PDA

View Full Version : 40 S&W popularity outside the United States?

Joe Mamma
02-15-2013, 10:56 PM
How popular is 40 S&W outside the United States. Has 40 S&W established a foothold of popularity anywhere outside the U.S.? Does anyone have thoughts or predictions on how it will do outside the U.S. in the future?

Thanks.

Joe Mamma

Le Français
02-16-2013, 12:17 AM
How popular is 40 S&W outside the United States. Has 40 S&W established a foothold of popularity anywhere outside the U.S.? Does anyone have thoughts or predictions on how it will do outside the U.S. in the future?

Thanks.

Joe Mamma

Several LE agencies in Australia use the M&P40, to include the South Australia Police and the Victoria Police, if memory serves.

The European agencies I know of are happy with 9mm, a caliber that many on that continent consider quite potent.

BigT
02-16-2013, 01:16 AM
In South Africa its LE footprint is tiny with only one very small agency using it afaik.

Its civilian popularity is pretty big and seems to be growing. Obviously IPSC standard gun shooters use 40 plenty but also in carry gun circles we are seeing more and more of them. Nine is still the leader by a big margin but 40 is on the up.

Tamara
02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
The European agencies I know of are happy with 9mm, a caliber that many on that continent consider quite potent.

Their criminals tend to run smaller over there due to the snowier winters with less forage, plus they don't charge when wounded.

Le Français
02-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Their criminals tend to run smaller over there due to the snowier winters with less forage, plus they don't charge when wounded.

You're funny.

Chemsoldier
02-16-2013, 05:31 PM
I think the New South Wales police use .40 S&W also. The AFP uses 9mm.

JAD
02-23-2013, 06:53 PM

"The profusion of new pistols makes a detailed survey of the market too large a job for a newsletter. We may note, however, that the Europeans retain their preoccupation with the 9mm Parabellum cartridge. This is due primarily to the fact that the Europeans as a group are not interested in stopping power. As one Frenchman once told me, if in Europe you shoot a criminal, he sits down on the curb and bursts into tears. In America he will shoot back and kill you if he can. Different attitude."

TGS
02-23-2013, 11:25 PM

"The profusion of new pistols makes a detailed survey of the market too large a job for a newsletter. We may note, however, that the Europeans retain their preoccupation with the 9mm Parabellum cartridge. This is due primarily to the fact that the Europeans as a group are not interested in stopping power. As one Frenchman once told me, if in Europe you shoot a criminal, he sits down on the curb and bursts into tears. In America he will shoot back and kill you if he can. Different attitude."

You know what's funny, is that Europe only switched en-masse to 9mm from 32ACP and 380 because of the introduction of non-indigenous predators.

DocGKR,

Out of curiosity, have you ever tested the European self-defense loadings, such as the GECO Bat or RUAG Action line? What were the findings?

How about our South African forum members? Are such loads used in your locales, and what sort of reputation do they have?

BigT
02-24-2013, 12:33 AM
TGS back in the 80's and early 90's things like (handloaded) THV's where pretty popular. Now we do get a supply albeit limited of various American JHP's. Our LE pretty much all use 9mm ball, even though none of our badguys are French. I havent seen any of the European carry stuff in decades.

helonflorindo
02-24-2013, 09:30 AM
It's the standard caliber of brazilian police. A few weeks ago, the gov authorized the .45.