PDA

View Full Version : USP, P2000, P30 striker systems difference

Ryklys
04-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Hello,

currently we had an argument about the diffenece/similarity of the three HK pistols. The other guy tried to persuade me that USP striking system differs alot from P2000 and P30. (All of them SA/DA) That guy told me that p2000/P30 striker is kind of copy of CZ75 striker when USP is kind of SigSauer P226 copy. I do not believe in that difference, but have no possibilities to investigate the issue. Hade opportunity to disassemble P30 and it did not look any different from the USPc (I own it) to me. Any competent opinion would be appreciated.

JodyH
04-17-2011, 08:18 AM
The P-series is just a evolution of the USP series.
There is very little difference in the fire control parts.
As far as they being "copies" of another design, there are only so many ways to make a hammer fired pistol with a firing pin safety activated by the trigger bar.
Every pistol out there will be similar in design.

jslaker
04-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Hello,

currently we had an argument about the diffenece/similarity of the three HK pistols. The other guy tried to persuade me that USP striking system differs alot from P2000 and P30. (All of them SA/DA) That guy told me that p2000/P30 striker is kind of copy of CZ75 striker when USP is kind of SigSauer P226 copy. I do not believe in that difference, but have no possibilities to investigate the issue. Hade opportunity to disassemble P30 and it did not look any different from the USPc (I own it) to me. Any competent opinion would be appreciated.

I'm not really sure where your friend got that idea. They both use the same basic modular fire control system, with the biggest difference being the decocking mechanism on DA/SA variants. The USP decocks using a lever that runs through the hammer axle while the P2000 series attaches this lever directly to the sear and places it on the rear of the gun next to the hammer. They both work by tripping the sear while leaving the hammer catch and firing pin block safeties engaged.

As far as lineage goes, I wouldn't call it a copy, but I've always thought that the HK guns borrow fairly liberally from the P22x series. They use the same system of binding the slide and barrel for increased accuracy and the same large, single locking lug on the ejection port pioneered by the Sig guns (as do most modern designs at this point). The passive safety systems on both designs also look quite a bit alike; the lever that actuates the FPB safety is paired with a hammer catch that actuates in the opposite direction as the trigger is pull on both guns.

But again, the design is different enough on the whole that calling it a "copy" really isn't even close to accurate. It evolves some of the same ideas, but it also introduces some totally new ones, like the modularity of the fire control system.

As far as the CZ goes... I'm not sure what similarities your friend thinks the HK guns share with them. FWIW, I tend to think of the CZ as a pre-modern design, personally.

Ryklys
04-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Thank you gentlemen.