PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom of having a second identical pistol for training

Mark
03-02-2013, 01:28 PM
After going through many many options for a carry/duty gun I have once again (and I think finally) settled on the M&P .40 as my go to primary gun. Fortunately for me my department issues the M&P so the first one is free. I am now thinking about selling off some guns I won't be using anymore and picking up an M&P compact for off duty use. I was also kicking around the idea of buying a second full size 40 and using one of the guns for all/practice training and using the other only for carry. I know I'm unlikely to ware out either but I like the idea of one being low round count. What do you guys think?

Kyle Reese
03-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Mark,
If you're issued an M&P 40 for work, I'd suggest a spare one in the same configuration. Magazine and holster commonality aside, you get the added benefit of same grip length, etc. A full sized M&P can be concealed almost as easily as a compact model with proper holster and attire selection.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Nephrology
03-02-2013, 02:02 PM
After going through many many options for a carry/duty gun I have once again (and I think finally) settled on the M&P .40 as my go to primary gun. Fortunately for me my department issues the M&P so the first one is free. I am now thinking about selling off some guns I won't be using anymore and picking up an M&P compact for off duty use. I was also kicking around the idea of buying a second full size 40 and using one of the guns for all/practice training and using the other only for carry. I know I'm unlikely to ware out either but I like the idea of one being low round count. What do you guys think?

Yes. That is definitely a good idea.

I have the G26, G19, G17 and just about the only other 9mm pistol I want is another G19. They compliment each other well. I think you will be happy with the back up gun and the off duty combo. Set them up all the same as well - same trigger components, same night sights, etc.

and if it wasn't clear, you should get both the 2nd M&P40 and the M&P40c as well. I do not know your build or climate but I find it very helpful to have a smaller pistol when it gets warmer out.

CCT125US
03-02-2013, 02:28 PM
A second identical gun is a great idea, as well as a third. I had to send my P30 back, due to a broken sear spring. When my wife informed me that "my" spare gun was in reality her's, I had to go buy my official 2nd gun. But then the slide was cracked by the sight installer...... Welcome to the money pit of shooting I guess.

KeeFus
03-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Very good idea. When we switched to the mid-size .45 M&P and the Safariland 6360 holster i bought a M&P FS 9mm along with Safariland ALS holsters for both. Keeping it simple will help with muscle memory and keep you familiar with your gear enough that switching between the pistols is almost a non-existent learning curve.

MD7305
03-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Wise. Now that my Department decided on Glock 22s I've thinned my herd and now only focus on two identical G22s to match my incoming duty G22. One for on-duty, one for off-duty and one in reserve. I find its helpful that all my mags and holsters work with all my pistols, plus the training on one carries over to the others. Streamlining was the best decision, I've noticed significant improvement simply from making myself focus on one platform. It's been challenging, but fun, forcing myself to carry a Glock 22 everywhere. My coworkers are amazed how well a large pistol like a G22 can be concealed with the proper gear. Fear not the guy with only one gun, fear the guy with mulitple copies of the same gun;)

jon volk
03-02-2013, 07:10 PM
I went that route. The 2nd gen is the wife's.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/jonvolk/family_zps036f148f.jpg

JodyH
03-02-2013, 07:52 PM
With the current ammo situation I've moved beyond just having a second identical pistol, to having a third identical (or as close as possible) pistol but in a different caliber.
I was content with having two H&K P2000 9mm's, until my ammo stash started running out and replacement prospects are looking bleak for the near future.
Now I added a HK45C since .45 ammo is somewhat easier to find at the moment.
:cool:

David Armstrong
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
I take a slightly different tack. I used the full-size gun for on-duty but my second gun/off-duty gun was the compact. 1911/LW Commander, Glock 17/Glock 19, for example. Nothing wrong with a 3rd copy, but for me I found it better to buy ammo and training than another identical gun.

Chuck Haggard
03-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I actually think three is best for a dedicated gun carrier, so getting two to start is a good idea.

One for carry, one to wear out in training, one in the safe that is tested and known to work and waits. If you carry and shoot your guns then one day you will wear one out or break something, and you may have to use your gun some day, which means that gun is in evidence for an unknown period of time.

Clyde from Carolina
03-05-2013, 02:58 PM
I actually think three is best for a dedicated gun carrier, so getting two to start is a good idea.

One for carry, one to wear out in training, one in the safe that is tested and known to work and waits. If you carry and shoot your guns then one day you will wear one out or break something, and you may have to use your gun some day, which means that gun is in evidence for an unknown period of time.

This makes an awful lot of sense; the base three to be augmented by as many spares as wallet/OCD permit/require. :-)

JMS
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
I had a rear sight just up and snap off of a pistol last week.

Thankfully, until I can replace that sight, I have a backup gun to use. :thumbsup:

Nephrology
03-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I had a rear sight just up and snap off of a pistol last week.

