PDA

View Full Version : Best problem ever

wmu12071
02-17-2013, 10:24 PM
My girlfriend has told me that she would like to buy me a gun and I can't make up my mind. There are so many options. My current "serious use" pistols are a rtf2 g17 and a gen 3 g19. Her budget is 500-600. I have thought about a gen 4 g19, a m&p 9, a cpo Sig, a cz75 compact. I even thought about trading in something with the cash for a P30L. Anyone have any advice?

Shokr21
02-17-2013, 10:40 PM
I'd get a duplicate of whatever you already have in the stable.

My wife did something similar for christmas this year. She "bought" me a shotgun, except she didn't actually buy it. She gave me a fistful of cash and told me to go pick which one I wanted. Would have been a lot easier had she just picked out one for me, I would have been happy and not had to deal with my typical first purchase in a platform decision problems.

Ended up with a Nova, but would have been happy with the other 2 she knew I was looking at.

LittleLebowski
02-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Training class and ammo.

Jay Cunningham
02-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Taurus Judge and Zombie Targets.

...or some ammo and a class.

:cool:

Tamara
02-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Training class and ammo.

He said her budget was five or six bills. Who lets you take a class these days with a single brick of deuce-deuce? (Assuming you can find some, of course...) :o

Chuck Haggard
02-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Training and ammo are always good.

Long term many folks (me included, but also smart guys like Doc) think that a guy doesn't need multiple pistols of different makes but three of the same make.

One for carry, one to train hard with, one for back up if you break gun #2 or get into a shooting and need to replace gun #1 being missing due to being in evidence.

I have seen way too many people be in the "what do I do now" boat because they didn't have those options covered when their carry and/or duty gun broke down or they got into a shooting and then had nothing else to fall back on. It's way more gooder to be able to reach into the safe and grab a twin to your carry gun instead of "what do I do now?".

In my book a G17 and G19 are close enough to get you by.

ETA, I think everybody needs a J frame though. Just sayin.

Jay Cunningham
02-18-2013, 11:25 AM
He said her budget was five or six bills. Who lets you take a class these days with a single brick of deuce-deuce? (Assuming you can find some, of course...) :o

If you limit yourself to instructors who charge $800 for a three day "experience" then yeah, that won't work out so well.

Tamara
02-20-2013, 09:56 PM
If you limit yourself to instructors who charge $800 for a three day "experience" then yeah, that won't work out so well.

I was referring to the $400 in .22LR it would cost to take, say, AFHF right now. :p

CCT125US
02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I was referring to the $400 in .22LR it would cost to take, say, AFHF right now. :p

I love my auto loader.... her name is Dillon 650

SecondsCount
02-21-2013, 12:52 AM
The ammo and a class is a good suggestion. Maybe get an M&P9c or like others have suggested, a 22. Either gun would be something you both could enjoy.

I love my wife....she bought me a Dillon 650. :cool:

BLR
02-21-2013, 07:29 AM
I love that I've been stock piling components since 2007.

If your doing the gun route (never a bad idea IMO) - yeah, I'd trade w/ cash for a P30 over anything else you listed.

Tamara
02-21-2013, 08:43 AM

I love being prepared enough that it'll be another three or four months before I decide if I need to break out the press and set it up for 9mm or go back to shooting .45 until the ammo pipeline is flowing good again. :p (Of course, my round count per month is also probably only a fifth or less of some of y'all's...)

Matt O
02-21-2013, 09:23 AM
I'd echo all of the training class/ammo recommendations. Honestly, the G17 rtf is the holy grail of glocks (imo) and isn't worth trading away. Unless, of course, you want to sell it to me, and then that choice is perfectly respectable. ;)

I love my wife....she bought me a Dillon 650. :cool:

Man, I need to convince my wife to do the same for me...along with moving out of the condo into a house where I can actually have a reloading set up.