PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay?

JDM
04-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Would you pay a nominal increase in taxes, say half a penny gross receipts, or one percent income, if you got to direct half the money to a place of your choosing?

For example, you could opt in to the program on your W4, then when you file your taxes every year, you are provided with a multiple choice questionnaire that includes things like public safety, infrastructure etc.?

Kyle Reese
04-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Novel idea, but I doubt it would work. The powers that be would find a way to use the funds to pay for their pet projects & the like.

jslaker
04-19-2011, 08:04 AM
The problem is that you'd end up with popular and highly overbudgeted things vs less glamorous but needed things with severe shortfalls.

JV_
04-19-2011, 08:10 AM
45% pay no income taxes at all. I'd rather see a tax code reform.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110417/ap_on_re_us/us_no_taxes

ToddG
04-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Alternative idea: lower my taxes and then if I want to donate money to causes like free breakfast in elementary school, college tuition for illegal aliens, or paying people to stay at home and not work for another 99 weeks, I can do it through a charity.

KentF
04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Alternative idea: lower my taxes and then if I want to donate money to causes like free breakfast in elementary school, college tuition for illegal aliens, or paying people to stay at home and not work for another 99 weeks, I can do it through a charity.

Agreed

JDM
04-19-2011, 09:15 AM
The problem is that you'd end up with popular and highly overbudgeted things vs less glamorous but needed things with severe shortfalls.

This could be addressed by changing the available options every year.

The whole idea was to make the inevitable tax hikes more pleasant to bear.

LittleLebowski
04-19-2011, 09:40 AM

This and a flat tax. Abolish the IRS.

part-time shooter
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I want a check box that lets me vote for a flat 10% tax and also lets me opt out of using any federally funded "social programs" so I'm not a burden on those who choose to continue to pay at their current rates. I promise not to use welfare or medicade or any other federally funded entitlement program, ever. In return I'll fund my own retirement and health care...