PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question

will_1400
03-13-2013, 07:00 AM
So I made the mistake of reading Tam's Arms Room blog again (and finding myself jealous of her Smith collection) and I got to wondering: considering we have J-frames that can tolerate having full-house magnums through them, would it be possible to revive the Model 19 by using more modern metallurgy to combat the durability issues they were known to have when fed a steady diet of hot 125 grain loads? It might be an expensive proposition and I'm probably biased, but I can't help but think that if it could be done, they'd sell pretty well.

Jay Cunningham
03-13-2013, 07:06 AM
I've already revived it. heh

Tamara
03-13-2013, 07:09 AM
It might be an expensive proposition and I'm probably biased, but I can't help but think that if it could be done, they'd sell pretty well.

K-magnums were discontinued the first time around for lack of sales, not for (largely overblown) durability reasons.

NETim
03-13-2013, 09:24 AM
They're near perfect as issued IMHO. I don't run many full throttle magnum loads through any .357 as they're simply no fun to shoot. The muzzle blast gives me a headache. 148 gr wadcutters and "cowboy" type loads pretty much do what I ask of my revos these days.

Maybe for everyday carry the 66 is a better choice though.

Jay Cunningham
03-13-2013, 09:32 AM
I consider my 66 to be a .38 sp launcher.

Chuck Haggard
03-13-2013, 09:43 AM
At my job, "back in the day", we wore model 66s out regulalry shooting full house 125gr magnum ammo, typically Remington, we also heated them up fast enough that people often got burned during reloads. That stuff was the ammo of legend, I crono'd one batch from my Security-Six 4" at 1502fps average. Lots of fun to shoot when you are 21 years old.

I found that shooting ammo slightly less obnoxious led to far fewer problems. Some of the heavier and slower rounds were easier on the guns and shooter, and actually a better choice when one had to deal with real life cop scenarios.

Shooting .38s means a K frame will last forever. Not sure about better alloys or whatever, but I'm not sure there is enough of a market to ever be able to find out.

Tamara
03-13-2013, 10:44 AM
At my job, "back in the day", we wore model 66s out regulalry shooting full house 125gr magnum ammo, typically Remington, we also heated them up fast enough that people often got burned during reloads. That stuff was the ammo of legend, I crono'd one batch from my Security-Six 4" at 1502fps average.

That stuff apparently hit the forcing cone at about 1100fps which, given the bevel on the bottom to clear the crane, explains a lot...

FotoTomas
03-15-2013, 06:49 AM
My four inch barreled model 19 Combat Magnum is on the short list if I had to get by with only one handgun. The Glock 26 is the other candidate. Those two would be the last to go and I am not sure which would be the final selection. Depends on why I had to limit myself to one.

As for buying another new one...not for me. Being an old fart I like the original style and construction. No interest in the new technology and internal locks.

I too consider the M19 to be one of those .38's that has a Magnum option as opposed to being a full time belch fire howitzer.

Tamara
03-15-2013, 07:14 AM
As for buying another new one...not for me. Being an old fart I like the original style and construction. No interest in the new technology and internal locks.

From an aesthetic standpoint? I like the old stuff.

The new guns are finely finished on the inside, whereas even the most beautiful Registered Magnum looks like it was chewed by angry beavers under the sideplate; the metallurgy is better on the new ones, and they'll stand up to more abuse. My head says I should have a new 686+ in the holster and carry around a picture of a Combat Magnum in my wallet for my heart to look at. ;)

NETim
03-15-2013, 07:16 AM

The new guns are finely finished on the inside, whereas even the most beautiful Registered Magnum looks like it was chewed by angry beavers under the sideplate; the metallurgy is better on the new ones, and they'll stand up to more abuse. My head says I should have a new 686+ in the holster and carry around a picture of a Combat Magnum in my wallet for my heart to look at. ;)

You're harshing my buzz.

FotoTomas
03-15-2013, 07:39 AM

I am more than willing to stipulate the more modern revolvers coming from Springfield are superior in many ways. In my experience though I simply like the older ones better and am happy with them. Old friends that do today what they did when they ruled the roost.

I imagine an eight shot or seven shot .357 is awsome as far as increased firepower from a revolver standpoint. Might be a much better option for those that have to use a revolver for whatever reason. Still the revolver is mostly an option for me as opposed to the primary shooting iron for personal defense or LE. Take me some time to be able to get used to a seven or eight shooter with close to forty years of running a K frame S&W or D frame Colt six shooter under my belt.