. The instructors had plenty of study target stands and some steel targets available. No excessive unnecessary safety rules while not having to police brass at the end of the day.

Instructor: Mike Pannone
I think Mike Pannone is well known but in case you haven’t heard of him here is his background related to the course material listed in his class description.
This course is based upon training I received at 1st SFOD-D, provided to the Federal Air Marshal Service while I was the head range instructor at the FAMS school, the chief in-service instructor at the Seattle Field office of the FAMS, taught and used during protection operations in Iraq and refined for a course recently taught to high level SOF assets prior to high threat deployment.

Overview:
In this class I felt every round fired counted with no rounds being wasted. Mike runs an efficient class ensuring targets are pasted often and utilizing a shot timer on almost every drill. It amazed how much that shot timer was used without slowing down the class one bit. Depending on the drill Mike would either run the class all together calling out first and last shoot with par time beep, run in groups of 3 students using timer and finally running students individually. As a student you could actively track your performance during the class with the way Mike ran the drills, shoot timer, reduced size steel targets and paper targets with pasting. No time is wasted in this class you are learning the full day with little down time.

I think this class is for people who have a firm grasp on marksmanship fundamentals wanting to learn how to quickly engage targets from your preferred concealed carry position. Also for how your concealed carry equipment will perform under use while increasing your dexterity with your carry gun. If your marksmanship skills are lacking I think you are going to struggle in this class with aggressive time goals and A zone or better hits required.

The class entails 500 plus draws and 100 reloads from concealment. When I first heard those numbers I just thought of just sitting in front of a target mindlessly doing draws/reloads. This couldn’t be further from the truth in this class with the way Mike has the class set up. You are constantly adding components to drills, changing directions in movement, changing distance, switching weak hand, strong hand, etc. Time went by fast during the class and I felt the balance of enough repetitions to learn the skill at hand before becoming overly redundant was perfect. If Mike didn’t tell us this was the first open enrollment covert carry class I wouldn’t have ever known. To me it seemed he had been teaching this exact class for a while.

One thing I enjoyed about Mikes teaching technique is he ensured you understood why he recommends a certain technique and not to just do it because he says it’s the way to do it. One example from the class was a discussion around the best way to put as many rounds on multiple targets in the quickest time. Mike explained the why behind his technique then demonstrated it on the clock against an accomplished competition shooter that was in the class.

It’s important to note that while Mike encouraged us to push the limit regarding speed in drawing from concealment safety was a main priority and you have plenty of time to do a hard break after a drill then holster reluctantly. Being an AIWB person this is important to note. I thought Mike did a great job of ensuring a safe training environment while not slowing down the class.

TD1: Start Time 0800
Day one started off with lecture by Mike on different equipment options around carrying concealed regarding types of pistols, holsters, magazine carriers and different techniques of concealed carry including the pro’s and con’s of all these options.

The rest of the day was spent working on different individual components we would need for day 2 of the class. This involved working from 3-20 yards throughout the day. First was an accuracy warm up, working on two hand draw from concealment, strong hand only draw from concealment, weak hand only from concealment, reloading from concealment, reloading from concealment weak hand only and shooting while protecting someone like family member. All of this was completed while maintaining accuracy standards of IPSC A zone or better with aggressive time requirements. Almost all drills were based around 1.5 second draw from concealment.

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/872/666nu.png

Next came incorporating movement in different directions while drawing from concealment with two hands, strong hand or weak hand. Drills differed in round counts from 1-3 rounds shot.

After working on short movement drills while drawing from concealment timed. We worked into mental agility type drills with one example being walking normal with eyes in boat parallel to the targets. When Mike would randomly sound the timer buzzer you had to draw from concealment and address a target as quickly as possible while on the move.

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/2232/66666y.png

TD2 Start Time 0800
Training day two was spent putting the components we learned on day one together and to use. This included movement drills involving drawing from concealment also covering proper way to kneel or get to roll over prone. Mike discussed how to address multiple targets if you are unable to avoid threats through awareness or avoidance. Drills included movement around a crowd and having to draw and shoot a target through no shoot targets at the sound of the buzzer. Having to draw and shoot two targets with two rounds per target in 2 seconds and a number of different drills including reduced size steel targets and paper targets. At the end of the day we completed the navy covert carry qual.
http://imageshack.us/a/img805/9454/66666666666666666.png

My Gear used:
M&P 9mm FS with Thumb Safety
Kytex magazine holders
JM Custom AIWB holster extra tuck

Conclusion:
I almost didn’t take this class due to my left elbow getting infected in the actual joint and swelling up from a minor cut while hiking in the desert. Thanks to modern medicine and my wife telling me to sign up I didn’t miss out on a great class. Elbow ended up pretty much being a non-issue when compressed in an ace bandage. Only reason I mention this is because I decided not to take notes during the class trying to limit movement so AAR may seem light on specifics. I wasn’t going to write an AAR on this class but after going through it I think it may help some decide if it’s right for them with it being such a new offering.

