PDA

View Full Version : AR15 takedown pin breakage

Slavex
02-22-2013, 03:58 AM
anyone everyone broken a front or rear takedown pin on their AR15? if so, do you know why? anyone have any specs on the pins?

Tamara
02-22-2013, 07:21 AM
anyone everyone broken a front or rear takedown pin on their AR15?

I just wanted to say congratulations on finding a novel way to break a gun. That's a new one on me... :o

ETA: Although I've seen a lower receiver totaled by, presumably, someone applying enough force to the front takedown pin to snap one of the "ears" off the body of the receiver. The dude was dejected when told that the fix was another lower. "Can't you weld this back?" "Dude, just buy another lower."

orionz06
02-22-2013, 07:48 AM
I never have and I have assisted a fair portion of gun owners locally with whatever gun show deals they had. I'm not even sure how one would break it unless there was a material failure waiting to happen.

Jay Cunningham
02-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Never saw that one.

You can fix it with a zip tie, tho - true story!

Sparks2112
02-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Never saw that one.

You can fix it with a zip tie, tho - true story!

+1

S Jenks
02-22-2013, 10:08 AM
I broke a rear pin while at Parris Island, but those rifles had the snot kicked out of them.

We were told that if we were to snap the handguards off the -A2s during drill, we would get a pizza and allowed to sleep in late. 10 minutes later my rifle is hanging funny, hinged at the front pin. No pizza for me :(

Slavex
02-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Sorry, I didn't break one, just heard about it from someone else. I couldn't figure out how it could happen. Still trying to find specs. On them though.

Tamara
02-22-2013, 04:20 PM
We were told that if we were to snap the handguards off the -A2s during drill, we would get a pizza and allowed to sleep in late. 10 minutes later my rifle is hanging funny, hinged at the front pin. No pizza for me :(

Whoa, talk about snap and pop! You should have gotten pizza, 15 extra minutes in the morning, and honor man.