PDA

View Full Version : A brief reflection on running an trijicon RMR in MDFI HG1/HG2

willowofwisp
04-18-2011, 05:52 PM
This weekend I took MDFI (Michigan Defensive Firearms institute) HG1 and HG2 which was taught by Erik Utrecht of Blue Cell protective services and Tom Fineis of Raven Concealment. I had just picked up the Glock 19 from Doug a local machinist (he does slide/trigger work for Steve Fisher and Chris Costa of Magpul). I promptly zero'd the the RMR and just put a few rounds through the gun before putting it away for the weekend. Over the weekend I ran roughly 700 rounds through the gun. The first advtanges I noticed from the RMR were speed, I could quickly get hits on both steel and targets past 15 yards..much faster than I was with Irons, another advantage is the huge RMR on top of my slide, which allowed for a ledge for either racking the slide or press checking. The only disadvantage I really noticed was shooting close up, anything closer than 5 yards and I was much slower with the dot versus irons, at that point if it wasn't precision shooting and just COM hits I was using the RMR as a huge ghost ring, which worked pretty well.

I think one of the biggest advantages with the RMR came with one handed manipulations..most of my guns have had some type or rear sight wiht a ledge, which helped for one handed racking the slide, but sometimes the ledge would slip off the holster or belt or you could miss the surface entirely, with the RMR it was ridiculous, I could rack the slide off of my knee or really any surface, the huge window of the RMR was a huge help in that category.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5148/5617913018_2f6e562988_z.jpg

GearScout
04-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks for sharing! That almost looks like it was born with the sight on there. How does the RMR mount? Does it slide into the dovetail or does the slide have to be altered significantly to accept the sight?

willowofwisp
04-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for sharing! That almost looks like it was born with the sight on there. How does the RMR mount? Does it slide into the dovetail or does the slide have to be altered significantly to accept the sight?

The slide was machined to accept the RMR, I don't know if there is actually a dovetail mount out there.

Slavex
04-19-2011, 06:38 AM
I would be more worried about breaking the sight doing those kinds of manipulations then with traditional iron sights.

I think one of the biggest advantages with the RMR came with one handed manipulations..most of my guns have had some type or rear sight wiht a ledge, which helped for one handed racking the slide, but sometimes the ledge would slip off the holster or belt or you could miss the surface entirely, with the RMR it was ridiculous, I could rack the slide off of my knee or really any surface, the huge window of the RMR was a huge help in that category.

willowofwisp
04-19-2011, 06:58 AM
I would be more worried about breaking the sight doing those kinds of manipulations then with traditional iron sights.

The rmr really is a beast, I have seen the one Steve Fisher has ran and its really been to hell and back. I have also seen them dropped on concrete, racked off of tables and just abused, the sight is really a solid piece, and if the dot goes out I have buis.

turbolag23
04-19-2011, 08:51 AM
I was on the opposite line and got to watch this run all weekend. the target acquisition, one handed reloads, and malfunction clearing drills looked a lot easier.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/CWPspeed3/041711%20MDFI%20HG2/DSC_8677.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/CWPspeed3/041711%20MDFI%20HG2/DSC_8673.jpg