PDA

View Full Version : MD: LE recruit shot in head by instructor

pax
02-16-2013, 12:52 PM
From http://www.emsworld.com/news/10880287/maryland-police-recruit-shot-during-training-fighting-for-life

The victim was shot in the forehead by Officer William S. Kern, who mistakenly fired his service weapon rather than a paint pistol, according to The Baltimore Sun.

A source close to the probe told Sun reporters that troopers are exploring whether the incident occurred during horseplay as opposed to real training.

Kern, who has been involved in training for more than a decade, fired his real weapon as the trainee peered at him through a window.

More at the link.

Sobering reminder that the safety rules always apply -- whether you're wearing your big boy pants or not.

pax

TGS
02-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Live ammo should never, ever, be on any person in any sort of force-on-force exercise or when handling dummy/simunitions for 360* demonstration purposes.

If only this instructor had read Todd's blog a few days ago, I actually discussed this.

JDM
02-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Awful.

Chuck Haggard
02-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Almost every single shooting stemming from FoF training that I am aware of has happened after lunch. Just an observation.

JDM
02-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Almost every single shooting stemming from FoF training that I am aware of has happened after lunch. Just an observation.

Because they strap up with a real gun for lunch and forget that very important detail when they come back?

DocGKR
02-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Correct...

TCinVA
02-16-2013, 08:42 PM
You're never too high-speed for a patdown prior to FOF.

Haraise
02-16-2013, 08:48 PM
RIP.:(

He died? I didn't see that in there?

JDM
02-16-2013, 08:52 PM
That was a presumption made by me. Ill edit my post.

Mitchell, Esq.
02-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Workman's Comp injury if ever one existed...

Chuck Haggard
02-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Because they strap up with a real gun for lunch and forget that very important detail when they come back?

Exactly.

When people relax on standards bad stuff happens. When people do a bit of quick FoF training on the fly, bad stuff happens.

Shellback
03-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Update here. (http://owingsmills.patch.com/articles/baltimore-city-officer-indicted-in-training-shooting)

A Baltimore City police officer has been indicted in Baltimore County on misdemeanor charges of second-degree assault and reckless endangerment, the Baltimore County State's Attorney's office said.

Officer William S. Kern, 46, allegedly shot a University of Maryland Baltimore police trainee in the head during a training exercise at the Rosewood Center in Owings Mills in February. The grand jury indictment identifies the trainee as Raymond Northern Gray.

Gray was critically injured.....