PDA

View Full Version : Converted glock 23 .40 S&W to .357 sig...now getting hit in the head with brass

ezthumper
02-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Had the barrel from Lonewolf for a little while, have not put much through it until today.

Noticed something odd...welts on my forehead from brass screaming back at me after firing. I would imagine it was certainly entertaining form a on lookers prospective, watching brass ricochet of some big ol' head..however, it makes it kind of difficult to focus.

Now thinking it through, I am guessing that the ejector is set for the .40, and having a bit hotter round, the slide is moving back a bit faster not giving it time to "lob" the spent round in a direction that does not use my head as a back stop.

If I am off on my assessment, a little insight would be great. And possibly a solution.

I love the way it shoots, however, not too crazy about the bouncing brass off the forehead thing.

GJM
02-19-2013, 10:28 PM
No issues switching between my Glock .40 and .357 Sig factory barrels in my Glock 22 and 23.

ST911
02-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Info required...

How old is your G23? The alphas in your ser#?
Depending on the above... Which extractor do you have in it? non-LCI, LCI (cast or machined)?
Replaced the RSA lately?
Do you have access to an OEM 357 barrel to compare?
Ammo you're shooting?
How old are your mags? Follower number?
Ejector should be marked 1882 for both 40 and 357. Double check?

Nephrology
02-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Could be that the barrel chamber spec is a little tight and is holding on to the brass a bit, retarding the unlocking of the action and causing the brass to come out weakly/on to your face.

In general I've seen a LOT of weird stuff on LWD barrels. Their feed ramps are much longer and steeper than on OEM barrels. I have seen a buddy's .357 SIG barrel fail to properly feed JHPs - classing nosedive into the feed ramp malf...

I would see if you can borrow a OEM barrel and replicate the problem to eliminate the aftermarket barrel as the source of error.

If your ejector handled .40 just fine, it should handle .357 SIG just fine. They have the same rear case dimensions and the ejector should strike them as well as the .40s.