PDA

View Full Version : proposed qualification course

jlw
02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
http://chiefweems.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/proposed-qualification-course/

File downloads and information at the link

Kevin B.
02-16-2013, 03:16 PM
I am having trouble opening the links. Any chance you can post the COF?

jlw
02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
I am having trouble opening the links. Any chance you can post the COF?

I'll upload them somewhere else to see if it works better.

jlw
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
The Google links weren't working for some folks; so, I uploaded the files to my blog for downloading.

jlw
03-05-2013, 07:09 PM
To update things:

A group of our instructors shot the course today. The average times on their first runs were in the high 50s. They shot it a second time and knocked five or so seconds each off of their times.

Some suggestions they made:

- toughen the time penalties for "points down" to give accuracy more emphasis than it is currently.
- incorporated a side-step on the draw on each of the failure drills at the seven to emphasize stepping off line of the threat
- using the barricade at the 15 as well to force both high and low cover

Mr_White
03-05-2013, 09:50 PM
To update things:

A group of our instructors shot the course today. The average times on their first runs were in the high 50s. They shot it a second time and knocked five or so seconds each off of their times.

Some suggestions they made:

- toughen the time penalties for "points down" to give accuracy more emphasis than it is currently.
- incorporated a side-step on the draw on each of the failure drills at the seven to emphasize stepping off line of the threat
- using the barricade at the 15 as well to force both high and low cover

Thanks for posting this.

From looking at the course, I doubt I'll end up thinking the accuracy penalty needs to be increased from where it is now. You are already on the same punitive level as the GSSF scoring system, which is to say twice as harsh as IDPA's scoring system. Hopefully I'll have a chance to shoot it soon.

Where, relative to the cover, is the shooter located on the 25 yard strings?

jlw
03-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks for posting this.

From looking at the course, I doubt I'll end up thinking the accuracy penalty needs to be increased from where it is now. You are already on the same punitive level as the GSSF scoring system, which is to say twice as harsh as IDPA's scoring system. Hopefully I'll have a chance to shoot it soon.

Where, relative to the cover, is the shooter located on the 25 yard strings?

I'm using the IDPA definition for cover although we teach not to stick the gun out past cover like so many IDPAers do.

Mr_White
03-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm using the IDPA definition for cover although we teach not to stick the gun out past cover like so many IDPAers do.

Sorry jlw, I wasn't clear. My question is about this part of the description of the 25 yard string: "Draw and move to cover..."

If you move to cover, where did you start?

jlw
03-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Sorry jlw, I wasn't clear. My question is about this part of the description of the 25 yard string: "Draw and move to cover..."

If you move to cover, where did you start?

I usually take my shooting position and then take a side step outside of cover. When the string starts, I just take that side step back. All that is required is to be outside of cover so that the shooter has to move to a firing position.

Mr_White
03-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Gotcha, thanks!

Mr_White
03-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Shot this yesterday.

Total score was 26.54, which included 4 seconds penalty points/time. I tried to shoot it clean, but I guess I didn’t try hard enough…I only felt like I could spare 30 rounds in this time of ammo famine, so I just shot it the one time.

For reference, I am classified B in USPSA. I am not officially classified in IDPA, but when I shoot the IDPA Classifier (outlaw, with AIWB and concealment) I seem to shoot between 70 and 90 seconds, including penalties, and apparently depending on my stress level. I have never shot the SQC.

jlw
03-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Shot this yesterday.

Total score was 26.54, which included 4 seconds penalty points/time. I tried to shoot it clean, but I guess I didn’t try hard enough…I only felt like I could spare 30 rounds in this time of ammo famine, so I just shot it the one time.

For reference, I am classified B in USPSA. I am not officially classified in IDPA, but when I shoot the IDPA Classifier (outlaw, with AIWB and concealment) I seem to shoot between 70 and 90 seconds, including penalties, and apparently depending on my stress level. I have never shot the SQC.

Thanks. Our guys have gotten their times down in the low 40s. I expect to see continued improvement.

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. I have recently shot a couple of 102.xx scores on the IDPA classifier. I am thinking mid to high 30s for me trying to keep it "clean" at the 25.