PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Increased Demand

ST911
02-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Increased demand is having its usual effects. For some, it means decreased QC standards. Even when QC is more optimal, increased production still means a greater number of overall rounds in which even acceptable failure rates can occur. I've had several examples of late, some more exciting than others. This example, from a range session today.

Blazer 40SW 165 FMJ, p/n 3589. ~5000rds acquired a couple of weeks ago. These three rounds were all in box #3 of the first case. The round on the left was fired in a stock gen3 G23, which went "fzzzzzzztttt" instead of bang. Bullet stayed seated in case mouth but increased OAL of cartridge. Stoppage cleared without issue. I expect to find more of these. (Primer on the right is also deformed, but not obvious in the photo.)

Availability has a quality all its own, but be careful out there folks.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MISC/BlazerPrimers.jpg

secondstoryguy
02-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Several weeks ago I got lucky and bought 500 rounds of WWB at Wally World. There were several rounds with jacked up case mouths out of the bunch which is more than I've ever seen in the past. Another weird thing is the brass was all mil-spec with the mil-headstamped and crimped primers. I have had several boxes in the past with mixed headstamp but never one with all mil headstamp.

hufnagel
02-24-2013, 12:37 PM
make sure you send CCI an email with the lot number. also see if you can find out the production date. I don't want to sound like a jerk but you're making an assumption it was a recent production run you have there that's exhibited a QC problem.

TGS
02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Several weeks ago I got lucky and bought 500 rounds of WWB at Wally World. There were several rounds with jacked up case mouths out of the bunch which is more than I've ever seen in the past. Another weird thing is the brass was all mil-spec with the mil-headstamped and crimped primers. I have had several boxes in the past with mixed headstamp but never one with all mil headstamp.

When I bought a bunch of WWB in 2010, I noted a pretty reliable rolled case neck occurrence of about 1/100 rounds.

To me, what you saw a couple weeks ago is what I'd consider normal for WWB.

MikeyC
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
WWB, tends to be trail mix ammo in my experience. Some is "mil-spec", some isn't. I've gotten some that was borderline gross as far as dirt contamination. The best guess we could come up with was that WWB was either over runs or rejects from their other product lines.

Joe Mamma
02-24-2013, 07:43 PM
make sure you send CCI an email with the lot number. also see if you can find out the production date. I don't want to sound like a jerk but you're making an assumption it was a recent production run you have there that's exhibited a QC problem.

Good point hufnagel.

Skintop911, if you tell me the lot#, I can probably figure out the production date. PM me if you want.

Joe Mamma

Mitchell, Esq.
02-24-2013, 09:23 PM
New .22lr federal acquired yesterday was better quality than 9mm umc acquired in December.

UMC = NO.

justintime
02-24-2013, 10:49 PM
I saw a guy have a squib recently using factory ammo. Kinda opened my eyes as I have never seen that happen.

ffhounddog
02-26-2013, 09:29 AM
What is bad I have shot Egyptian and Paki ammo in a Beretta and Glock and have had less issues than Winchester 9mm from 2010-2012ish.

For some odd reason 40S&W I have not had any issues in any cal.