PDA

View Full Version : RMR on carbines

DocGKR
03-03-2013, 02:24 AM
Pat McNamara turned me onto using an RMR as a primary carbine optic.
http://www.tridentconcepts.org/alumni/Portals/0/NTForums_Attach/133195191071.jpg

While I have been well served by Aimpoints for many years, since my accident in 2009, the Aimpoint dots now appear as misshapen blobs to my damaged vision, especially when using a 4x magnifier. In contrast the 3.5 MOA RMR06 dot is crisp. At 100 yds, it perfectly fits into the center of an SR1 target. The RMR06 mated to an RM34 mount makes for a very low profile optic. Hopefully LaRue will eventually get around to making an RMR mount for the AR15.

http://www.tridentconcepts.org/alumni/Portals/0/NTForums_Attach/13319523554.jpg

Tamara
03-03-2013, 08:10 AM
I feel like such an uncritical fangirl nuthugger for squeeing a little bit when I noticed he's rocking the same BCM upper I am. :o

Dan_S
03-03-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm liking this idea more and more...

With my issues with Aimpoints (vision-related, not quality of the Aimpoint related) I see either an RMR or a 1-4 powered optic in my future....

JHC
03-03-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm liking this idea more and more...

With my issues with Aimpoints (vision-related, not quality of the Aimpoint related) I see either an RMR or a 1-4 powered optic in my future....

My vision has profound issues with Aimpoint dots also. The RMR is better and I'd choose it before an Aimpoint due to that. But the TA44 was perfect and when I got a deal on one for $450 with a Larue QD mount I had to go that route to try it awhile. It's not like I'm a door kicker or anything.

This looks like a pretty slick setup.

orionz06
03-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Not sure why this took so long to happen. It's been on shotguns before, along with other optics. Seems like a decent lightweight option for sure.

LOKNLOD
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Not sure why this took so long to happen. It's been on shotguns before, along with other optics. Seems like a decent lightweight option for sure.

Because the T1/H1 is just so good that there just isn't much effort to look elsewhere for many folks, especially given the price levels and support for mounting.

I'd love to try one of these out on my SBR.

jmjames
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Very, very timely for me. I was going to order another H1 in the next few weeks. Aimpoints look fuzzy to me, but I thought this was normal until recently... I'll give the RMR a try!

Thanks!

J.Ja

jmjames
03-12-2013, 10:48 PM
The RMR06 arrived today, I combined it with the RM33 mount to put on a VZ 58 (which should make a lot of items from a recent Facebook conversation more clear to some in this thread... :D). I'm comparing it to a 2 MOA H1, and I think that the RMR is MUCH less fuzzy to me. I have astigmatism and light sensitivity (too many years in front of cheap computer monitors), and while the RMR still looks fuzzy on any setting bright enough for me to have that immediate "pick up" as soon as the gun is brought up, it is not nearly as bad as the H1 is for me. I also note that it weighs about 2 oz less (I know, it's only 2 oz, but I'm trying to make this gun as light as possible) than the H1. Another thing I've noticed with the H1, is that on the brightness setting I like which works well for dark, indoor lighting, and WML lighting, I get a "crown" inside the tube, I don't have that on the RMR. The downsides I'm seeing without having fired the gun with it on, is that I can't get a cover for it (there are now covers for the H1), and pushing the brightness buttons is much more work than the Aimpoint knob.

After I get some real time with it, I may consider selling my H1 and getting the RMR on my shotgun too, just because of the improvement in the fuzziness.

J.Ja

jmjames
03-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Also of note, the RMR on a RM33 mount barely clears an Elzetta ZRX mount. That lets you put a light pretty high up, with very little weight. I've got an Inforce 6VX on there, the combined weight with batteries, mounts, and RMR is under 7 oz.

J.Ja

https://qoy8qq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y1piVqzVulWet2HaRgAXl4BlyjinI728lI7AsQjFS0B11uDZfl zAkf3yGrnzPhq9xde4zcmRtaTfXcdu7fXlLVSKZZitMnD0tUG/Justin's%20Lumia%20920_20130313_002.jpg?psid=1

65k10
03-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Anyone entertained the idea of using a dual illuminated RMR on a carbine? This would be going on a lightweight AR that won't be shot more than 200 yards, so while I think the 7 MOA dot would work, I worry it will still be too big.

Dan_S
03-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Anyone entertained the idea of using a dual illuminated RMR on a carbine? This would be going on a lightweight AR that won't be shot more than 200 yards, so while I think the 7 MOA dot would work, I worry it will still be too big.

I used a Trijicon RX01 with a 6 minute dot.

That dot size was larger than I would like (i.e., large enough to be nearly impractical to me).

My last optic was an Aimpoint Micro with the 2 minute dot, and that was an excellent dot size. At this point, I really wouldn't consider putting a red dot on a carbine that was larger than 4 minutes, for sure.

Jay
03-18-2013, 09:11 PM
I have been very strongly considering picking up one of these for my HD shotgun purely due to the size of most of these dots, but have been hesitant out of concern for battering the thing to death from recoil, this may assuage those fears.