PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR1911

David
04-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Anyone? I anticipate the "recall" jokes. I'm more of a revolver person myself, I'll probably skip it since I'm not a big 1911 type person though I do like Sturm Ruger quite a bit.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

Kyle Reese
04-18-2011, 06:41 PM
I'll suggest to anyone wishing to delve into the realm that is the 1911 to carefully research their purchase, and that usually entails going with a "semi custom" or full custom offering. Neither route will be inexpensive.

Given Ruger's lackluster semi automatic handgun/carbine offerings in the past, I don't see myself rushing out to procure one.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear. :cool:

David
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Probably not the answer you wanted to hear. :cool:

To be honest I had no preferred reply at all. I think it is a nice looking 1911 and 100% made in USA at $799MSRP seems good but I most likely will not buy one. No one buys just one 1911 so I'm not even going to open the 1911 bag to peak inside. I don't want to end up with a work bench in the garage with a parts chest and jewelers tool kit.

JHC
04-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Having sold my TRP I'm now without a 1911 and don't plan to re-acquire one except some day for nostalgia reasons. In that case, it'll be something retro. I hope Ruger makes a good copy and it does well. A blued or high polish stainless with traditional GM lines would catch my attention.

SecondsCount
04-18-2011, 11:26 PM
I am sure it will work fine for the average Joe who puts 500 rounds a year through his gun but if you are looking for something professional grade then I would look elsewhere.

The biggest issue is that we don't need another crappy 1911 on the market. If they can compete at the Springfield level of quality or better then I can respect them. Another Taurus or crappy Philippine built gun is not what the market needs.

David
04-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Another Taurus or crappy Philippine built gun is not what the market needs.

It's 100% made in USA. No outsourced parts whatsoever.

David
04-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Jeff Quinn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAP9bLqM6Ss

Joe in PNG
04-19-2011, 06:13 AM
I... I think I want one...

The good thing is I've got until January to let my desire cool off.

JV_
04-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Jeff Quinn:

At 4:34 he shoots a 20Y group (offhand) ... I wish it would have shown the shooter and the target.

Kyle Reese
04-19-2011, 07:34 AM
That makes two of us, JV.

I don't really care where a handgun is made, so long as it is reliable, accurate and durable (P30/HK45).

At 4:34 he shoots a 20Y group (offhand) ... I wish it would have shown the shooter and the target.

John Ralston
04-19-2011, 09:31 AM
The one plus for that one, at least for me, is that it doesn't look like a Ruger Center Fire Semi-Auto. It is truly the only Semi-Auto Pistol to come out of their factory that doesn't look like it was designed by a blind man. I can't imagine what it would have looked like if they had gone the route of SIG.

I am sure it will be found to be utterly durable, by I don't think there will ever be one in my safe. At that price point, I would probably go SA.

LittleLebowski
04-19-2011, 09:51 AM
That "reviewer" has never reviewed a firearm he didn't gush over. I skipped through the video and of course, he loved the damned thing. Just like everything he reviews. His site picked up the gun magazine print reviewer's habit of gushing over everything they review and carried it over to the web.

Jeff Quinn:

SecondsCount
04-19-2011, 11:15 AM
It's 100% made in USA. No outsourced parts whatsoever.

While I am glad that it is made in the US, my concern is more that it is a quality product. Consistency is the key to a good working 1911 and hopefully Ruger has figured out how to turn out a consistent product.

SecondsCount
04-19-2011, 11:20 AM
That "reviewer" has never reviewed a firearm he didn't gush over. I skipped through the video and of course, he loved the damned thing. Just like everything he reviews. His site picked up the gun magazine print reviewer's habit of gushing over everything they review and carried it over to the web.
Yes, he did gush a bit, and only fired one mag through it, but he did do a good job of explaining the features and benefits. With the grip he had on the gun I thought the group he shot was decent. Not especially fast but he did OK.

Time will tell whether or not this is a good version.

David
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Not sure how everyone defines offhanded since I've seen everyone define it in a million different ways but if it matters, He's left handed.

LittleLebowski
04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I can't stand gun journalists of Gunblast's type. EdL tells the truth good and bad; why can't they?

Prediction: this will run about as well as the Cohen era Kimbers, the Sig 1911s, the RIAs, the Desert Eagle 1911s, and so on. In other words, for the guy who shoots less than 500 rds a year, they will be flawless and ready for some customization of the aesthetics. For this forum....I'll bet they won't run as well as a bad Gen4 Glock 9mm.

