PDA

View Full Version : AIWB aside, what are the best IWB you've used?

part-time shooter
04-17-2011, 07:55 AM
I carry behind the strong side hip around 4-4:30 depending on my belt loops. I'm looking for concealment 1st, comfort 2nd, and everything else is a distant 3rd. For both a full size and compact M&P 9mm if something exists, the mid and compact M&P 45s are exactly the same size except for the grip length so that's been a nonissue but I'm looking for a 9mm "set" now and would like to hear opinions on traditional IWBs.

What makes a good IWB and what are some of the things I need to avoid like the plague? Please feel free to name names so I don't make stupid purchasing decisions and get exactly what I don't want. I'd prefer to spend my money on as few holsters as possible and not accumulate another box of stuff that doesn't work for me. Been there done that a few too many times already.

Thanks!

JodyH
04-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Kramer #3 horsehide.
Hands down the best traditional IWB I've ever used.
Carried a Glock 17 in one for years until I made the switch to AIWB.

YVK
04-17-2011, 09:14 AM
I find that "one size fits all" type of advice doesn't always work with holsters, even from best makers. Body shape, subtleties of holster position, peculiarities of draw stroke etc. come in play often enough to make the difference between different users. I have two Milt Sparks holsters, Summer Special for a 1911 and Versa Max for Glock 19. SS is supposed to be classic, and I can't stand it. The VM I found absolutely outstanding, and recommend it highly.
Another observation is that not all holster makers have a feel for particular pistol, especially not very common ones. There is a reason why DelFatti holsters are highly valued by HK P7 series users. It is a difficult pistol to make a good holster for, and Matt's holster makes it disappear (DelFatti gets my highest recommendation too). I also have an Alessi holster for it, and it never broke in after 2 years...
In kydex, I still believe Raven makes the best stuff; I have two of their holsters and they conceal very well, IWB-OWB convertible, and adjustable in regards to height and cant - what else does one need?

SLG
04-17-2011, 09:16 AM
On the cheap end of the scale, the standard Blade0tech it hard to beat.

At the other end of the spectrum, 5-Shot, Garrity, The Leather Arsenal, Del Fatti, and a few others are tops.

Rverdi
04-17-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't carry traditional behind the hip iwb anymore, but when I did, I let a bunch of expensive Holsters sit and used a kydex DeSantis Scorpion. Comfortable, great concealment, fast and durable. Also easy to find on the web and reasonably priced.

KevH
04-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Alessi PCH

Frank B
04-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Alex Nossar´s Stingray is the best so far. The thinnest and most comfortable rig I ever had.
Second place goes to the Black Ops Pro from Pure Kustom (14 days turn around time).
This is maybe changing as soon as I get my order from 5Shot Leather.

I forgot to add my Safariland #27 for AIWB or even every other spot, re the adjustable belt hook. Its made from a leather like laminate and unbreakable so far. Best thing is , you get a great holster for a very competitive price tag.

VolGrad
04-17-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm a kydex guy ...

Comp-Tac CTAC
Personal Security Holsters pancake style
Raven pancake style
Secret City Weaponeers K-25 (not on his site so check M4C user Seraph)

IF I had to choose leather ...
TT Gunleather Mike's Special with reinforced top
Milt Sparks VMII

YVK
04-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Alessi PCH

I owned one of those and it was a very good holster.

JDM
04-17-2011, 02:27 PM
The standard bladetech kydex job that is in inventory was and is the best strong side IWB I've used.

TGS
04-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Observations I've made:

1) Offset belt clips: I think having the mounting options offset is important as it distributes the weight out farther and is more stable. I found with holsters having the belt mounts on the holster body itself bounced around when worn behind 3 O'Clock. I say get clips instead of loops just because they're more convenient, but watch out for those slender kydex clips as they break easily.

2) Kydex over leather. My first couple holsters were leather, with the latter half being decent leather(UBG Holsters). It's not going to stay nice if you use it, so keep that in mind. Random things you'll do throughout the day will take it's toll very quickly compared to a kydex holster(I noticed wear in 3 months of using the UBG leather). In addition, the leather will be adversely affected by sweat. I've also found my kydex holsters(CCC and Comptac) to have much better retention than my leather. If you don't wear an undershirt, you may want to consider getting a leather comfort layer glued onto the kydex body so it doesn't chafe you. Not everyone has that concern, though.

JodyH
04-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I found the opposite to be true re: kydex vs. leather.
I went to the horsehide Kramer after breaking multiple kydex holsters (Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac) in daily use and really tearing them up in groundfighting training.
My Kramer saw three years of daily use and still looks new.
All my leather IWB's are horsehide for the sweat resistance and they are usually thinner than cowhide as well.

vcdgrips
04-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Kydex-Blade Tech
Leather- either Kramer (horse hide) or Leather Arsenal (cowhide)

TGS
04-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I found the opposite to be true re: kydex vs. leather.
I went to the horsehide Kramer after breaking multiple kydex holsters (Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac) in daily use and really tearing them up in groundfighting training.
My Kramer saw three years of daily use and still looks new.
All my leather IWB's are horsehide for the sweat resistance and they are usually thinner than cowhide as well.

