PDA

View Full Version : P30 Question

SteveK
04-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I have a new P30 I am setting up and am gathering different springs to see what I prefer. What pull rate am I looking at by using the DA/SA (USP) mainspring and the stock firing pin block spring? I'm assuming the fpbs Todd uses is heavier for a more positive reset, however they aren't available at this time. Thanks.

KentF
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Here are the spring rates for the LEM versions:

V1: nominal 4.5# trigger pull; uses standard trigger return spring (209266) and standard firing pin block spring (209296)

V2: nominal 7.3# trigger pull; uses extra strength trigger return spring and extra strength firing pin block spring

V4: nominal 6.1# trigger pull; uses the extra strength trigger return spring but a standard firing pin block spring

Todd Green Version: uses extra strength trigger return spring, Standard firing pin block Spring (209296) and 12lb. Hammer Spring (214300)

JV_
04-18-2011, 01:57 PM

My gun was about 1/2# heavier than your listed weights.

vecdran
04-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I found that trading out for the square wire heavy trigger return spring and the USP mainspring netted a slightly lighter pull, with a much more positive reset. Didn't mess with the firing pin block spring. Also, I had my gunsmith polish all the trigger internals. Much smoother. All in all, pretty cost effective way of improving the trigger. Have had zero FTFs with the lighter mainspring.

KentF
04-18-2011, 06:26 PM
My gun was about 1/2# heavier than your listed weights.

The weights are from the hk-usa web site. I'm guessing there may be some variation. I don't have an electronic trigger pull gauge to check mine with.

JV_
04-18-2011, 06:28 PM
The weights are from the hk-usa web site. I'm guessing there may be some variation. I don't have an electronic trigger pull gauge to check mine with.

Probably so. Todd posted his trigger weight, at some point. Mine was heavier than his too.

KentF
04-23-2011, 03:56 PM
I had my LGS test my trigger pull today. With the 12# trigger spring and all other springs stock on a V2 my pull is 7.5#.

mag
04-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Do you have a part number for this "extra strength trigger return spring"? Or will the guys at HK know what I want if I tell them that?

KentF
04-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Do you have a part number for this "extra strength trigger return spring"? Or will the guys at HK know what I want if I tell them that?

I don't have the part number. Depending on which version of P-30 you have, it may already have the "extra strength" spring. The V2, which mine is, comes with the extra strength trigger return spring. I'm sure the people at HK would be able to help you.

mag
04-25-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't have the part number. Depending on which version of P-30 you have, it may already have the "extra strength" spring. The V2, which mine is, comes with the extra strength trigger return spring. I'm sure the people at HK would be able to help you.

I have a V3, so I don't think I have the extra strength spring. But I do have the 12# hammer spring, so I'm 3rd of the way there.

KentF
04-26-2011, 07:11 AM
I have a V3, so I don't think I have the extra strength spring. But I do have the 12# hammer spring, so I'm 3rd of the way there.

I could be wrong, and I'm sure others will correct me if I am, but I believe the "ToddG Special" only applies to P30s with the LEM trigger. Not the conventional double/single action V3.

ToddG
04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Really, the so-called "ToddG Special" is just the V2 trigger spring with the V3 firing pin block spring and hammer spring. If I were going to shoot a V3, I'd still swap out for the heavier trigger spring even though it would make the DA press heavier.

KentF
04-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks Todd, I appreciate the clarification.

mag
04-26-2011, 09:14 AM
I could be wrong, and I'm sure others will correct me if I am, but I believe the "ToddG Special" only applies to P30s with the LEM trigger. Not the conventional double/single action V3.

I recently dropped a LEM kit into my V3 after I dry fired an LEM p2000 a couple of weeks ago in a gun shop. I was extremely impressed because to me the gun seemed to still function like the standard DA/SA except the DA pull was a tenth of weight and it automatically decocks. It really is an ingenious system. I just wish I had understood it better before I bought my p30.

Thanks for the info Todd. I don't shoot nearly as fast as you but I can understand just from the way the trigger feels now that a stronger trigger return spring would improve the performance of the gun.

JodyH
04-26-2011, 04:38 PM
I called up and requested the "ToddG Special" and was advised they were all out of goats and Vaseline.

btw: what's wrong with the standard V2 LEM? That's what's in all three of my pistols and it hasn't handicapped me in any way that I'm aware of.

John Ralston
04-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Nothing wrong with it, but the lighter pull on the ToddG sure doesn't hurt anything. You get a lighter pull with good trigger reset.

JodyH
04-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Actually, I've found that lighter pulls on fairly long triggers like the LEM can be detrimental.
Besides, after 10k rounds the V2 is about as light as I'd be comfortable using as a CCW.

ubervic
04-27-2011, 04:44 PM
what's wrong with the standard V2 LEM? That's what's in all three of my pistols and it hasn't handicapped me in any way that I'm aware of.