Thankfully, until I can replace that sight, I have a backup gun to use. :thumbsup:

What model sight/pistol?

JMS
03-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Ameriglo SW-201 on an M&P9fs. 2nd set of them, actually; the first set was sent back because the painted disc surrounding the trit vial was separating. This time, the rear just snapped off during a firing string. I find that...undesirable..., and don't think I'll be getting a 3rd set...

This was on my newer, #2 gun. Warrens are on my primary pistol, I'll just make the two match, and have done with it....but I'm thinking about a set of Heinies (ledge, straight-8), if only because the name makes me giggle. :p

BUT....stuff like that happens when you shoot; things BREAK, hence why having a duplicate gun is a good idea...

Jhp147
03-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I kept a second duty holster/rig for a 3914 that backed up my 5904 years ago. Not the same gun, but same controls. When I went to a .45, I bought a 4563TSW and later a 4566TSW-same everything except weight. I had both a "spare" and a light plain clothes/off-duty rolled into one, but wound up carrying the '63 all the time anyway. Same thing when I went to the M&P-a mid-size and a full sized .45, a holster that fit either and a short holster for non-uniform work. Buying two that are not quite the same but the same enough for practice works, and I can justify it to myself that way more easily than two exactly alike. I also enjoy having two of the almost-same guns to compare in recoil, etc.
I just assumed that everybody that has a G17 has a G19 and has wants a 26...for example.

vcdgrips
03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
I am late to the party and 40 plus beofre I heeded the TPD's advice below:

"I actually think three is best for a dedicated gun carrier, so getting two to start is a good idea.

One for carry, one to wear out in training, one in the safe that is tested and known to work and waits. If you carry and shoot your guns then one day you will wear one out or break something, and you may have to use your gun some day, which means that gun is in evidence for an unknown period of time."

THIS is Tactical Platnum. Just suck it up and do it and drive on knowing your hardware requirements are fullfilled.
David
www.vcdgrips.com

LSP972
03-11-2013, 09:36 AM
There is another aspect to this.

With an identical "training gun", you can do some live-fire training and not have to rush home to clean your carry piece. Dunno about you guys, but I learned very early in my career the smarts of having a not-fired-since-the-last-time-it-was-cleaned piece in your holster. I got in on a pursuit with a city unit, the pursued crashed and beat feet, and the city officer lit him up... unnecessarily, it turned out.

There was some confusion as to how many shots had been fired (no tell-tale brass on the ground in those days), and the investigating detective (from the same municipal agency) all but accused me of shooting as well. It was quite evident that my 4" M-66 had not been recently fired... nor was the 2.5" M-66 "spare" in my unit, or the Cheif on my ankle.

Nice try at covering your man, asshole, but no cigar...

Jay Cunningham
03-11-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't carry my gun until I've live fired it; I don't trust clean guns. When possible I do my cleaning and inspection at the range so I can live function test right there.

LSP972
03-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Well, there's something to be said for that... but we all should do routine function checks after cleaning, anyway; to include the "pencil test" for the striker/firing pin. That served me well over a 30 year career; and does to this day.

We are products of our experience. That night, a clean duty sidearm prevented me from getting roped into a wrongful death suit. YMMV.

Chuck Haggard
03-11-2013, 10:06 AM
This makes an awful lot of sense; the base three to be augmented by as many spares as wallet/OCD permit/require. :-)

Exactly.

I have three Glock 17s, one for duty carry that I shoot quals with at work, one I shoot the crap out of training and IDPA/USPSA, and another with one class one it, cleaned/inspected and put away. Add to that my carry G19 for off-duty and my back-up G19, a G34 just because, and a couple of G26s because they will fit on an ankle.

All of my serious pistol needs are covered by Glock 9mms and J frame .38 snubs. YMMV, but this works FAR better for me than the days when I had one of everything.

JodyH
03-11-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't carry my gun until I've live fired it; I don't trust clean guns. When possible I do my cleaning and inspection at the range so I can live function test right there.
I will test fire then Bore-Snake my carry gun.
Best of both worlds.
I know my gun works AND I have a clean feed ramp/chamber/bore.

Clyde from Carolina
03-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Exactly.

I have three Glock 17s, one for duty carry that I shoot quals with at work, one I shoot the crap out of training and IDPA/USPSA, and another with one class one it, cleaned/inspected and put away. Add to that my carry G19 for off-duty and my back-up G19, a G34 just because, and a couple of G26s because they will fit on an ankle.

All of my serious pistol needs are covered by Glock 9mms and J frame .38 snubs. YMMV, but this works FAR better for me than the days when I had one of everything.

Exactly x 2. Your set-up is remarkably similar to mine. Great minds...;)

(Plus of course the odd H&K P7 or USP .45 or Colt New Service or 1911 because they make me smile, but the major serious bases are well covered by my 9mm Glocks and J-frames...)