I haven't done any ground fighting with it, so that's a good observation to take in. I'm guessing your gun wasn't in the holster? I cant see how the holster would break with the gun in it. Likewise, I would think the leather would lose it's rigidity doing that stuff as well, and just about destroy it's retention completely if you were ground fighting with the gun out of the holster.

What parts of the kydex holsters broke?

JodyH
04-17-2011, 10:02 PM
I haven't done any ground fighting with it, so that's a good observation to take in. I'm guessing your gun wasn't in the holster? I cant see how the holster would break with the gun in it. Likewise, I would think the leather would lose it's rigidity doing that stuff as well, and just about destroy it's retention completely if you were ground fighting with the gun out of the holster.

What parts of the kydex holsters broke?
Nope, gun in the holster (actually a blue gun) the majority of the time.
After repeated impacts the body of the holsters would crack at stress points such as holes and distinct mold lines like the trigger guard and sight channel.
Comp-Tac was horrible about breaking the belt loops and clips, I probably broke 6 sets before I tossed the holster in the trash.

SmokeJumper
04-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Being more inclined for IWB carry, I have go with my all time favorite(s) Milt Sparks SS2 and VMII in horsehide along with my IBS from 5Shot leather. For OWB carry Milt Sparks 55BN or Raven Concealment. I've not had much success with Kydex in IWB carry other than my Shaggy. Leather is definitely where its at for my carry needs.

DocGKR
04-18-2011, 02:14 AM
For IWB, I like the Milt Sparks Heritage #1, Kramer IWB #2, Alessi PCH, CCC Looper, along with the Fricke Archangel/Seraphim.

gringop
04-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I like Sparks leather but bought all of mine before the wait time went crazy and the quota system was setup. I favor the Executive Companion over the VM2 because of the clearance around the grip is greater with the Exec. With the wider (but more stable) clips of the VM2, I have to thread my fingers between the holster and the grip. With the Exec I get a full fast grip.

If I ever need another holster I'll probably try a Kramer IWB 3. Not because Sparks is bad but because of the wait times. None of my 6 Sparks holsters has had problems in 15 years of carry. The horsehide one is pretty much indestructible.

Gringop

skyugo
04-18-2011, 08:59 PM
currently using an atomic dog kydex holster IWB for my glock 19. I carry at about 2:30. i sent him a pic of how i wanted the gun to sit, he made it happen. He included his unique behind the belt kydex hooks, which are secure, but slow on and off, so i put a standard set of comp-tac minotaur hooks on instead.
it rides at just the right height, it's compact, and has just a touch of cant to facilitate gripping the gun from such a low position.

close second is the minotaur neutral cant i used with my p7. I probably should have just gone with a standard minotaur though, as i find a bit of cant helps both concealment and initial grip of the gun.

LtDave
04-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Another vote for the Alessi PCH.

David Armstrong
04-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Kramer #3 horsehide.
Hands down the best traditional IWB I've ever used.
Carried a Glock 17 in one for years until I made the switch to AIWB.
Another plug for the Kramer. Mine is one of the prototypes that led to the #3 in its final form (mine sits a bit lower). Lots of years including back when I carried a G17 in it every day and it still is as good as the day I got it.

Slavex
04-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Milt Sparks VMII. Super comfortable and hides full size guns with no issues. Easy to draw from as well.

Jason Burton
04-20-2011, 10:35 PM
I’ve always preferred something along the lines of the Nelson Summer Special design... whether it be in the form of a Sparks Summer Special, 5 Shot IBS, or Del Fatti ISP-NR. All excellent and functional.

I’ve tried and used other designs such as the Alessi PCH (a great rig that I used for a good while) and the Sparks VM-2 (a smart design and well made holster, but not one I could ever get used to) but I always go back to the basic S/S design.

David Pennington
04-26-2011, 04:16 PM
It's very, very gun and build dependent. What works great for a Government Model won't always work great for a G19.

That said, I've had great luck with the Sparks Executive Companion, a couple of different Alessi's, Mad Dog's Gun Gloves, Custom Concealment, and, as mentioned by others, the Safariland 27. I've always been a holster snob but in almost everyway the $30 Safariland 27 works just as well as the $120/6 months wait Milt Sparks.

Again, it is very gun and build dependent but more expensive doesn't allways mean better.

Rappahannock
04-27-2011, 07:15 PM
I have been especially pleased with a Pitbull Tactical kydex holster. It looks like bad news but is as comfortable and secure a holster as I have experienced. I also am horrified that the age of the leather holster (at least for me) is passing.

