PDA

View Full Version : My 2012 Deployment

Timbonez
02-17-2013, 11:24 PM
I had a couple of PMs with Serious student about the discussion going on in "Drone pilot medal to outrank Bronze Star..." Anyway he recognized my name from M4C and a thred I started there with "Pics From the Office." I promised him more pics this time from my 2012 deployment. The first pic was taken from a fellow squadron member of a night takeoff. The second is some random one another squadron member passed along, and the third is of yours truly. I'll try and find some more pics for you guys. Enjoy!

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h380/Timbonez/2012%20Deployment/image-1.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h380/Timbonez/2012%20Deployment/image-2.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h380/Timbonez/2012%20Deployment/image.jpg

Shokr21
02-17-2013, 11:33 PM
I have no idea about aircraft, other than I much prefer a c17 over a c130 when flying from BAF to Kuwait, what kind of airplane is that? Mission, use, capabilities. What ever you can share obviously. Cool pics thanks for sharing

Semi-serious/semi-related - What is it with pilots and mustaches? When I was in AFG in 10-11 every pilot was rocking a stache

Timbonez
02-17-2013, 11:39 PM
It's a B-1 or BONE. Used to be a nuclear only bomber, but now it's conventional only. We have a bunch of different mission sets/capabilities, but our primary role in this current conflict is close air support for the guys on the ground. Wikipedia has a pretty good write-up if you want more info.

As for the mustache, look up Robin Olds... ultimate bad ass. Unfortunately, the wife made me shave it when I got home.

Suvorov
02-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Love to watch you guys in the pattern every time I fly my Wheezing Brazilian Sh*t Bag up to KRAP!

You have one hell of a ride!

JM Campbell
02-18-2013, 12:09 AM
It's a B-1 or BONE. Used to be a nuclear only bomber, but now it's conventional only. We have a bunch of different mission sets/capabilities, but our primary role in this current conflict is close air support for the guys on the ground. Wikipedia has a pretty good write-up if you want more info.

As for the mustache, look up Robin Olds... ultimate bad ass. Unfortunately, the wife made me shave it when I got home.

And I bet the guys on the ground get the warm fuzzies every time the know your there! Thanks for keeping the men on the ground safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
02-18-2013, 01:03 AM
Woot! Thanks for showing off the pics, I do love to see shots like that. Pretty cool, rocking the Colt hat. :D

And I have a copy of "Fighter Pilot", the biography of Robin Olds. It's a interesting book, and worth reading for leadership lessons, along with John Boyd's books. Plus, just reading about how he went from flying in WWII to Vietnam, and all those changes was fascinating.

We used to have fun watching the B-1's practice out of Abilene, Texas. Sometimes you guys would really hustle a bunch of aircraft off, one after another. You would see people pull over on the side of I-20 to get out and watch.

Good times. :)

Like Skyline1 said, thanks for all you do.

Tamara
02-18-2013, 06:14 AM
You know, my inner airplane nerd used to be pretty lukewarm on the BONE, cracking the old joke about "What do you get when you have B-1, B-2, and B-52? Two bingo numbers and a strategic bomber! Hardehar!" and suchlike...

And then sometime back in '01, when such things were still very new and novel and YouTube hadn't been invented, one of the guys on TheFiringLine posted a link to a vid his kid had sent him of B-1s doing cool B-1 $#!+, all set to the tune of "Bodies" by Drowning Pool*.

That was good PR work from whatever kid in the squadron did that. Been a huge fan of the BONE ever since. Thank you for your service, Timbonez.

*Dude, I just realized that Drowning Pool's first album is exactly as old as Welcome To My Nightmare was when I was a senior in high school. I am not ready to hear the muzak version of "Bodies" in an elevator.

Tamara
02-18-2013, 06:27 AM
And I have a copy of "Fighter Pilot", the biography of Robin Olds.

I have sad news (http://twowheeledmadwoman.blogspot.com/2013/02/ed-rasimus.html) on that front. :(

Al T.
02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Saw a couple of B-1s on the ramp at a nice sandy air base. Never got to see one take off. :(

Kyle Reese
02-18-2013, 10:43 AM
I have no idea about aircraft, other than I much prefer a c17 over a c130 when flying from BAF to Kuwait

Amen to that.

Timbonez thanks for your service. Great pics.

