PDA

View Full Version : The vice president was right.

Tamara
03-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Because I am a patriotic American, I listen to my vice president. When I was in the thoroughly picked-over gun store yesterday, a Remington 870 caught my eye. I realized that, except for a vintage Model 10 of questionable reliability and which has a stock that currently consists of more crack than wood and would probably explode into splinters under the recoil of a high-brass buckshot load, I have been keeping house for years without a gauge, and so I bought the 870. It's a deer gun with a 20" Imp Cyl barrel with rifle sights, and it was right at three and a half bills.

I need to get one of them there Magpul stocks on it, and then research the "Balcony Load" thread for good defensive ammo. I only hope this thing will work as well as a Perazzi for keeping the cads and bounders off my lawn.

jetfire
03-04-2013, 08:26 AM
I strongly encourage sending it to Wilson Combat for their Remington Steal package, which in addition to a hilarious name is also a great way to sex up an 870 for not much money.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-remington-steal.asp

Tamara
03-04-2013, 08:54 AM
I strongly encourage sending it to Wilson Combat for their Remington Steal package, which in addition to a hilarious name is also a great way to sex up an 870 for not much money.

Dude, this is a brand new gauge (although the sku, 25565, has been out of circulation for a bit, so ghu only knows how long it's been gathering dust in a back corner of the RSR or Davidson warehouse...)

jetfire
03-04-2013, 09:00 AM
I figured for three bills and with rifle sights in Indiana that it was probably some dude's deer gun that he sold to make a car payment or something.

Al T.
03-04-2013, 10:32 AM
I know your pretty recoil proof, but I've been quite happy with my Knoxx Comp stock. Aside from sucking the recoil down, the adjustable stock is nice for heavy clothing.

ST911
03-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Great shotgun to have around. If NIB, run it hard for awhile to get everything running smoothly and polished out. I like a high-visibility follower if it doesn't have one already. The stock on that one is too long for most folks, a replacement, table saw, or trip to the smith is in order. For defensive loads, the Federal Tactical LE132 OOB and LE132 1B are leading the way.

What a great host for a T1, too. Lots of options.

Tamara
03-04-2013, 11:03 AM
I know your pretty recoil proof, but I've been quite happy with my Knoxx Comp stock. Aside from sucking the recoil down, the adjustable stock is nice for heavy clothing.

I just burned up the rest of a Brownells gift card ordering some Magpul furniture. They had one of the Magpul HD guns at the shop, too. I spent some time coonfingering it and really liked the way that ugly furniture made the gun handle, but it was, like, two bills more than the deer gun and it had the long mag tube and that fruity-looking ported wart on the muzzle end, when all I wanted was the stock and forearm.

Nephrology
03-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Is this a Wingmaster or an express? I have a blued po-surp 870 from some Louisiana SO that I have done up with a +2 tube and a 4 shell sidesaddle by Mesa. Never wanted to remove the wood stocks myself. I don't usually keep it loaded, anyway - I find one of my 9mm pistols is sufficient in my rather cramped quarters...

They are lovely guns, however.

Tamara
03-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Is this a Wingmaster or an express? I have a blued po-surp 870 from some Louisiana SO that I have done up with a +2 tube and a 4 shell sidesaddle by Mesa. Never wanted to remove the wood stocks myself.

It's an Express, so not only is the plywood stock heavy and too long, it's also as ugly as the backside of a mud fence on a rainy day. I mean, this matte-finished furniture is ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road. And heavy. And too long.

JHC
03-04-2013, 12:17 PM

That's an idea! I didn't know they had such a package. I just picked up a very old but very nice 870 (2 3/4 chamber, old corncob foregrip) for under what that package costs. I need the 18" barrel however.

jetfire
03-04-2013, 12:23 PM
I have sent several used 870s off for that, and it's really quite awesome. It was a little bit awesomer when it was only $200, but hey inflation's a bitch.

Tamara
03-04-2013, 02:48 PM
I have sent several used 870s off for that, and it's really quite awesome. It was a little bit awesomer when it was only $200, but hey inflation's a bitch.

It's a lifesaver for tired ex-popo guns or Jasper's old duck blaster.

Al T.
03-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Yeah, the Magpul stock surprised me. It's definitely ahead of the factory furniture. My 870 Express had the "rust if you look at it" problem which was cured with Krylon.

pdb
03-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Is Remington still dimpling the end of the mag tube on the express models to make installing an extension a pain?

SeriousStudent
03-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Tamara, are you considering a light for your new shotgun?

Just curious, Surefire is supposed to release a new shotgun light that offers around 200 lumens for a projected street price of about 200 dollars. I was wondering what your research had led you to consider, with your resources.

I recently snagged an old 870, and it's been a lot of fun building it up. Good luck with yours.

Tamara
03-05-2013, 07:08 AM
Is Remington still dimpling the end of the mag tube on the express models to make installing an extension a pain?

Didn't check. Wasn't planning on installing an extension, anyway. I'm just tickled that they ditched the ghey J-lock since last I owned an 870.

FWIW, I'm probably only ever going to use this thing as a range toy and to take to shotgun classes. I mostly bought it for the price tag and the fact that the smoothbore barrel with rifle sights and short mag tube is to scatterguns what a two-tone 1911 with Pachmayrs is to pistols: It just screams "hardcore tacticool circa 1985". :D

Nephrology
03-05-2013, 07:30 AM
It's an Express, so not only is the plywood stock heavy and too long, it's also as ugly as the backside of a mud fence on a rainy day. I mean, this matte-finished furniture is ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road. And heavy. And too long.

Ooh, yeah. Do away with that stuff, post-haste.

