PDA

View Full Version : .308 v 5.56 costs in today's market.

jc000
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
In all this madness, I'm wondering if we may see the "affordability" of 5.56 be less of a benefit when comparing to .308, on a more permanent basis.

I have a nice mid-length m4 on backorder for about $1300, but I've recently come across a very nice new DSA FAL locally for about $1700. I am seriously considering canceling the m4 order and was hoping to hear some thoughts from folks here.

Two big concerns steering me away from a .308 have been affordability and training opportunities. I'm finding very little 5.56 anywhere, what I am finding seems to be at best around $.70/round and I have come across some m80 for as low as $.80/round very recently. Additionally, FAL mags seem to show up all day long for around $25.

I was also concerned about being able to run a .308 in the typical carbine classes being offered, but apparently I can use the FAL in a class from a well-regarded local trainer (fpftraining).

For a lone individual looking for a defensive/GP rifle, .308 does appear to be a much more versatile caliber. With the cost benefit currently being somewhat mitigated by current events, would any of you experienced defensive carbine owners reconsider .308 for a primary rifle? 6 months ago, the 5.56 platform made a lot of sense, but this damn FAL seems to keep drawing me back in...

justintime
02-24-2013, 10:45 PM
I have been shooting my .308 a lot more recently because of the ammo scarcity issue. It seems out of the calibers I own .308 is the most prevalent next to 7.62x39. I've been finding 175 7.62x51federal gold medal match at academy on the regular (which is really odd imho) and it has been normal price. I have not seen .223 or 556 in over a month.

TGS
02-24-2013, 10:46 PM
In all this madness, I'm wondering if we may see the "affordability" of 5.56 be less of a benefit when comparing to .308, on a more permanent basis.

I have a nice mid-length m4 on backorder for about $1300, but I've recently come across a very nice new DSA FAL locally for about $1700. I am seriously considering canceling the m4 order and was hoping to hear some thoughts from folks here.

Two big concerns steering me away from a .308 have been affordability and training opportunities. I'm finding very little 5.56 anywhere, what I am finding seems to be at best around $.70/round and I have come across some m80 for as low as $.80/round very recently. Additionally, FAL mags seem to show up all day long for around $25.

I was also concerned about being able to run a .308 in the typical carbine classes being offered, but apparently I can use the FAL in a class from a well-regarded local trainer (fpftraining).

For a lone individual looking for a defensive/GP rifle, .308 does appear to be a much more versatile caliber. With the cost benefit currently being somewhat mitigated by current events, would any of you experienced defensive carbine owners reconsider .308 for a primary rifle? 6 months ago, the 5.56 platform made a lot of sense, but this damn FAL seems to keep drawing me back in...

I personally think that you can't go wrong either way, especially when the ammo availability/cost advantage is currently a mythical unicorn as you've noted.

Keep in mind that the 308 is only as versatile as the ammo you can find for it. Quality defensive ammo and even popular hunting loads might be hard to find right now.

I have not seen .223 or 556 in over a month.

I bought 280 rounds of Hornady 75gr 5.56 TAP T2 last month :D. I've found that checking the various online vendors at night time to be fruitful to some degree. Many of them get in small amounts of ammo throughout the week, but it obviously sells out quickly. I've seen stuff put up for sale on SGAmmo or ATG and it be sold within 2 hours!

jc000
02-24-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm guessing the real answer is "who knows" but I'm wondering if both 5.56 and 9mm will see a permanent cost increase now. I've been monitoring 9mm like a hawk and it's flying off the shelves (when under $.30/round) literally within a couple of minutes.

justintime
02-24-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm guessing the real answer is "who knows" but I'm wondering if both 5.56 and 9mm will see a permanent cost increase now. I've been monitoring 9mm like a hawk and it's flying off the shelves (when under $.30/round) literally within a couple of minutes.

Ironically studying supply and demand curves in school right now :eek: There definitely will be a price increase for a while until demand goes down and we either get a surplus again or at-least things equal out... and I don't see that happening for a while when companies are still selling ammo so cheap when they hit the shelves. Positive thing is, this might give the ammo companies the boost to refine machinery and increase their output which could technically make the prices lower when this all settles down? idk lol

Dan_S
02-27-2013, 04:34 PM
For me, even if there is no cost benefit to shooting 5.56 over 7.62, I'll still choose the 5.56 for my uses. I prefer a lightweight, light recoiling, semi-auto carbine. A semi-auto 7.62 doesn't fit any of those criteria.

What I've found is that if I am doing something that the 5.56 semi-auto carbine isn't appropriate for, I'll take my SAKO chambered in .243. I vastly prefer that .243 bolt gun to any 7.62/.308 gun that I've handled.

Your mileage may vary.

David Armstrong
02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
For me, even if there is no cost benefit to shooting 5.56 over 7.62, I'll still choose the 5.56 for my uses. I prefer a lightweight, light recoiling, semi-auto carbine. A semi-auto 7.62 doesn't fit any of those criteria.

What I've found is that if I am doing something that the 5.56 semi-auto carbine isn't appropriate for, I'll take my SAKO chambered in .243. I vastly prefer that .243 bolt gun to any 7.62/.308 gun that I've handled.

Your mileage may vary.
This. I've lugged around a .308 when I had to. No way I will do it again unless I have no choice.

BWT
02-28-2013, 10:49 AM
I'll give the same advice I gave my Father. After all this is said and done, do you want the gun? Or are you buying it because ammo is cheap right now? I asked him that when he was shopping for an 9mm AR.

JRB
03-04-2013, 08:22 PM
As much as I absolutely love FAL's, it is a heavy pig compared to an M4-style AR, and while accessories are available they're not nearly as abundant as accessories & parts for the AR.
Mounting modern optics on an FAL isn't nearly as easy or flexible as it is on an AR.
It's bigger, longer, and more unwieldly in 'CQB' situations unless you opt for a boutique FAL with a shorter barrel than usually issued in traditional FN-FAL/L1A1/G1 specs. But if you're a PT stud beefcake and want to be 'that guy' in a carbine class that can rock a full size battle rifle and run with the big dogs, there is certainly something to be said for that.
Being 5' 9" and 165lbs myself, for run-n-gun "social work" I vastly prefer a 5.56 because of the lighter weight, lower recoil, and faster mag changes, but I would unhesitatingly trust my life to a vetted/tested FAL.

While milsurp FAL mags are readily available NOW, they are not all created equal, and the better FAL mags such as the Steyr contract mags can be really hard to find, especially in quantity. Good AR mags will always be more available, even if they're not cheaper at the moment. Modern production FAL mags are not anywhere near the same level of quality as most modern AR mags, and that problem will only get worse as the years drag on and the 'good' FAL milsurp mags gradually disappear.

If you've got the build for it, I think a very real argument could be made for going to a 7.62 NATO rifle if you've got the inclination to do so. The 7.62 NATO is far more effective at >400 yards than 5.56, but outside of trashcanistan, I think 400+ yd engagements are a rare exception, not the rule.

Personally, I'd keep that mid-length M4 on backorder. Or, if possible, I'd check option (C) for 'both'.

HCM
03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd second option C

The FAL is very cool ( a DSA Congo Para is on my want list) but as noted above it's a dated platform, more equivalent to an A1 style AR

To get the ergos, modularity etc that compare to an M-4 in a .308 you are looking at a SCAR 17 or an AR -10 type.

jc000
03-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Well, the mid length has been shipped. Problem solved. :)