My P2000sk is V2 LEM from the factory. I felt the same way you did...but I let curiosity get the better of me and ordered a $10 (?) lighter Firing Pin Block Spring and installed it myself. I don't have an accurate means of measuring the before & after trigger-pull weight, but I understand that I dropped the pull from roughly 7.5 or 8 lbs down to around 6.5 lbs. (again, ROUGHLY).

I like it. A LOT. My groups on paper have definitely shrunk at least 30% since making this once change.

I still have the same feeling of confidence & pull-weight consistency that the LEM trigger design affords with the standard (heavier) pull weight, and yet the feel of the trigger 'stacking' is very much reduced---you know when you've hit the sweet spot and yet it's a smoother, softer, easier and more pleasant trip to that point.

In other words, with the slightly lighter trigger I can focus less on making my trigger-press smooth and focus more on aligning the sights and following through.

WGFinley
05-19-2011, 09:39 AM

V1: nominal 4.5# trigger pull; uses standard trigger return spring (209266) and standard firing pin block spring (209296)

V2: nominal 7.3# trigger pull; uses extra strength trigger return spring and extra strength firing pin block spring

V4: nominal 6.1# trigger pull; uses the extra strength trigger return spring but a standard firing pin block spring

Todd Green Version: uses extra strength trigger return spring, Standard firing pin block Spring (209296) and 12lb. Hammer Spring (214300)

I'm trying to put together a comprehensive chart on this so people can figure out what parts they need for the various LEM trigger options one can put together. I'm pretty sure your list here is correct except for the V1 TRS, I believe that should be 234389. The 209266 is for the P2000 trigger job I believe.

This is what she looks like at the moment, I'm trying to compile and correct and get something definitive so people are less confused. If anyone has corrections I'm all ears, trying to get it sorted!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2499/5736568377_b0214f7337_z_d.jpg

joshs
05-19-2011, 01:51 PM
The V4 cannot be lighter than the TGS. The 214300 hammer spring is significantly lighter than part 214695.

WGFinley
05-23-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm trying to put together a comprehensive chart on this so people can figure out what parts they need for the various LEM trigger options one can put together. I'm pretty sure your list here is correct except for the V1 TRS, I believe that should be 234389. The 209266 is for the P2000 trigger job I believe.

This is what she looks like at the moment, I'm trying to compile and correct and get something definitive so people are less confused. If anyone has corrections I'm all ears, trying to get it sorted!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2499/5736568377_b0214f7337_z_d.jpg

I would agree that should be the case, the trigger weight I posted was the only one I saw Todd post. If someone has a better guess as to it would be happy to update it.

--Guy

ToddG
05-23-2011, 08:41 AM
My measurement was based on, well, an actual measurement. Without putting all the various combos into that specific gun and measuring each one of them, you're sort of comparing apples to oranges.

WGFinley
05-23-2011, 08:49 AM
My measurement was based on, well, an actual measurement. Without putting all the various combos into that specific gun and measuring each one of them, you're sort of comparing apples to oranges.

Yep, that's what I gathered when I read it. I think it might have been before you replaced the hammerspring though? Week Two (http://pistol-training.com/archives/1457) was where I got the figure from. You mentioned converting it to V4 but not replacing the hammerspring. Maybe that came later?

--Guy

WGFinley
05-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Also if I had to put an asterisk anywhere it would be the hammerspring for the V1, I've only found one source that says it has the 214300. It would seem to make sense that one source could be correct though as all the V1 is, I believe, the SA pull of the V3. I am by no means an armorer though.

--Guy

JV_
05-23-2011, 09:01 AM
I've got some measurements at home, taken as I installed each of the springs. I'll post it tonight.

Odin Bravo One
06-11-2011, 10:45 PM
So, being new to the P30 world, and private ownership of Hk in general........where do I order these parts from if I wanted to swap my V2 for a V whatever I decide?

John Ralston
06-11-2011, 11:12 PM
HKparts.net

JMorse
09-17-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm so sorry to resurrect a long-dead thread, but can anyone confirm a P30L can NOT be configured to a TLG version? It seems like I read that long ago, but can't find it anywhere. This may alter my L version choice on a gun I haven't picked up yet, so this is fairly timely.

Thank you very much!

joshs
09-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Assuming the P30L is already an LEM variant, it can be converted to the TGS. Non-LEM variants can be converted as well, but the conversion is not supported by HK.

JMorse
09-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Assuming the P30L is already an LEM variant, it can be converted to the TGS. Non-LEM variants can be converted as well, but the conversion is not supported by HK.

Thanks, Josh. I guess maybe I should cover my bases and get a non-L just to be safe as it's a v3 and that's all they have in stock.