Tamara
03-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Tamara, are you considering a light for your new shotgun?

Just curious, Surefire is supposed to release a new shotgun light that offers around 200 lumens for a projected street price of about 200 dollars.

I Did Not Know This. :o

I need to put some kind of light on it and was currently idly exploring options of doodads to go on the Magpul foreend... I am totes open to suggestions.

LHS
03-05-2013, 09:29 AM
I Did Not Know This. :o

I need to put some kind of light on it and was currently idly exploring options of doodads to go on the Magpul foreend... I am totes open to suggestions.

I really like the old Laser Products-era SF fore-end. Not too fond of the current SF offering, it's heavy and frankly uncomfortable. I'm looking forward to seeing the new SF offering, hopefully it'll be lighter and easier on the hands during long shooting sessions. Now if they'd only come out with a SF light handguard for my VEPR-12...

SeriousStudent
03-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Tamara, I am with LHS on this. I have a pair of 870's rigged to repel boarders, and do prefer the older Surefire Laser Products fore-end. Mine has one of Gene Malkoff's 200-ish lumen LED's, which gives it a very nice room-filling flood. Throw is pretty reasonable as well. It will work for the average sized backyard. It's a lot slimmer, and frankly easier to operate with human-sized hands.

If you look on ebay, you should be able to track one down for under $200. The LED runs about $60. That works out to be cheaper than the newer 618FA model, which is bigger, uses an incan bulb, and has less flood and throw.

The other nice thing about the older light, is that it really is easier to use Chief Haught's push/pull recoil control techniques. That is my very humble opinion. But it does seem to be faster and easier with that older light. The newer light is fatter and more difficult to brace, I think.

My only concern about just about every other light system, is that I have seen them break. Everyone seems to eventually go with a Surefire 618, or ditch the light idea entirely. It's the Borg of scattergun illumination.

I'm doing a Advanced Pistol/Shotgun class at the end of the month, and plan to bring both. But I am banking on the old beater gun with old parts.

I hope that was a help, please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Mitchell, Esq.
03-06-2013, 07:17 AM
1980's tactical is an always will be tacticool.

Tamara
03-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Got the Magpul furniture installed. That went well.

As a bonus, my roommate has her dad's old 870. She's already put an 18" tube on the thing and set the 28" barrel aside, and so I gave her the OEM plywood from my gun so she can put her dad's old bird-hunting furniture safely away with the barrel.

Hopefully I can get her to come to a shotgun class and scuff that plywood up now. :)

NETim
03-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Got the Magpul furniture installed. That went well.

As a bonus, my roommate has her dad's old 870. She's already put an 18" tube on the thing and set the 28" barrel aside, and so I gave her the OEM plywood from my gun so she can put her dad's old bird-hunting furniture safely away with the barrel.

Hopefully I can get her to come to a shotgun class and scuff that plywood up now. :)

Obviously you're not planning on attending a class at Biden Tactical.

No Perazzi.
No Beretta.
No Service.

Tamara
03-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Magpul furniture on the slug gun, with an old Remington 10-A for scale:

Debating on whether I want to add a one-shot mag extension or not. Already have a four-shot Mesa side-saddle on order.

LHS
03-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Magpul furniture on the slug gun, with an old Remington 10-A for scale:

Debating on whether I want to add a one-shot mag extension or not. Already have a four-shot Mesa side-saddle on order.

I like the 1-rd extension just so you have room for a select slug drill.

Tamara
03-08-2013, 04:16 PM
I like the 1-rd extension just so you have room for a select slug drill.

Good point.

Next time I'm down at CCA, I'll probably have the guys un-dimple the magazine tube just in case I want to slap a Vang or ST extension on there...

jetfire
03-08-2013, 04:51 PM
That Model 10-A is boss.

LHS
03-08-2013, 05:03 PM
That Model 10-A is boss.

I lust for the unobtainium Model 10 trench gun.

Tamara
03-08-2013, 05:20 PM
I lust for the unobtainium Model 10 trench gun.

Me, too! That's part of why I jumped on this one, even though it's not a factory riot. Be aware that the stocks on 10s are almost always cracked to hell and gone. If you plan to shoot one, be prepared to Acraglass or plunk down ~$90 for a new repro stock. :eek:

LHS
03-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Me, too! That's part of why I jumped on this one, even though it's not a factory riot. Be aware that the stocks on 10s are almost always cracked to hell and gone. If you plan to shoot one, be prepared to Acraglass or plunk down ~$90 for a new repro stock. :eek:

If I had stupid money, I'd have most of the early trench guns: Model 10, Model 12, Model 1897 (WWI and WWII variants), and I'd even through in a few of the Stevens guns just for completionism's sake. I've actually been tempted by the Chinese '97 trench gun repros, but it's never been a high enough priority for me to pull the trigger on one.

jrm
03-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Good point.

Next time I'm down at CCA, I'll probably have the guys un-dimple the magazine tube just in case I want to slap a Vang or ST extension on there...

Don't just take my word on it but I believe if you are only doing a +1 you don't have to remove the dimples. The follower and base of the shell will not go that far down the tube.

Tamara
03-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Don't just take my word on it but I believe if you are only doing a +1 you don't have to remove the dimples. The follower and base of the shell will not go that far down the tube.

As a +1 is all I'd be interested in, that'd be great!

Tamara
03-09-2013, 09:24 PM
So... got the Mesa 4-shell sidesaddle on the gun and the Magpul rear sling doohicky and I had a spare MS-2 sling I picked up on sale someplace.

I can't wait to get to the range. I think I'll wait 'til I get all these stitches out of my face first, though...