Kyle Reese
03-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Cleaning? What's that?:p

JodyH
03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
P2000Sk 9mm - Primary CCW, vetted and occasional match, class and range use to stay sharp.
P2000 9mm - Vetted, backup CCW, primary nightstand pistol. Rarely hits the range.
P2000 9mm - Hard use pistol, class, match and range whore. Is rebuilt regularly so it could be pressed into service if required.
HK45C .45acp - Backup all around gun for times when 9mm is hard to find (like now). As close to the P2000 in feel as you can get, but in .45.
P2000 .40 - What I plan on buying next so I have yet another caliber choice when times are hard.

All are V2 LEM, all have the same Trijicon HD sights inbound, all magazines are flat baseplate.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/20130312_084817_zps134f38bb.jpg

Up1911Fan
03-12-2013, 10:48 AM
I didn't know they were making HD's for the P2000.

JodyH
03-12-2013, 10:59 AM
I didn't know they were making HD's for the P2000.
As of the first of the year.
HK45, HK45C, P30, P2000, P2000SK, USP, USPc (http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2_hdns.php?mid=9)

I helped get the ball rolling on Trijicon HD's way back by showing one of my influential USBP academy contacts my Glock Ameriglo Hackathorns.
He made a few inquiries (on USBP academy letterhead) to Trijicon about HD's for the P2000 (USBP duty pistol).
I played with prototypes several months ago but didn't want to jinx things by bragging about it.
You can go back in the PistolForum archives and see where I hinted at good things to come for P2000's.

deeHKman
03-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Got this from Cross Creek a few day's ago. The HK45c i shoot as well as any fullsized which is nice.
Carried in a Milt Spark's VMII. 230gr GoldDot's@~21ft.....love my HK's!!!
http://imageshack.us/a/img26/1416/015dde.jpg

MRW
04-01-2013, 03:40 PM
With the current ammo situation I've moved beyond just having a second identical pistol, to having a third identical (or as close as possible) pistol but in a different caliber.
I was content with having two H&K P2000 9mm's, until my ammo stash started running out and replacement prospects are looking bleak for the near future.
Now I added a HK45C since .45 ammo is somewhat easier to find at the moment.

I agree with having a duplicate of your carry/issue gun. I also agree with the above sentiment. I picked up a HK P2000 (v2) in .40 so I had another pistol identical to my carry gun except for a difference in caliber. I can't find 9mm in my area but for some reason .40 S&W is easier to find. I still have a pistol that fits the holsters for my 9mm and the trigger is the same. I can get some practice in even if the recoil is different. I also can transition between carry pistols with confidence.

I did the same thing when issued a G22. I had a G17 as a practice/off duty carry. The recoil impulse was different but I still saw benefit in practicing with a different caliber as along as the pistol is set up the same way between calibers.

FotoTomas
04-04-2013, 07:03 AM
I am a firm believer in "One is none and two is one." as well as "A pair and a spare.".

The agency issues a SIG 229R DAK 9mm with SIG factory night sights. I recently purchased a personal copy of a SIG 229R DAK for off duty, competition and training. I also purched three caliber conversion kits for it. A 9mm kit, a .22 kit and a spare .357 SIG barrel for the .40 slide. I have 6 12 round magazines for the .357/.40 version, 3 10 rounders for the .22 and 8 13 round 9mm magazines.

The new to me 229 is outfitted with the 9mm slide with factory night sights and is now my duplicate training, competition, off duty pistol. I am well set up for the time being. Even ammo concerns are somewhat covered with the multiple calibers. Looking for another 229R DAK to add to the mix when funds allow.

When I retire in the next few years I plan on selling off the SIGs and going back to a similar system in the Glock platform. That is where my heart is but for now I will simplify my training and liability exposure with the duty gun. Sold off my trio of Glock 26's to fund the SIG purchases.

Still keep the Kahr PM9 in my pocket and will likely get a spare for that piece as well. Need to sell off some more stuff.

LSP972
04-05-2013, 09:17 AM
...for now I will simplify my training and liability exposure with the duty gun. .

A wise man.

Would that all LE "professionals" take the same mindset. But how many times have I suggested this (buy a personal weapon exactly like the issued one, for practice/hard times/whatever) and been looked at like I had lost my mind?

Ditto having a quality personal flashlight... that uses batteries. When we began issuing Stingers, I told my guys they had better hang onto to their SureFire 6Ps and G2s. But some of them poo-pooed that notion and sold them.

Comes Katrina... and they are posted away from ANY source of electricity (many were posted far away from their units) and when their Stingers died -in less than an hour- the crying, wailing, and gnashing of teeth began. There's nothing quite like being on St. Charles Street in downtown New Orleans, in pitch blackness, and the only sound you hear is sporadic gunfire and Adidas high-top felony flyers hitting the pavement.

Whatever. Not my dog anymore. But it is certainly refreshing to see that some cops are thinking about this sort of stuff.