PDA

View Full Version : Holsters - do you prefer them to cover the mag release, or no?

Byron
02-15-2013, 05:03 PM
While I've seen tangential mention of this in assorted holster threads, my search for a central thread did not produce what I was looking for. If there is a thread that I missed, any links would be appreciated.

Do members have any hard preference on whether or not your holster covers your pistol's mag release? I have a variety of holsters from different makers, some of which completely cover the mag release, some which don't cover it at all, and some that are in-between.

While I would think that covering the mag release would theoretically provide more security against accidentally dumping a mag, I've never actually had a mag spontaneously eject on me, even when tussling around. On the contrary, I find that unless a holster is specifically designed around the particular mag release I'm using, it might actually put more pressure on the mag release, partially depressing it.

For example, my Shaggy covers the mag release, but seems to have been molded around a standard length mag release. Therefore, when I holster up a Glock that has an extended release, it has a minor amount of pressure applied to it by the holster. I'm tempted to trim back this part of the holster, but I don't like to modify gear without thoroughly thinking through the issue. As such, I'm interested in thoughts that people have.

Especially in classes, I like being able to swap mags with the pistol still holstered. Obviously an uncovered mag release makes this easiest, but even the Shaggy will let me get the mag out so long as I apply a little more pressure.

John Ralston
02-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Unless it is a kydex rig, covering the mag release will almost guarantee that you will dump mags inadvertently. You also can't do any in holster admin functions, since you can't get the mag out while the gun is in the holster.

orionz06
02-15-2013, 07:02 PM
I do not cover it whenever possible.

Prdator
02-15-2013, 07:03 PM
I prefer that they DO NOT cover the mag release, and build my Keeper that way. This is for a belt mounted holster, for a pocket holster or such then it will be dependent on carry position and preference.

JV_
02-15-2013, 07:04 PM
I prefer an uncovered release.

JDM
02-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Uncovered please.

TGS
02-15-2013, 07:25 PM
I have no preference as long as the holster is functional.

You also can't do any in holster admin functions, since you can't get the mag out while the gun is in the holster.

This isn't true for all makes. My Shaggy has a covered mag release....all it takes is to get the gun past the "pop" of the kydex so that I can use the mag release. The gun is still very much in the holster. Doing so has not drawn any negative attention from Todd nor SouthNarc in the 4 classes I've taken with them, so I'm taking it as acceptable.

MDS
02-15-2013, 07:26 PM
I choose naked

JHC
02-15-2013, 07:47 PM
I have no preference as long as the holster is functional.

This isn't true for all makes. My Shaggy has a covered mag release....all it takes is to get the gun past the "pop" of the kydex so that I can use the mag release. The gun is still very much in the holster. Doing so has not drawn any negative attention from Todd nor SouthNarc in the 4 classes I've taken with them, so I'm taking it as acceptable.

I would like that. I have two Gen 3's with Vickers mag releases that get popped loose from time to time carrying in holsters that don't cover them. Never seen it yet with Gen 4 mag releases in the same holsters.

seabiscuit
02-15-2013, 07:53 PM
I removed the portion of my Comp-Tac Infidel that covered the mag release. I didn't like not being able switch mags in-holster, and my skin would get pinched between the mag release and the holster - painful and startling. I don't want to be startled when I'm holstering.

I occasionally check to make sure my mag is fully seated. Might be a tell, but I like the reassurance.

TGS
02-15-2013, 09:43 PM
I would like that.

This might be something to do with me using an HK, and the HK mag release as opposed to a button.

Actually, if my nails aren't freshly clipped, I can usually activate the mag release without popping the gun by wedging my nail in between the release and the kydex holster. Not something I usually do though as it's uncomfortable.

John Ralston
02-15-2013, 11:29 PM
This might be something to do with me using an HK, and the HK mag release as opposed to a button.

Actually, if my nails aren't freshly clipped, I can usually activate the mag release without popping the gun by wedging my nail in between the release and the kydex holster. Not something I usually do though as it's uncomfortable.

I definitely would agree with the HK reasoning...when you have a covered button, a little pressure on the side of the holster and you can pop the mag. Not so with a paddle.

MEH
02-16-2013, 08:51 AM
I removed the portion of my Comp-Tac Infidel that covered the mag release....