RoyGBiv
02-18-2013, 11:19 AM
And then sometime back in '01, when such things were still very new and novel and YouTube hadn't been invented, one of the guys on TheFiringLine posted a link to a vid his kid had sent him of B-1s doing cool B-1 $#!+, all set to the tune of "Bodies" by Drowning Pool*.

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhUjRAWxOI8

Al T.
02-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Roy, IIRC, that's the one. :D

EMC
02-18-2013, 02:34 PM
???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhUjRAWxOI8

Ah that music brings back many memories. Seems like every predeployment classroom briefing in 2004 contained some type of motivational music video with this song set to everything that flies and blows things up. Drowning pool is the official band of the war on terror.

Shokr21
02-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Amen to that.

Timbonez thanks for your service. Great pics.

and the bastard flight crew told us there was no pisser in the C130. I had to chug a water bottle then piss in it about 5 hrs into the flight, I almost knocked over an 0-5 getting off the ramp cuz I had to piss so bad when we finally landed.

Tim, I did a little reading and I get it now. Thanks for the tips to some knowledge and thanks for the pictures. I can assure you that whenever we had CAS it was a very comforting feeling. Our CAS was typically little birds and UAV's, but you get the point.

SeriousStudent
02-18-2013, 07:28 PM
I have sad news (http://twowheeledmadwoman.blogspot.com/2013/02/ed-rasimus.html) on that front. :(

Oh dang, that is sad. I always enjoy looking up local authors, and chatting with them about their research. You always hear such fascinating things, that never made it into their books.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll raise a glass to the Major as well as the General, when I re-read the book.

JHC
02-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Awsome pics!!! Thanks much. I was not current on this topic and I'm glad to hear the use the BONE is being put to. Is it correct to assume its ideal weapons package are JDAMs, lots of JDAMs?

ezthumper
02-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Thank you for your service Timbonez.

I saw one of those was briefly at Minot during an open house, had the drop bread not bombs crowd around one wigging out, did not like getting jacked up I guess.

So, how do you B-1 guys get along with the BUFF drivers?

BLR
02-20-2013, 07:33 AM
When I was a kid, F4G Wild Weasels flew out of WPAFB. F4s taking off with afterburners are truly awesome.

When crappy weather hit the east coast, B1s routinely stopped at WPAFB. The F4s didnt compare with those guys taking off. Standing in the Aero Club hanger (originally a F86 squadron building when WP was Wright Field) shook the structure to it's core.

B1s are badass aircraft, to be sure.

Cheers buddy, and thanks!

Timbonez
02-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Awsome pics!!! Thanks much. I was not current on this topic and I'm glad to hear the use the BONE is being put to. Is it correct to assume its ideal weapons package are JDAMs, lots of JDAMs?

In the CAS role, OUR best weapons are the variety of JDAMs we can carry. Stand-off, area denial, maritime, etc. all have their own considerations. We will always weaponeer the target with the best weapons we have available to us, whether that's in mission planning prior to the flight or in the air with a dynamic target.

ezthumper, I don't really interact with B-52 guys, but there is much shit talking on our side of the table, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same. That being said, our mission sets are very different despite both aircraft being bombers.

Bill, I've done plenty of pre-flights while deployed for guys flying that day/night and would then watch the take-off at the end of the runway. It's quite a sensation when they're full A/B.

SeriousStudent
02-20-2013, 11:54 PM

Bill, I've done plenty of pre-flights while deployed for guys flying that day/night and would then watch the take-off at the end of the runway. It's quite a sensation when they're full A/B.

The only thing I have seen as cool as those take-offs, was sitting on the beach near Kadena and watch the Habu's do a night launch. Those blue spheres in the exhaust are something else.

BLR
02-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Yep, firepower begins with weapons that have real guidance systems. Not pistols or rifles... :D

Odin Bravo One
02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Big fan of JDAMs.

Not a big fan of trying to give MGRS on the run to a bomber at 37,000 feet.........but it beats the alternative. And the bright side is, if you are wrong, you are very likely to never know it.

Zhurdan
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Watched three A-10's come in for a landing once. I was on the highway doing 65mph and was passing them like they were standing still. Man, they go slllooooowwww.

Timbonez
02-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Big fan of JDAMs.

Not a big fan of trying to give MGRS on the run to a bomber at 37,000 feet.........but it beats the alternative. And the bright side is, if you are wrong, you are very likely to never know it.

BOT with a description and 8 or even 6 digits will work. Saves you time from BOC. The BONE hasn't had a frat in either OIF/OEF (knock on wood).