PDA

View Full Version : my p226

GR00VY
03-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Hello all. new here. I have had one handgun for a couple years now and that was my M&P40. It has beat and dinged up from lots of use. Still runs great. It just just has some nicks and and chips missing from the rail on the frame. I wanted to pick up a new gun that was nicer looking, all steel, reliable. I settled on a new p226 rtss in 40. so far the it has run flawless. It is a different beast than the M&P that is for sure. Anywho, for any sig owners out there, I noticed that the decock lever when it comes up is hitting the frame and making a nice dent in the steel frame. I have taken it apart and looked things over several times and found what I think is the problem. The decocking lever bearing does not fit nice and tight inside the cut out inside the frame it wiggles just a bit. I put a little JB Weld along the side of the decocking lever bearing (always modify easy to replace and cheap parts. Plus I can always remove the weld if I want) to make it fit tight. Now the lever stops short of the frame when you depress it and comes back up. Anyone have a problem like this. Should I contact sig or is this a design flaw? Pics below

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/GR00VYJERRY/IMG_20130227_064050_zps8478772c.jpg
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/GR00VYJERRY/IMG_20130121_000717.jpg

and the beauty herself

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/GR00VYJERRY/IMG_20130112_184904.jpg

I am very happy with the gun. Just a little stumped on the nick forming on gun that cost close to a thousand dollars.

CCT125US
03-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Several thoughts: cosmetic blemishes are nothing to worry about, they simple show use. As far as the JB weld I would be very concerned about it breaking loose and impeding function in some way.

Off topic, but what image hosting service are you using? Photobucket fails me at the moment.

Nephrology
03-03-2013, 04:33 PM
I am no SIG expert but I have seen that wear on pretty much every used SIG P22x model pistol I've ever seen. I would remove the weld and simply not worry about it. The wear on the frame is a reminder that this pistol belongs to you because you're the one shooting it. Don't get hung up over it.

Suvorov
03-03-2013, 04:48 PM
If you are talking about the scraping on the frame caused by the decock, this is normal. If you are talking about the divot on the frame above the decock then I have not seen this on any of my SIGS. I would remove the JB Weld as either your gun has an issue that needs to be corrected or the weld is correcting a problem that doesn't exist.

gtmtnbiker98
03-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I used to be a Sig die hard, owned several at one time. That wear pattern is normal, due to inward pressure applied to the decocker during operation. It is nothing to worry about. Also, that 'ding' at the top is also normal.

GR00VY
03-03-2013, 06:52 PM
I wasn't so much concerned about the drag mark from the decock lever but more so with the ding in the frame. I removed the weld and put it back to normal. I have taken that gun apart so many times now, I could do it my sleep :D My brother has an older sig that the decock lever does not hit the top it stops before that. Must be from new manufacture process I guess.

ToddG
03-04-2013, 12:51 PM
The drag mark from the decocker, as others have said, is completely normal. As for the ding, to be honest I don't recall ever: noticing, looking, or hearing about it from any customers. If you have to magnify to see it, it's probably not a problem. Even if it's not normal wear, if the gun is functioning properly it could mean you simply have something like a slightly bent or oversized decocker lever, slightly out of spec cut on the frame, etc.

Worst case it could eventually lead to accelerated wear on the lever, so keep an eye for cracks, bending, or anything else that is actual moving of metal. Otherwise, chalk it up to character and enjoy your pistol.

JV_
03-04-2013, 12:58 PM
The ding above the decock lever is normal, people have been complaining about it for a while now (over at Sig Forum). Some folks put a small washer to space the lever out from the frame a bit, so it doesn't hit it.

Both my 226 and 229 had it, I didn't notice any side effects from it.

JV_
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Here: http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8750062313