PDA

View Full Version : Another chapter in the never ending search for a AIWB for fat guys.

SC_Dave
03-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Soooooo much discussion on IWB holsters but I understand why. I know, I know, I need to loose weight and I'm trying. I could buy another Glock with the money I have in holsters. I am big and I stick out in places most guys don't, especially when I sit. I want appendix carry to work for me, period. I have tried a Dale Fricke Arch Angel, Crossbreed Apendix, Bladetech, Old Faithful and several others I can't remember the name of right now. All good holsters, some more comfortable than others, some conceal better than others. I have yet to find the right one. I am open to any material kydex, leather or the combination. I carry a Glock 19. If you are a big guy and have found something that works good for you I would like to hear from you.
David

orionz06
03-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Why didnt they work for you?

SC_Dave
03-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Why didnt they work for you?

Comfort mostly. Some pinch, some poke. I have heard a million times that carrying is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable. Well I say it can be both if you find the right holster. All are sturdy and well made. I may be looking for something that does not exist, but what I want is something that I almost forget is there. I have carried for 11 years mostly pocket. I do have a good pistol belt just for info.
David

orionz06
03-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Are you able to pinpoint specific issues with specific holsters?

SC_Dave
03-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Are you able to pinpoint specific issues with specific holsters?

The Fricke rides a little to high so my gut wants to push the grip outward to a point that it's noticeable when I have it in the 12:30 - 1:00 postion. If I move it clockwise to say 2:00 - 3:00 it digs into my upper thigh when I sit. I do like it's ridgid feel when unholstering and holstering. The hybrid holsters like Old Faithful and Crossbreed are more comfortable but tend to want to flop over more and don't offer the secure feel. I don't want to offend any manufacturer or person who has these brands. This is my experience because of my body configuration.

Prdator
03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
As a fat guy I know what your going though.

a few things.

One buy a longer holster for the 19, say a G34 or G17 length the longer the better... trust me.

Raise your waist line to as close to your belly botton as you can. this made ALL the diferance for me.

Get a good very adjustable belt, Wilderness type. for big guys a small adjusment in belt tension will help a LOT.

Get a good holster that has ride hight and some cant adjustment.

I run a G35 every day in my holster and it works very well for me.

SC_Dave
03-07-2013, 02:55 PM

a few things.

One buy a longer holster for the 19, say a G34 or G17 length the longer the better... trust me.

Raise your waist line to as close to your belly botton as you can. this made ALL the diferance for me.

Get a good very adjustable belt, Wilderness type. for big guys a small adjusment in belt tension will help a LOT.

Never thought about longer, always thought shorter. Do you appendix carry?

BigT
03-07-2013, 02:57 PM

Not only does he , but he also makes one hellava AIWB rig.

Dropkick
03-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Longer holsters (especially those with some sort of wedge) help tuck the butt of the gun in better.

Like a traditional physics lever problem. If you consider your belt the fulcrum, the butt and magazine the load, having a longer holster (lever) will help in tucking (lifting) the gun.

SC_Dave
03-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Longer holsters (especially those with some sort of wedge) help tuck the butt of the gun in better.

Like a traditional physics lever problem. If you consider your belt the fulcrum, the butt and magazine the load, having a longer holster (lever) will help in tucking (lifting) the gun.

Makes perfect sense.
David

Sparks2112
03-07-2013, 04:44 PM

a few things.

I'd say I'm fatter than Spencer ;) and my experience mirrors his. I'm running a G34 in the same holster Spencer is using and it's THE most comfortable holster/gun combo I've ever worn.

NickA
03-07-2013, 05:06 PM

Also, I've found that the muzzle end of shorter holsters tends to poke me right in the groin when sitting or bending. The longer holster body will "ride" more on top of the pubic bone and not dig in. Obviously that depends on how you are built, but it's been my experience.

WoodLark
03-09-2013, 09:57 AM
I'll echo the "longer holster" comment. One appendix holster maker I have dealt with even says on his web page that, when making holsters for short barreled guns, he will intentionally make them long unless the customer specifies otherwise.

orionz06
03-09-2013, 10:54 AM
That is how I have been treating the PPS and Shield. So far the only complaint has been wait time.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/182478_512496058801013_1164401895_n.jpg

MGW
03-09-2013, 11:13 AM
That is how I have been treating the PPS and Shield. So far the only complaint has been wait time.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/182478_512496058801013_1164401895_n.jpg

A bit of a thread jack but I would sure like to see this holster with an XDS in it :p

Super J
03-11-2013, 06:06 PM
I do not have a flat stomach and have a bit of a belly. The SME holster magically and comfortably hides my G17 with rmr without issue.

BWT
03-16-2013, 10:09 AM
I do not have a flat stomach and have a bit of a belly. The SME holster magically and comfortably hides my G17 with rmr without issue.

I may go with this, eventually. I carry a Glock 17 and I'm not thrilled with my current holsters. That being said I waited 11 months and paid $90 for the last one. I'm 6'0" and 209 lbs, 36" waist and I'm really not impressed with AIWB right now.

Super J
03-21-2013, 06:48 AM
I may go with this, eventually. I carry a Glock 17 and I'm not thrilled with my current holsters. That being said I waited 11 months and paid $90 for the last one. I'm 6'0" and 209 lbs, 36" waist and I'm really not impressed with AIWB right now.

I have no regrets and I'm very pleased with the awesomeness of the SME holster from John Ralston. I've let all my non-believer friends try it on and they are all now saving up to order a SME for themselves.