Edited to add: David Pennington above is quite right and your milage will surely vary.

http://www.pitbulltactical.com/products/Custom-Pitbull-Holster.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/Guevera/0e274eb1.jpg

STS
04-28-2011, 02:47 PM
All time favorite is a Alessi PCH followed very, very closely by a 5 Shot IBS.

I prefer the Allesi PCH with Glocks and the IBS with the 1911.

KentF
04-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I have also been a big fan of the Milt Sparks VMII. I have one for my Browning Hi-Power and HK USP45C. The long wait times have become an issue for me now. I have a High Noon Hideaway for my HK P30, but I've been wearing it in a OWB Comp-Tac lately.

Tamara
05-12-2011, 01:34 PM
After years of carrying in a "Summer Special"-style holster (first a Galco Summer Comfort, which broke the snaps, and then a Galco "Royal Guard", which is basically the same thing in rough-out horsehide) I tried one with the loops spread out to the sides, in this case a Brommeland MaxCon V. It was very comfortable, but the unreinforced mouth bothered me, that and the fact that when I wore it to an Awerbuck class in summer time, it was starting to wet-mold to the gun from sweat.

Starting back in '08, I began using a Milt Sparks VMII in horse, and have used that holster pretty much every day for three years now; I am super impressed with its comfort and even more with its durability.

NickA
05-12-2011, 02:48 PM
MTAC and Bladetech Nano with Glocks. The MTAC is more comfortable but harder to reholster so it doesn't get used in matches/classes.
With a S&W 3913, AKJ Concealco IWB is VERY nice and an interesting design. I need to get one for the Glocks- not sure if the comfort is due to holster or the slimness of the gun.

ADKilla
06-15-2011, 06:19 AM
After acquiring the usual box of holsters over the past 20+ years, I will say my undeniable favorite is the PCH, specially modified with sewn loops. Close second is a Rusty Sherrick Rangemaster Thinman, but I prefer the split loop design of the PCH. It locks the holster in place better when coupled to a belt loop.

JV_
06-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Kramer #3 horsehide.
I also like the #3, and the #2.

fuse
06-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Comptac mtac is stupid comfortable and concealable.

DonovanM
06-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I ran a Milt Sparks VM2 for a while for my SIGs. It was comfortable and concealed well, but I didn't really like the draw. It was too far away behind my body, and if it was close enough, the cant was too much and I had to kind of twist my body around to get a proper grip. It was also too far off from my USPSA Production rig, so I went to a more straight drop OWB w/ a light attached at 2:30 or 3 instead of 4:00. Now I'm running that or AIWB.

fuse
06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
AKJ Concealco IWB is VERY nice and an interesting design. I need to get one for the Glocks- not sure if the comfort is due to holster or the slimness of the gun.

The AKJ is indeed excellent as well.

John Ralston
06-15-2011, 01:45 PM
All time favorite is a Alessi PCH followed very, very closely by a 5 Shot IBS.

I prefer the Allesi PCH with Glocks and the IBS with the 1911.

Thanks!

I use the IBS for my G19/1911/P30 - wear it usually 16 hrs a day. Comfort and concealability really depends on body type and carry position. I cary at 1:30-2:00 (not a true AIWB), which requires a bit less cant than traditional, but is very comfortable for me, and absolutely does not print.

And in reply to the OP -

You really won't get a great answer to your question though. Some will LOVE the VM-II and others hate it. Some will like a Hybrid or Kydex and others will tell you all leather. I rarely recommend a wide spaced loop rig (for many reasons, even though I offer one), but I still sell quite a few (as does Milt Sparks). I myself don't find them very comfortable and too bulky - and others will tell you the exact opposite.

dsa
06-15-2011, 08:08 PM
I have a Shaggy for my M&P and it is awesome, very comfortable and does not print with an untucked t-shirt or polo. I have a couple of 1911's and they ride in either a Milt Sparks VM II or a 5 Shot IBS. I find them both comfortable (I am 6"2" 210# 34"waist). However, it is a shame to conceal the IBS; mine is natural, rough out w/ brown loops and it is dead sexy!

ranburr
06-16-2011, 01:51 AM
VMII or the equivalent from TT gun leather.

BigT
06-16-2011, 02:14 AM
Thanks!

I use the IBS for my G19/1911/P30 - wear it usually 16 hrs a day. Comfort and concealability really depends on body type and carry position. I cary at 1:30-2:00 (not a true AIWB), which requires a bit less cant than traditional, but is very comfortable for me, and absolutely does not print.

And in reply to the OP -

You really won't get a great answer to your question though. Some will LOVE the VM-II and others hate it. Some will like a Hybrid or Kydex and others will tell you all leather. I rarely recommend a wide spaced loop rig (for many reasons, even though I offer one), but I still sell quite a few (as does Milt Sparks). I myself don't find them very comfortable and too bulky - and others will tell you the exact opposite.

Damn now I'm wondering if I've made a mistake changing my IBS order to a UL. Indecisive me, never! Well maybe sometimes though probably not okay maybe occasionally :)