PDA

View Full Version : Broke another trs on P30.

YVK
03-01-2013, 09:46 PM
I am coming to conclusion that P30's trigger return spring is not more than 7500 rounds-durable part. I broke my first one at 5700 live rounds, didn't count dry fire then. Today I broke another one, 4250 rounds of live fire and 3500 dry fire cycles on that one. I was going with a common recommendation of preventative replacement at 10K rounds, dry fire including, and I am going to drop this to 7000 now. My gun had a trigger job by GGI, don't know if this is contributory, or I am simply toxic to these things.

JV_
03-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Square or round spring?

YVK
03-01-2013, 09:50 PM
The heavy trs, which is I believe square; too lazy to go downstairs and check.

JV_
03-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Yes, the heavy is square.

I wonder if the light/round ones have a better life.

GJM
03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
My P30 with the TLG LEM parts installed by HK, went about 20,000 rounds without any part failure, at which time I had HK do PM. I seem to recall Tom Jones has a P30 with a broken TRS.

YVK
03-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Yes, the heavy is square.

I wonder if the light/round ones have a better life.

Interesting thought, I have one, maybe I'll try it. I do think that P30 with its mile long reset should have a heavy trs, but mine is reset-reduced so maybe it won't be much of a problem.

joshs
03-01-2013, 10:33 PM
I would do a close inspection of anything that could be contacting the TRS. I could see breaking one spring with that low a cycle count, but after two I would start to suspect the gun.

CCT125US
03-01-2013, 10:37 PM
I am on a PM schedule of 12K pulls. Translates to 4K live and 8K dry. The left side of the sear spring broke and caused hammer follow. So that is now on a PM schedule as well. Just need to get ahold of some spares.

GJM
03-01-2013, 10:48 PM
YVK and I have had an ongoing conversation the last few months about my contention that you need a shooter, that gets the bulk of your practice, and a very low round count, identically configured carry pistol, that gets verified reliable and then shot sparingly. Between dry and live fire, I think many of us are putting a lot more rounds and presses on our pistols than was common in past years.

Up1911Fan
03-01-2013, 11:01 PM
YVK and I have had an ongoing conversation the last few months about my contention that you need a shooter, that gets the bulk of your practice, and a very low round count, identically configured carry pistol, that gets verified reliable and then shot sparingly. Between dry and live fire, I think many of us are putting a lot more rounds and presses on our pistols than was common in past years.

Agreed. I do all of my dry fire and around 85% of my live fire with a G19 set up the same as the one I carry.

ToddG
03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Without seeing exactly what you're doing, I'll simply say that I've found it's quite easy to damage the spring during the installation process. It only take a small nick or indent in the spring to effectively cut through a third of its diameter, if you think about it.

Having said that, I am a big believer that it's far better to replace springs too often than not often enough. If 7,500 works for you, then do 7,500 rounds. The cost of a lifetime supply of the springs will still be less than what you probably paid for lunch the last time you went out.

SecondsCount
03-02-2013, 12:01 AM
I have never replaced the one on mine and it is over 10K rounds. Since I purchased it used I am not sure of the exact round count.

One thing I make sure is to put a drop of oil on the spring every time I clean the gun, which is about every 1,500 rounds.

Spr1
03-02-2013, 07:22 AM
I believe that using a needle nose plier to install the spring is likely to nick the surface which creates a stress riser, which will be where the crack will start.
A modified 10-8 plastic tool to press the spring down and forward simultaneously, and a 3/32 drift for alignment, allow for a very fast and risk free way to install the spring.

That said, I am at the 10k press replacement interval after having the factory installed one break a little over 11k presses.

I also have a "beater", that while it gets lovingly maintained, gets most all of the range work.

LorenzoS
03-02-2013, 11:50 AM
A modified 10-8 plastic tool to press the spring down and forward simultaneously...

I'd appreciate a picture of the 10-8 tool you modified. I did struggle with installing a P30 TRS.

JV_
03-02-2013, 12:01 PM
I'd appreciate a picture of the 10-8 tool you modified. I did struggle with installing a P30 TRS.

Just cut a V in to the tip of a pop-sickle stick. Trim the width as needed.

Spr1
03-02-2013, 01:51 PM

All it takes is to narrow the width of the wedge shaped end to fit into the trigger recess. I used a grinding wheel to narrow both sides of the tool. 30 seconds.....

JodyH
03-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Without seeing exactly what you're doing, I'll simply say that I've found it's quite easy to damage the spring during the installation process. It only take a small nick or indent in the spring to effectively cut through a third of its diameter, if you think about it.
I was just about to say something similar.
Needle-nose pliers are not the right tool for the job.
Any scratch or nick on the spring and I throw it away.
I use a nylon punch and a few tricks to get the springs in, do not get in a hurry and do not use tools that can scratch the spring.