PDA

View Full Version : Appleseed rifle package

peterb
02-28-2013, 02:44 PM
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ltr-marlin.html

Marlin has just introduced a new version of the 795 .22LR semi-auto all set up for an Appleseed shoot with a sling and good iron sights.

I know there's a vastly bigger aftermarket for the 10/22, but how do the two compare out of the box?

TGS
02-28-2013, 03:17 PM
I had a Marlin 60 as a kid. As I understand, the only difference is that the 60 is tube fed while the 795 is box fed.

If such is true, you can plan on at least a 10% stoppage rate. :( The most reliable ammo I found for it were CCI Longs, and it would still suffer some sort of stoppage at least once in a full mag.

littlejerry
02-28-2013, 03:58 PM
I had a Marlin 60 as a kid. As I understand, the only difference is that the 60 is tube fed while the 795 is box fed.

If such is true, you can plan on at least a 10% stoppage rate. :( The most reliable ammo I found for it were CCI Longs, and it would still suffer some sort of stoppage at least once in a full mag.

It is a mag fed model 60.

A roommate of mine bought one a few years ago. It was a good rifle. Very reliable, accurate, and a decent trigger. I prefered it to the 1022. Had an odd balance though. Super heavy barrel with a very light stock.

Chemsoldier
02-28-2013, 04:13 PM
I personally prefer the Ruger, but to buy an out of the box LTR is outstanding. Especially for loaner rifles. Its a lot easier for gun clubs to get decent training rifles now that they dont have to build them themselves. Happy to see it.

Dan_S
02-28-2013, 08:25 PM
I worked with the Appleseed Project a couple years ago as a staff member. Out of the shoots that I was at, both as a shooter and later as an instructor, I don't recall ever seeing a Ruger 10/22 go down so badly that it had to be pulled off the line.

I'm no Ruger fan, but I don't believe that Marlin can make a .22 that is as reliable as the 10/22.

With my very limited experience with the Marlin Model 60, I wouldn't put in in the "recommended" category, especially for a new shooter.

ACP230
03-01-2013, 09:04 AM
I had a Glenfield M70 (cheap stock Marlin) years ago. My brother has it now.
It was a good rifle, quite accurate, and I don't recall a lot of jams/stoppages.

I own a couple of scoped 10/22s that have been used at Appleseed shoots. But the Marlin LTR interests me.
I may try one sometime. There are a couple of guns in front of it at the moment, however.

The Wolfhound
04-04-2013, 07:08 PM
While I will acknowledge that you will pass a 10-22 on to your grandchildren. I find the Marlin a better shooter straight out of the box. The 10-22 has more accessories but as a training rifle the Marlin is a better choice. The LTR is fully equipped with spare mag, Mil type sling and Tech Sights. It should give you 10 good years. It will likely wear out long before the Ruger. I have seen plenty of both on the Appleseed line. A tricked out Ruger can outshoot it but not a "Jane".

Tamara
04-06-2013, 01:30 PM
I've got a stainless Papoose, which is basically the same rifle with a take-down feature. I've put... I'm not going to lie and say I keep a logbook on it... but many, many thousands of rounds through it. Even the arrival of the M&P15/22 didn't completely supplant the Papoose as a rimfire long gun, simply because the little Marlin is so easy to get to and from with.

The folding rear sight leaf is a little broke-dick for something that's supposed to be slid into a sleeve after breaking it down, but that shouldn't be a problem on the non-takedown gun with Tech Sights.

It was a little annoying to get apart for cleaning back in the summer of '09. Someday I think I'll clean it again, though.