I run an Infidel too and before today had never noticed if the mag release is covered or not. It's about half way covered. No way could I release it with out some sort of skinny tool or pulling the pistol out by about a 1/4". Never needed it while holstered, so never noticed it. I kinda like it covered (kydex) because it keeps me from messing with the pistol/mag, especially when I shouldn't be messing with the pistol/mag.

Byron
02-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone. You've eliminated the last bit of apprehension I had about modifying my Shaggy.

Tamara
02-18-2013, 08:56 AM
I do not cover it whenever possible.

...that saves me having to pull up my gun burkha and double-check. :D

flux
02-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Not AIWB,but I'm happy the supertucks/mtacs leather doesn't touch the mag release.

YammyMonkey
02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
I prefer it to be protected, but not necessarily covered, because I carry AIWB, shoot left handed and keep the mag release in the standard orientation. I have had mags release when I was leaning against a counter or bumped into something. Those instances were very specific, repeatable and not necessarily avoidable without my actions being seen as a little odd in that context.

orionz06
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
I prefer it to be protected, but not necessarily covered, because I carry AIWB, shoot left handed and keep the mag release in the standard orientation. I have had mags release when I was leaning against a counter or bumped into something. Those instances were very specific, repeatable and not necessarily avoidable without my actions being seen as a little odd in that context.

Noted for future use with lefties*

ToddG
02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Noted for future use with lefties*

The last holster I ever got from Milt Sparks had a similar problem. It was for a SIG P229 and they assumed the mag catch would be in the traditional location. I reversed mine, and even a slight bump was enough to eject the mag. Holsters for guns with reversible mag buttons should work properly regardless of which side the mag button is on.

Steve S.
02-22-2013, 07:57 PM
A small shield on the paddle mag releases (HK Walther etc) can go a long way in helping prevent inadvertent mag ejection when bumping something.

Steve S.
02-22-2013, 07:58 PM
The last holster I ever got from Milt Sparks had a similar problem. It was for a SIG P229 and they assumed the mag catch would be in the traditional location. I reversed mine, and even a slight bump was enough to eject the mag. Holsters for guns with reversible mag buttons should work properly regardless of which side the mag button is on.

My philosophy is clear the area. If someone wants it covered, I won't oblige. If a user is comfortable running the mag release facing outwards, then I'm not getting blamed for mags shooting out.

JMS
02-24-2013, 01:51 PM
PARTIALLY covered. With a partial or full body shield, there's no room for the gun to push against a mag-release-button cover that's spaced well; the side of the gun is resting against kydex in all axes around the button = no inadvertent activations.

Given that, I don't have to lift the gun to do conduct any in-holster magazine tasks. I might have only about 1/3 of the thing exposed, and it's more than enough to do that.

JHC
02-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Thread has me thinking and I'm not sure where I'd come down on it now. I'm tending to think the uncovered may have the stronger argument. But I what I have no doubt about is I'll be removing the Vickers mag releases from a a couple Gen 3 19s and a 26. I walked back into the family room last night and saw a 19 mag on the floor. And the pistol IWB was missing one. I've been noticing this only with IWB carry of the Gen 3 G26 and the Gen 3 19s so equipped. Might be the super thin FIST holsters. But I've carried Gen 4s mostly the last couple years with the same holsters and never experienced similiar.

Back to OEM for the Gen 3's and the little voice always warned me of that as I'd never had an issue with the OEM. I only started using the TD one a couple years ago; I'd resisted that long.
I suspect - not sure - suspect that I've never seen this with the Gen 3 G17s because the long grip creates more standoff space for it.

I've never had it happen AIWB, only snug low riding IWB.

ToddG
02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
My philosophy is clear the area. If someone wants it covered, I won't oblige. If a user is comfortable running the mag release facing outwards, then I'm not getting blamed for mags shooting out.

I was unclear about the Milt Sparks holster that caused me so much trouble. The problem was that it did cover the mag button (when the mag button was reversed), and was molded expecting there to be no mag button there so it was putting a little pressure on the button at rest. The slightest bit of additional pressure on the outside of the holster, even from the belt, and the mag would pop.

On the other hand, I've run numerous Berettas, SIGs, M&Ps, and even a couple of Glocks with reversed mag buttons in both leather and kydex holsters that don't cover the mag button and could count on one hand the number of times a mag ejected prematurely over the past 15 years or so.