PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5 x 4 green dot scope and SPC reticle on M4 style carbine.

Little Creek
03-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Does anyone have any expierence with this scope on their M4 style carbine? I have one mounted with a Leupold M2 mount on my DDV7lw. I like it. It has a 1" tube when 30mm or larger are in, but it does seem to get the job done for a reasonable amount of money.

Suvorov
03-05-2013, 04:40 PM
I run a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4X Patrol on my SPR and am happy with it. I would have ideally liked an 1-8X but it was outside my price range right now. I also have a Mark AR 3-9X on my M14 which I have been pleased with. For the money, it has been a good scope and no real complaints.

Your scope looks like a great budget option for a carbine 1-4X scope and worth a look, especially with a $400 street price. I like the SPR reticle that is on my VX-R as it is simple to use but does give you some ability to range and use hold offs. It took a little while used to the 1/10 mil adjustments, but they do make using the reticle a little more straight forward.

Obviously this optic like mine is a "budget" option. From the 1" tube and 2nd focal plain reticle, and glass that is good but not amazing (I was recently looking through some Zeiss glass and it was clearly superior) but for any use I envision my rifles being used for (from general training, to recreational competition, to HD, to post disaster SHTF neighborhood denial), I have zero doubt that they will hold up their end.

TGS
04-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Any updates on this scope, Little Creek?

The 9.6oz weight is appealing. That's almost a half-pound lighter than my Burris MTAC 30mm, and I'm not sure 30mm vs 1" tube is such a disparity in quality to begin with.

Little Creek
04-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Any updates on this scope, Little Creek?

The 9.6oz weight is appealing. That's almost a half-pound lighter than my Burris MTAC 30mm, and I'm not sure 30mm vs 1" tube is such a disparity in quality to begin with.

I still like it a lot. I shot in my first local 3-gun match about 10 days ago, 5th of 22 overall and 2nd Tactical. The high overall and 1st. Tactical was a lean young man about half my age.

I am thinking of getting another one for my S&W 15-22 for relatively inexpensive practice. I have more 22lr ammo on hand than I do 223/5.56. I particularily like the reticle and the variable intensity green dot. The 1.5x does not appear to slow me down on close targets. Old age does that. I think this scope is hard to beat for the money.