PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon HD installation on P30..help

BobR
02-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Just got Trijicon HD sights and would like to install on P30. Currently running stock rear, Dawson fiber optic front and can't wait to get HD's put in. After removing front sight and cleaning dovetail I tried to see how HD's slid in and how far into dovetail with just finger pressure. HD front seems to not follow a parallel path. A little nervous to start tapping on sight with this misalignment (or not feeding into dovetail along a straight path). It goes in smooth, then leading edge of sight seems to veer forward, muzzle direction.

Has anyone (atraumatically!) placed these into their P30 yet? I'd love some help. I checked HK forum and couldn't find any talk on installation tips or pitfalls.

Photoluminescent paint works great, similar to stock P30 sights, when you hold a flashlight over them for 2-3 seconds. Installed same sights in G19 and had to check it out in the dark.

Thanks for any help,

Spr1
02-28-2013, 06:58 PM
The front edge has a bulged out section used to compensate for tolerances. You have to guide/steer it in until it is in a ways. I actually used a clamping fixture I made and a drift to start the sights in and then followed with the sight install tool, however, I was constantly adjusting to ensure a straight press. I suspect that when people have these "fall out" that the initial install allowed the sights to veer to far off course, decreasing their final interference.

BobR
02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
I was able to install Dawson front sight with the aluminum punch they supply with the sight. I have decent 'do it yourself' skills. Trying to figure if I can tackle this job. Is the sight install tool similar to what Brownells sells as a SEMI-AUTO SIGHT MOVER?http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-adjusting-tools/glock-sight-mover-sku584045017-8846-21912.aspx?sku=584045017&ICID=300062

Can it be done with a brass punch & hammer if done slowly and with careful orientation? I'm thinking that's what I'll do, or should I say try. Bringing it to a gunsmith is not out of the question. I'm just used to putzing around and making it work. I almost can't wait to get these installed to, hopefully, have some great sights on a great gun.

Spr1
03-01-2013, 04:21 AM
Yes. There is an HK P series specific pusher available. Check HKParts.net to see it and then shop around to see if you can beat the price.
I have installed scores of sights on different things..... The HK is the hardest so far, and I had most of mine done at Heinie.
I made a simple fixture to trap the slide and clamp it down out of wood so that it did not have to clamp the tapered slide in the vise. It is very easy to crack the slides if you are not careful.
The sight pusher is recommended, but I did use a drift to get them started straight as mentioned above. It is sort of a three handed job to get them aligned flat and straight.
If you have any doubts at all you should probably send it to Trijicon.

BobR
03-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks, I'll check for P series pusher. I likely wouldn't use it more than once. So I may send it in, if I can get over not being able to do it myself. :(

Rear sight is much more substantial. I imagine 99% of trouble with installation is front sight?

Spr1
03-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Kind of.... It still wants to steer itself crooked.

BobR
03-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Turns out Trijicon said they can install for $30. Usual turnaround time he said was about 2 weeks. I filled out form for repair request, should have it Monday. Just have to send sights and slide. I shouldn't assume, but I hope they do a good job.

CCT125US
03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Turns out Trijicon said they can install for $30. Usual turnaround time he said was about 2 weeks. I filled out form for repair request, should have it Monday. Just have to send sights and slide. I shouldn't assume, but I hope they do a good job.

I think you made a good decision. I went through the ordeal of a cracked slide caused by a smith. After getting my entire P30 replaced, I managed to get my new Heinie Straight Eights fitted yesterday. Rear was easy, front sight caused the use of long since forgotten words.... I would do it again, since now I have the knowledge.

jhprice
05-21-2013, 08:52 PM
spend an extra few dollars have them shoot and zero it in for you.
jhp

1slow
05-21-2013, 11:30 PM
I was told that both the HK Parts P30 and HK45 sight pushers would not work with taller sights. Will they work with the Trijicon HDs ?

BobR
05-22-2013, 11:37 AM
I was told that both the HK Parts P30 and HK45 sight pushers would not work with taller sights. Will they work with the Trijicon HDs ?

I sent it to Trijicon and they did a great job.