PDA

View Full Version : Glock AA Conversion versus S&W MP .22

HPFlashman
03-13-2013, 05:44 AM
Is whats bugging me for the moment.

Having bought an ISSC for a Glock understudy when they came about and not being entirely satisfied, having somewhat large mitts (size 12 gloves) to the tune of user induced FTF because of pressing back the magazine while shooting it with a two handed grip, I`m currently somewhat in a toss-up between getting either a AA G17 kit with a frame or a MP .22 and getting rid of the ISSC.

They look to be somewhat on par with each other but with an (slight) advantage towards the Smith in the precision dept.

The gun would be used for training, competitions, teaching the kids and others and possibly as a suppressor host, as I have more .22 cans than I have guns for the moment. The cans are the only advantage we have over you US fellows, gun law wise, I think.

Anyone with experience on both plattforms that can chime in ?

Being a victim of "paralysis by analysis", I would be grateful for a comparison.

JHC
03-13-2013, 08:29 AM
I only have shooting experience with AA conversions for the 19 and 17. A fair bit. They've both run great. In hindsight, I'd get the M&P pistol instead.
I don't happen to believe the two platforms are different enough to make any difference in your training. I'd rather have the dedicated .22 pistol.
I've never measured it but I'm convinced the AA kits result in a lighter trigger pull than the OEM centerfire.
And I've observed a shooter advance his skills remarkably from heavy use of a SIRT during a year of very little Glock live fire and no way is that SIRT mirroring the Glock trigger. All trigger time is good trigger time.

The downside is a separate set of holsters and mag carriers for the M&P of course.

vaspence
03-13-2013, 05:20 PM
In hindsight, I'd get the M&P pistol instead.

This is what I ended up with. I have an AA kit for my G17 and have never used it much. It runs great but I was always grabbing a Buckmark or a Mark II or something. Once I got the M&P .22, it pretty much took up residence in the range bag. The trigger differences between the SIRT, the M&P and my Glocks isn't an issue.

rudy99
03-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Can anyone comment on the safety on the M&P22? I handled one at a gun show and it was very "mushy" (for lack of a better word) and didn't have the positive click or engagement that the safety has on the FS and Compact models have. Maybe I handled a bad one or maybe the zip tie on the barrel was affecting its performance.

VolGrad
03-13-2013, 08:04 PM
I've twice owned a GLOCK AA kit. I no longer own one. No regrets.

I now have a M&P22. No regrets.

JHC and NickA and I had this exact convo last night over dinner. I specifically mentioned to a guy in my LGS the other day (he was looking at the M&P22) the safety was a bit "off" but I didn't care since I had no plans to use it anyway. The trigger isn't quite the same feel as the centerfire brothers either. Mine is more spongy than my centerfire M&Ps.

For me the GLOCK AA kits were a bit ammo sensitive, didn't play well (accuracy wise) with a can attached, and the trigger didn't feel the same as my GLOCK. The weight was off too. I understand why and could have lived with all those things. It is what it is. However, I just found I didn't shoot it enough to keep. For me personally, I felt if I wanted to shoot my GLOCK I wanted to shoot it centerfire as Gaston intended. My range time is pretty limited so when I get there I want to shoot as I would in the wild.

When I want to have a "fun" day and shoot .22lr I enjoy shooting a dedicated rimfire pistol. On those days I reverted to my 22/45. I had a couple and ended up trading one to a buddy for a M&P22. So comparing the M&P22 to the GLOCK kits. I'd say my M&P22 is much more accurate than the first GLOCK AA kit I had. It's slightly better than the second GLOCK AA kit I had. Reliability? My M&P22 has never once hiccup'd with ANY crap ammo I've fed it. To quote LAV, "It runs like a raped ape."

If the day were to ever come I had to pare down to only one rimfire pistol I'll not hesitate to sell my 22/45 and will keep the M&P22. YMMV.

HPFlashman
03-13-2013, 08:56 PM
MP .22 it is, then.

Thanks for the help, fellas. :)

I was slightly slanted towards it but got caught up in the "orrible doubt" part of the equation.

ocridnny
03-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the piece of writing. Im a big fan of the site, i've just put a little bookmark right on the toolbar of my Firefox you'll be joyful to find out!