This class was exactly what I need at this stage in my training and managed to cover a number of gaps in my training. This class also validated that a lot of my equipment choices and exposed a few gaps in my gun setup. Like other quality classes I’ve taken from other trainers I would recommend this class in a heartbeat if you want to improve concealed carry skills and I could see value in myself taking this class again.

The day after the class I went out to the desert like I do after all the classes I take to check for improvements on test drills I run. Do to the way the class was ran I already knew I improved my speed & accuracy while shooting on the move but was curious is the large number or low round count draws affect my grip at all. I ran 3 FAST drills with it being the first time cleaning all 3 attempts below 6 seconds. My largest improvement was in my draw/ first shoot I cut almost a half second with my reload time staying the same but my grip after the reload being greatly improved seeing the benefit in my final 4 shot splits. After that I just picked up my 18 casings and headed home.

Here is some more good reading regarding the class from another student in the class. (http://gmindsite.blogspot.com/)

Cheap Shot
03-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Outstanding AAR.

This class has been on my radar. Very much appreciate your effort

Thank you!

Pennzoil
03-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Your welcome! Glad I could help. For me it was $$ well spent.

Cecil Burch
03-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Nice AAR.

I am chuffed that I couldn't make the class. Chris L. rubbed it in on Monday by texting me details of how great the course was.

ST911
03-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks for posting, looks like a great course.

I searched for the "navy covert carry qual" but didn't find it here or via google. Can you (or someone else) detail it further or post in its entirety?

ChrisLapre
03-14-2013, 07:01 PM
The Navy Covert Carry Qual is not available to the public at this time. We shot a modified version of it with modified times so its not as RX'd.

You can try emailing Mike directly for a copy but don't be disappointed if he does not send a copy of it.

Chris

Pennzoil
03-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Yeah I should of put modified in front of that in the AAR. I didn't take notes during the class so all the drills blend together now to be honest.

Pennzoil
03-14-2013, 10:51 PM
couple of pictures from the class
http://imageshack.us/a/img12/1843/59726166.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img685/3079/92103730.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img401/9105/62270783.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/5303/65307634.jpg

AJZ
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
This class also validated that a lot of my equipment choices and exposed a few gaps in my gun setup

Could you elaborate on this?

Pennzoil
03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Could you elaborate on this?

I've used my carry gear in a few classes and this is the best I've felt about my setup to date. Everyone is different with different preferences but this is how I feel about my gear after the class.

The Good:

Magazine Pouch:
Kytex magazine simply rock. I've tried almost a dozen different magazine pouches for IWB/OWB with nothing coming close for my day to day needs regarding comfort, printing, shifting, retention, not hanging up on shirt and speed.learned about them here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4979-Kytex-mag-pouches&highlight=kytex)

Holster:
JM Thread post #184. (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3597-JM-Custom-Kydex-AIWB-holster-review/page19) One thing I forgot to mention is liking the magazine release not being covered for admin reloads durning class.

Belt:
I use a wilderness tactical frequent flyer just simply worked but I'm keeping my eye out for other options.

Gun:
M&P is my gun of choice for my wants/needs and I've finally learned to just stick with it after playing tasters choice with multiple different firearms. They aren't even close to perfect but are the best comprise for me regarding the pistols I've tried over the last couple of years. They just click for me.

Range Bag:
It's taken a number of classes but I think I've finally found a good balance for me on bringing enough items without over packing. Only miss was I removed kneepads from my bag and you really need them for parts of this class.

The Bad:

Thumb Safety:
I cut the right side of my thumb safety off to allow for Crimson Trace grips which appear to be too large for my hand size. The CT grips mess up my grip enough it costs me 2 seconds on the FAST drill. Also after the multiple weak hand only drills for me I want the ambidextrous safety. I can make the single sided safety work but it's not pretty, it's slow and increases my potential to drop the gun. On Day 2 I switched back to a ambidextrous thumb safety and was much happier.

Day 1 Mike P had suggestions on how to work around only having the thumb safety on the left side operating weak hand only which worked for me. Another thing I liked about this class is even if your gear isn't the way Mike would run it he doesn't get hung up on that. He just offers suggestions in how to make your gear work and will mention what he would recommend.

Sights:
I've been using U notched rear sights for awhile now and I'm ready to go back to square notch. When working at speed past 20 yards I get perfectly level horizontal stringing. Some of it is probably working the trigger but I feel I do better centering the front sight at speed with square notch rear sights.

AJZ
03-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks! Great write up!