PDA

View Full Version : How many shirts have you ruined through CCW?

dookie1481
04-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Just curious. I'm about to start buying 5-packs of Hanes T-shirts for my normal clothing. I'm getting sick of this shit.

SecondsCount
04-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Just curious. I'm about to start buying 5-packs of Hanes T-shirts for my normal clothing. I'm getting sick of this shit.

What do you mean by ruin? Tearing? Stains?

I had 1500 rounds straight without cleaning on my Les Baer 1911 when my wife asked me what the black stain was on the right hand side of my shirt. I now try to keep the carry gun a little cleaner.

DocGKR
04-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Very few.

David
04-18-2011, 01:47 AM
No ruined shirts, I do tend to fray a spot on my pocket on my pants though from the knife and light if they have overly aggressive knurling or grip tape.

MD7305
04-18-2011, 03:22 AM
The only damage carrying has contributed to my clothing are small holes where my Sig's hammer contacts my t-shirt but this comes after years of use and is directly correlated to my belly getting "rounder" making the shirt tighter ;)

VolGrad
04-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Almost 10 years of daily carry and ZERO shirts ruined. I've stained a few in classes but never from EDC.

JDM
04-18-2011, 07:26 AM
After about a year or so, I start to get little holes in the shirt about the diameter of pencil erasers right where the grip is if I'm carrying strongside. I doesn't happen to all my shirts though, which is odd.

That said, since I've changed to AIWB, I foresee fewer ruined shirts.

To answer the question, perhaps 5 shirts in 6 years.

turbolag23
04-18-2011, 07:37 AM
none while normally carrying. i just ripped up one shirt and pant pocket during a training class though. Doing one handed slide racking off my belt and pocket.

YVK
04-18-2011, 09:20 AM
I've ruined more shirts and T-shirts by sticking an uncapped ball pen upside down into a chest pocket.

VolGrad
04-18-2011, 09:36 AM
I've ruined more shirts and T-shirts by sticking an uncapped ball pen upside down into a chest pocket.

My downfall is eating salsa. My wife laughs at me and usually tells me I should just take off my shirt to eat salsa. It's easier on the laundry and she gets to look at my ...... well, OK it's all about the laundry. :(

dookie1481
04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I bought a few new shirts about 3 weeks ago, and two of them already have holes from my rear sight and my spare magazine.

VolGrad
04-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I bought a few new shirts about 3 weeks ago, and two of them already have holes from my rear sight and my spare magazine.

Not just asking this of you dookie but what exactly are you guys doing to tear up these shirts so quickly .... or at all. Second part question, how many times have you worn each of these shirts in 3 weeks? That's a serious question.

I find the rear sight on my GLOCKs (Ameriglo all black serrated face, with ledge front edge) to be a bit sharp against bare skin but have NEVER had one tear a shirt.

Am I doing something wrong?

Seriously, that isn't trying to be a smartass. I just don't understand all the wear and tear folks seem to be getting. Is this from just EDC or from training in the shirts with repeated presentations?

JDM
04-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Not just asking this of you dookie but what exactly are you guys doing to tear up these shirts so quickly .... or at all. Second part question, how many times have you worn each of these shirts in 3 weeks? That's a serious question.

I find the rear sight on my GLOCKs (Ameriglo all black serrated face, with ledge front edge) to be a bit sharp against bare skin but have NEVER had one tear a shirt.

Seriously, that isn't trying to be a smartass. I just don't understand all the wear and tear folks seem to be getting. Is this from just EDC or from training in the shirts with repeated presentations?

I get the holes from leaning against a hard surface, like a chair back. The cloth gets pinched between the hard surface, and the pistol grip. Holes.

JV_
04-18-2011, 05:24 PM
I prefer thicker polo shirts. I have a very simplified wardrobe, I wear the same thing everywhere all the time .... some type of non-jean pants and a polo. My stuff gets worn out for a variety of reasons, CCW guns have never caused it.

dookie1481
04-18-2011, 09:12 PM

I've worn the shirt 3-4 times. I think it's from the shirt being pinched between a sharp point (sight, corner of baseplate) and a hard surface as stated above.

VolGrad
04-19-2011, 05:48 AM
I think it's from the shirt being pinched between a sharp point (sight, corner of baseplate) and a hard surface as stated above.
Maybe I'm just not active enough. :p

orionz06
04-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I have torn 2 or 3 good shirts on the summer time, mostly because it was 95 degrees and I still chose to shoot. What was happening was my shirts were getting damp and no longer moving as easily, as a result the sights and tail of the gun tore the shirts.

ETA: Correction, the above was from training, not carrying alone. I have had no issues with my clothes from carrying, but you need to be conscious of the gun texture and what will happen is the shirt is drug against it. This is also a good reason to have the correct amount of sweatguard on the gun.

SLG
04-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Pretty much zero from CCW.

ToddG
04-19-2011, 07:47 AM
I have a significant number of undershirts/t-shirts that have been ripped by sharp (usually Warren) sights. Cost of doing business.

Rverdi
04-19-2011, 08:35 AM
I've had a whole lot less clothing damage since I began carrying aiwb. Carrying iwb behind the hip caused many small holes from sharp sights and hammers and many ripped undershirts. I also found the end of the holster would eventually wear thru my jeans in about the same spot. My guess is that all that damage was caused my the gun and holster being pressed between me and whatever I sat down on.
I've never worried about it a bit, as Todd properly point out, it's just the cost of doing business.

Occam's Razor
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
I've ruined a number of dress shirts carrying in a suit. That's actually a small part of the reason I carry Glocks now. 1911's do have a tendency to leave some nice oil stains. On all my suits I've had the tailor add fabric on the right side because of pistol wear. It's a common practice actually.

SmokeJumper
04-21-2011, 01:49 AM
My t-shirts that I wear in the summer tend to get a tiny hole right around the end of the slide/rear sight area. I thought it was only when carrying IWB but I've noticed it on some t-shirts since AIWB carrying as well. Not too big a deal, I just get some new shirts for summer wear, doesn't seem to happen on winter attire. The most damage seems to be on my pockets from knife on one side and my SureFire light clipped on the other side.

Frank B
04-21-2011, 03:30 AM
On all my suits I've had the tailor add fabric on the right side because of pistol wear. It's a common practice actually.
Oil strains are not an issue for me, re I prefer to carry my glock almost dry. I put only a small amount of grease on the right spots.

This is exactly what happens to me, too. Griptape and suits are not going together very well. The problem expired since I´ve added a stippling instead of griptape.

The most of my shirts are getting ruined during training sessions.