PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun specific skill builder drills

shootist26
02-23-2013, 05:58 PM
I have been shooting the piss out of my 870 this past month. I am new to shotguns, and most of my shotgun shooting has been on my range's 10yd line against a plate rack. I brought my timer out today and did some measuring. Split time between shots (8" plates @ 10yds, all hits) is ~0.6 seconds. My combat load time (shot, combat load, shot) is ~3 seconds. Not too good I am sure, but this is my starting point.

In the meantime, what are your favorite shotgun skill builder drills? I have a class coming up this spring.

Also, some general questions:
- when combat loading and topping off the mag tube, do you keep the shotgun firmly shouldered or do you roll it into a "tuck" position (tucked underneath armpit, still in strong hand, pointed towards target)?
- when combat loading, do you go over or under the receiver?

JAD
02-23-2013, 06:35 PM
- when combat loading and topping off the mag tube, do you keep the shotgun shouldered or do you roll it into a "tuck" position?

When reloading any firearm I keep it more or less on target. With the shotgun I stay at high ready if cover permits. I think it's important to drill the move to cover as part of reloading the shotgun. This often makes keeping the muzzle on target more challenging; reminds me to get well behind cover; and reminds me why I should get off my butt and get a short shotgun. If loading the port from the sidesaddle I go over the gun, rolling it inboard. If reloading from the belt I go under. I have not completely determined whether loading from the port is really worth it. When you factor in the click-rack-ohshitclickrack, not running a shotgun dry seems about as important as not running your pistol dry.

David Armstrong
02-23-2013, 07:25 PM
If I'm putting rounds into the mag I drop the shotgun down, roll it over so the mag tube is up and load with the right hand while the left controls the gun. If I just want to throw one into the chamber ASAP I rack the gun open, holding it with the left hand on the forearm and toss a round in with the right hand again. I've found those to be faster FOR ME than some of the more commonly taught "tactical" loading methods. Just as a FWIW, I've found very few people who can keep the muzzle anywhere near the target if holding with just the firing hand and keeping the gun shouldered unless they are using a very short barrelled gun.

GJM
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
I have taken a bunch of high level shotgun courses, which focus a lot of time on reloading, and excepting an unusual situation, my combat reload is to drop the shotgun and transition to my handgun.

As to loading the chamber from above or below, I think it depends on action type and whether you have a red dot, and there are pros and cons to each method.

Based on my experience, the best way to cut your 870 split times in half is to get a Beretta Storm or Benelli M2.

JAD
02-23-2013, 07:59 PM

Based on my experience, the best way to cut your 870 split times in half is to get a Beretta Storm or Benelli M2.
Yes, but it would double my reload times, because I'd shoot twice as much.

shootist26
03-05-2013, 02:52 PM
I have been shooting the piss out of my 870 this past month. I am new to shotguns, and most of my shotgun shooting has been on my range's 10yd line against a plate rack. I brought my timer out today and did some measuring. Split time between shots (8" plates @ 10yds, all hits) is ~0.6 seconds. My combat load time (shot, combat load, shot) is ~3 seconds. Not too good I am sure, but this is my starting point.

Give me some goals and par times to work towards. How much more can these times be cut?

Jay Cunningham
03-29-2013, 02:09 PM

In the meantime, what are your favorite shotgun skill builder drills? I have a class coming up this spring.

Also, some general questions:
- when combat loading and topping off the mag tube, do you keep the shotgun firmly shouldered or do you roll it into a "tuck" position (tucked underneath armpit, still in strong hand, pointed towards target)?

The first thing I'd suggest is spending your range time and ammo on what will provide the most value. I would question how much value engaging 8" plates at 10 yards with a shotgun provides. Is that a difficult drill for you? I think (unless the plates are very far apart, which they're not on a plate rack) that this is probably a really easy task with a shotgun. It's pretty much how fast can you operate the action and slap the trigger.

I think the one - reload - one drill is MUCH more useful. In fact, I think it makes sense to work a disproportionately large amount on shotgun reloads, since the magazine is so small and you need to keep the gun fed all the time.

shootist26
03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
The first thing I'd suggest is spending your range time and ammo on what will provide the most value. I would question how much value engaging 8" plates at 10 yards with a shotgun provides. Is that a difficult drill for you? I think (unless the plates are very far apart, which they're not on a plate rack) that this is probably a really easy task with a shotgun. It's pretty much how fast can you operate the action and slap the trigger.

I think the one - reload - one drill is MUCH more useful. In fact, I think it makes sense to work a disproportionately large amount on shotgun reloads, since the magazine is so small and you need to keep the gun fed all the time.

I work the plate rack because its the only steel targets on my range. I don't want to tear up the target stands. It's to improve my split times and working the action fast.

I do focus on practicing emergency reloads and "shoot 2-top off 2" type drills already. Just wondering if there are other good drills to do.

Jay Cunningham
03-30-2013, 12:53 PM
How about using only the outer two plates and leaving the middle ones down?