PDA

View Full Version : suggested drills to use at a police dept.

Ring
02-26-2013, 10:56 AM
1st post :)
im a precision rifle instructor, but have been asked to do pistol training for the PD.
i have been tasked with helping to come up with some better training drills to get the PD to be more proficient...

in the past, they only shot 2 times a year :rolleyes:

now its 4 times.. :rolleyes:

my goal is once or twice a month...

im going to start them off with ball&dummy and work up.. shoot and move, barricades..

looking for suggestions

i was doing IPSC in the 90's, and IDPA since 2000 i think...

butler coach
02-26-2013, 12:11 PM
i know nothing, but i would check out the drill of the week post. lots of good stuff there buy people who know what the hell they are doing

Al T.
02-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Ring, I have a .pdf file of drills that might help. PM me your email address and I'll send'em. It's a larger file BTW.

ST911
02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
I've pulled a number of the drills listed here in DOTW and at the PT site for use. There are all sorts of others out there as well, and you're only limited by your own creativity beyond that.

I encouraged my troops to stop in here and do DOTW. I even offered to provide some the ammo to shoot them if they'll commit to doing it every week. No takers. :(

One thing that did create some interest is to shoot qualification tests/COFs from other agencies, especially the noteworthy agency/Qs (LAPD SWAT A/B, FAM TPC, etc). Some of the more ego-driven like being able to say "I shoot as well as...". When they don't, they have an idea of what skill area in the COF they need to work on, and may work toward that. Whatever the motivation, at least they're shooting.

ToddG
02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Working with the entire officer pool (and not just the enthusiasts & instructors) is always going to be a challenge because you're trying to teach people something they don't care about. My guess is that some people in your department are unhappy that they'll now have to shoot twice as much. :confused:

Having said that, before putting together a training plan you need a solid idea of were folks stand. Assess strengths and more importantly deficiencies. If no one in your department has ever been taught how to draw and reload WHO, for example, I'd make that a priority; not because it's common, but because it's something that's hard to figure out on your own in the heat of battle if you're the unlucky guy who has to do it.

While it's heretical to say so, I'd also shy away from too much "front sight, trigger press" work. While its important to have a basic handle on that, a few hundreds rounds of practice a year is never going to bring someone to the point where he has a good trigger pull. It's not enough to get him to use his sights subconsciously under stress. So while it might help with slow qualification courses and look good when going slow on the range, it's not actually building a skill he'll develop enough to use in a fight. I'd put more time into being familiar with handling the weapon in various situations (with a flashlight in hand, etc.) and dealing with decision-making issues. I'd incorporate some FOF so officers understand the difference between static range training -- which is skill-building -- and actual human confrontation.

SecondsCount
02-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Mrs. SC and I did a small class for a local department that was having trouble qualifying. We did some basic stuff for about an hour and then spent a little time on steel, including a plate rack. Once the competitive juices started flowing you could see the excitement grow. One of the attendees mentioned that he had forgotten how much fun it was to shoot. The group's passing numbers improved by 50%.

nwhpfan
02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Any drill for USPSA/IDPA is good for LE. No matter the reason, hitting accurate fast is what it's all about. I think too many LE agencies misunderstand the purpose of the timer and don't use them enough..or at all. It's a measure..just like A zone measures accuracy, timer measures efficiency, quickness, speed - whatever word gets them to accept it. So come up with your own departments "test"..not to be confused with a qualification, something simpler and fun. Be it a plagiarized short classifier or something you make up. Have people shoot it often to see if their improving, etc.

At my dept. we have instruction 1 time a month. In lieu of roll-call you report to the range for your class. I've suggested varies quick drills or tests and whomever is the fastest stays on the board...as the month goes on, as people report, they see who's on top and have something to aspire too.