Below pic is a joke but not far off on Ruger's moronic manufacturing practices....

http://www.twelve56creative.com/pics/forumlulz/ruger1911_prototype.jpg

David
04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Below pic is a joke but not far off on Ruger's moronic manufacturing practices....

http://www.twelve56creative.com/pics/forumlulz/ruger1911_prototype.jpg

Have you even looked at the gun? The sides have nothing more than a simple logo and the name "Ruger" on it. The only warning is on the bottom of the dust-cover saying "read the manual".

LittleLebowski
04-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Have you even looked at the gun? The sides have nothing more than a simple logo and the name "Ruger" on it. The only warning is on the bottom of the dust-cover saying "read the manual".

Why don't you reread my post? You know, the "below pic is a joke" part?

David
04-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Why don't you reread my post? You know, the "below pic is a joke" part?

I thought jokes had to be funny though. :rolleyes:

LittleLebowski
04-19-2011, 11:47 AM
I thought jokes had to be funny though. :rolleyes:

Let me break it down for you. Ruger very often puts moronic stuff like "read instruction manual" on the barrel of their products. It's annoying and does take away from the aesthetics. There are even gunsmiths who offer removal of said warnings as a service.

Example:
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger_MarkIII-Hunter/1Mvc-014f.jpg

David
04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Let me break it down for you. Ruger very often puts moronic stuff like "read instruction manual" on the barrel of their products. It's annoying and does take away from the aesthetics. There are even gunsmiths who offer removal of said warnings as a service.

Yeah I know they do, I have several. I never really even gave them any thought though. They could print the Encyclopedia Britannica on it if the thing works for all I care.

SouthNarc
04-19-2011, 05:17 PM

Example:
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger_MarkIII-Hunter/1Mvc-014f.jpg

I still don't get it.........

:::kiddding:::

David
04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I still don't get it.........

:::kiddding:::

belch.

Joe in PNG
04-20-2011, 12:47 AM
The worst thing about my perverse desire for any 1911 is that I know that by the time I swap out all the inevitable MIM bits for proper parts, I will be into HK 45 money- and would be better served with that... better yet, get a P-30.

But I still freaking want an inexpensive but good 1911- anyone know a good support group?

David
04-20-2011, 02:23 AM
anyone know a good support group?

Yes but it's in the shady part of town next to the bridge and that trailer advertising massages.

MechEng
04-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Jeff Quinn:

I find there is little or no value in Jeff’s gun review video clips. They are all about the same.

“Bla Bla Bla…this is a dandy little gun…yada yada yada…I really like it.” Then he rapidly empties the entire magazine and that’s about it.

If some firearms manufacturer sends him a free gun to review and shoot, he feel obligated to “Like it” so they will send him more guns to review and shoot.

As for Ruger coming out with a 1911, what’s the big deal, who cares, they are a little late to the party. Everyone else already beat them to it.

David
04-20-2011, 02:39 PM
I find there is little or no value in Jeff’s gun review video clips. They are all about the same.

“Bla Bla Bla…this is a dandy little gun…yada yada yada…I really like it.” Then he rapidly empties the entire magazine and that’s about it.

If some firearms manufacturer sends him a free gun to review and shoot, he feel obligated to “Like it” so they will send him more guns to review and shoot.

It was posted to just show the gun, not to value his opinion of it. At the time it was the only video out there with anyone actually holding / firing one other than the ruger video which doesn't permit linking.

Kyle Reese
04-20-2011, 02:42 PM
But I still freaking want an inexpensive but good 1911- anyone know a good support group?

http://disgrasian.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/unicorn_rainbow1.jpg

Seriously, I don't think such a thing exists. :cool:

Joe in PNG
04-20-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm thinking something along the lines of 1911 anon.

Analogy time: It's a bit like having a crush on a girl who's Daddy's Spoilt Little Princess. True, you just know that she's going to be expensive, time consuming, and unreliable. All your friends that know her tell you to stay away...

...but...

David
04-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm thinking something along the lines of 1911 anon.

Analogy time: It's a bit like having a crush on a girl who's Daddy's Spoilt Little Princess. True, you just know that she's going to be expensive, time consuming, and unreliable. All your friends that know her tell you to stay away...

...but...

Wasn't this the theme to some sort of 50's "shoop - shoop" song?

SecondsCount
04-20-2011, 06:41 PM
The worst thing about my perverse desire for any 1911 is that I know that by the time I swap out all the inevitable MIM bits for proper parts, I will be into HK 45 money- and would be better served with that... better yet, get a P-30.

If you want a professional grade 1911 at a good price then shop the used market. You will still be over $1K but a lightly used Les Baer TRS(no MIM), Springfield TRP(quality MIM), or Wilson CQB(not sure if any MIM) will treat you well.